C877D7F2-795F-4220-901C-2282B98BF78F.jpeg
    Texas SOT

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    357 mag out of a lever gun gets down pretty good. Almost into 7.62x39 territory. Granted it won't be as ballistically efficient due to the projectile shape, but should be good enough for 2-250 yards. Then you can shoot 38 special for fun plinking and even have a great excuse to pick up a revolver to go with it.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    357 mag out of a lever gun gets down pretty good. Almost into 7.62x39 territory. Granted it won't be as ballistically efficient due to the projectile shape, but should be good enough for 2-250 yards. Then you can shoot 38 special for fun plinking and even have a great excuse to pick up a revolver to go with it.

TreyG-20,

At least here in the South TX "brush country" or in the swamps/bayous of East Texas (where our farm & lease are), a .357MAG rifle/carbine is PLENTY POWERFUL for any game that a hunter is likely to see, FINE for home/farm defense, easy to maintain & YES the ammo is EASY to find most everywhere in Texas..

yours, satx

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Some of the CETME’s have fluted chambers....so it does a number on the brass. If you reload, you likely cannot reuse that once fired (now fluted) brass.

From what I understand, you can reload it. It's just going to be ugly as sin and probably not last as long as brass fired in a normal chamber. The bigger issue is the gun beating the tar out of your brass when it ejects it. Thats if you can even find the brass after it chucks it into the next county. My Hakim is like that. It'll damn near rip the rim off the cartridge and before I added a leather buffer to the deflection bar, it would dent brass horribly. The dent would go halfway through the case. I'm working on trying to get it tamed down.

Last edited:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    From what I understand, you can reload it. It's just going to be ugly as sin and probably not last as long as brass fired in a normal chamber. The bigger issue is the gun beating the tar out of your brass when it ejects it. Thats if you can even finds the brass after it chucks it into the next county. My Hakim is like that. It'll damn near rip the rim off the cartridge and before I added a leather buffer to the deflection bar, it would dent brass horribly. The dent would go halfway through the case. I'm working on trying to get it tamed down.
    The CETME style rifles dent the shit out of your brass. My HK91 leaves a big dimple in the side where it bounces off the ejection port on the way out. And that is with the "buffer sleeve" they make for the ejection port. It used to be really bad.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    An AR15 carbine in 5.56 is just hard to beat. So easy to adapt to just about any configuration that a person could think of. Excellent aftermarket support for parts and accessories for the AR platform.

An AR carbine with the sliding buttstock is one handy rifle. Not an SBR for sure, but still plenty compact enough for most people and situations.

Ammo is probably going to be a bit pricy right now, but it just so common, that a person should still be able to get ammo for it.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'll echo some suggestions...get an AR carbine and add front vfg or afg. Or...drop the dough on an AK and just leave it be. The ptr and cetmes are really heavy rifles and ammo cost is about double.

Even better, buy one of my dpms oracle's with no BOS required. As far as I recall I sold them all at gun shows!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle in 5.56 NATO (not in 223) or the Ruger Mini 30 in 7.62x39 mm.

AR-10 in 308 in stock as I type at PSA.

I'd shy away from pistol caliber carbines just because you never know when you'll need more. Even though you cannot imagine it right now, the time may come sooner than you think. Heard some unverified, as of yet, rumor that Joe Biden plans to get a gun tax going on guns already owned, that may make a situation where you need a rifle caliber come around sooner than later if true. As I said though, just a rumor that I heard but I imagine he will be doing some crazy anti-gun stuff as soon as he is sworn in in January and that looks inevitable.

Last edited:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Fewer sources, by far, for 30 Carbine ammo than there is for 5.56 NATO right now.
    Surplus 30 Carbine ammo IN Stock @ decent prices still.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I love PCC's but.....PCC's are great for the range and super close quarters but it's always been my thought (for defensive use) that if I am going to get something the size of a rifle I would rather have a rifle caliber. We'll have to wait and see what happens with the arm brace shenanigans but currently you can't go wrong with a 10-11 inch AR/AK pistol with an adjustable brace for the distances you are talking about. You'll be deaf for sure but you'll have an effective means of defending you life, liberty, and happiness.

ETA: I like the C308 but if you are going the 308 route, I'd definitely go with an AR-10 due to ease of adaptability and AR manual of arms. AR's are just easier rifles to manipulate. YMMV.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Yeah, but it's a smooth shooting classic if you can find one at a decent price!

Charlie,

With US .30 Carbines selling for over 1000.oo, WHERE will you find a decent carbine "at a decent price"??
    (I well remember 20 buck carbines from the DCM & didn't buy one then.)

NOTE: What makes me ILL is the number of "fifty buck" 1911 pistols that I did NOT buy.
    (In 1972 I bought a US&S 1911 for 40.oo plus tax in Longview, Texas at a GUN STORE. - SHOT WELL ,too.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom