• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    My experience with Ruger is vastly different.
    Unshrouded carrier. Extension tube and charging handle out of spec. Their own design on the delta ring. No heat shielding for hand guards. Trash.

my ruger is uses stag parts. Gtg now.

Reactions: MTA

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yup... that's the type of answer I was looking for with that question.

Right now it's a toss up between the Savage Arms MSR 15 Recon and a Springfield Saint.

The Savage is $899.00 at Cabela's which I can order and $799.00 Academy which, it appears, I can not order.

The Springfield is $849.00 at Academy but I'm not even sure I can order it and Cabela's doesn't list it.

If it's chambered for 5.56 Nato/.223 Rem I'm assuming that's not the prefered Wylde chamber.

I'm still looking but I am starting to reach the end of the funnel....

Don't worry about the Wylde vs 556 chamber. Either chamber will shoot both 5.56 and .223 just fine. The Wylde theoretically gives you slightly better accuracy, though most shooters will never be good enough shots to actually see that difference. My 5.56 chambers provide a far higher degree of accuracy than is necessary for anything short of precision benchrest shooting. Unless shooting tiny groups at long ranges is your thing, don't worry about it. Just get whichever gun suits you better.

I'd argue that the benefits of a free float tube far exceed the benefits of a Wylde chamber. They are not absolutely necessary, but are very nice to have nonetheless. You don't want anything interacting with the barrel that doesn't have to be. For example, if you are shooting from a rest and want to push your handguard down onto it to get a really stable platform to shoot off of, the free float tube is going to ensure that your point of impact doesn't change. A non-freefloated handguard is going to push against the barrel if you do this and cause your point of impact to shift. Like I said though, it's not absolutely necessary and is always something you can upgrade to in the future.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I'd buy the S&W M&P sport 2 if I was looking for my first AR. I think it offers a lot of value for the money, and you would have plenty to spare for optics, ammo to train and room to upgrade if needed. It is certainly minute of man to 500 yards as is out of the box and has good enough quality to go the long haul.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Finding anything in complete rifle in stock = NOPE! I did see some Rugers at Field and Stream that had a $1,250.00 price tag on them but I couldn't get close enough, without asking to hold one - which I did not want to do, to tell what model they were. Soooo... in the end placed the order for the fully assembled Ultimate LaRue w/Stealth barrel upper and stripped lower. Got mags coming from MagPul(I think that's where they're coming from) need to decide on sights(s) iron and optics maybe? Picked up 1200 rounds green tips soooo... looks like I'll be putting one together here one of these days

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Don't worry about the Wylde vs 556 chamber. Either chamber will shoot both 5.56 and .223 just fine. The Wylde theoretically gives you slightly better accuracy, though most shooters will never be good enough shots to actually see that difference. My 5.56 chambers provide a far higher degree of accuracy than is necessary for anything short of precision benchrest shooting. Unless shooting tiny groups at long ranges is your thing, don't worry about it. Just get whichever gun suits you better.

I'd argue that the benefits of a free float tube far exceed the benefits of a Wylde chamber. They are not absolutely necessary, but are very nice to have nonetheless. You don't want anything interacting with the barrel that doesn't have to be. For example, if you are shooting from a rest and want to push your handguard down onto it to get a really stable platform to shoot off of, the free float tube is going to ensure that your point of impact doesn't change. A non-freefloated handguard is going to push against the barrel if you do this and cause your point of impact to shift. Like I said though, it's not absolutely necessary and is always something you can upgrade to in the future.

Pretty good points. And they make very good sense if a person is looking for a more precision accurate AR platform. Add in a quality barrel and trigger, and good optics and today's AR's can hold their own in accuracy with many bolt action rifles.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I have perused the last 10 pages of this thread.
    Wow! What a truckload of web based, misguided, well intended, bullshit.
    OP. Just get a AR-15 in 5.56 or Wylde with a 1-8 twist barrel.
    I need a shower. I'll be back in a bit to lay out some personal experience and "who built what" truths.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I have perused the last 10 pages of this thread.
    Wow! What a truckload of web based, misguided, well intended, bullshit.
    OP. Just get a AR-15 in 5.56 or Wylde with a 1-8 twist barrel.
    I need a shower. I'll be back in a bit to lay out some personal experience and "who built what" truths.

Take the shower; don’t waste the time on a response.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Finding anything in complete rifle in stock = NOPE! I did see some Rugers at Field and Stream that had a $1,250.00 price tag on them but I couldn't get close enough, without asking to hold one - which I did not want to do, to tell what model they were. Soooo... in the end placed the order for the fully assembled Ultimate LaRue w/Stealth barrel upper and stripped lower. Got mags coming from MagPul(I think that's where they're coming from) need to decide on sights(s) iron and optics maybe? Picked up 1200 rounds green tips soooo... looks like I'll be putting one together here one of these days

If you are going to build the lower, I'd HIGHLY recommend picking up a LaRue MBT. It is MUCH better than any milspec trigger, but is still pretty darn cheap. https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Take the shower; don’t waste the time on a response.
    Shower is done. I feel good. Good enough anyway.
    Let's do this.

TL:DR version for most of y'all.
    The .223 Remington cartridge and the 5.56 nato cartridge vary only slightly. This variation is in the cartridge base to case mouth length.
    The neck of a 5.56 nato is a few or more thousands longer than a sammi .223. A certain amount of 5.56 can, if chambered in a .223 rifle, jam the brass upon the end of the chamber and result in the brass being compressed onto the bullet. "excessive crimp". That's what creates the high pressures. Not internal capacity. Not nato powder charges. Not "weak stuff from remington". The only thing a "wylde" chamber does is hit a "happy medium"on throat length. Perhaps a longer jump to the lands, depending on manufacturer.

I started shooting .223 in the early 1980s. 1-12 twist was the norm. I found I had to download 40 grain bullets to stabilize and give satisfactory accuracy.
    My fudd finally relented in the mid 2000s. My 1st AR-15 was a 5.56 chambered 1-9 twist. It still shoots 1/2 MOA with 69 gr bullets. Does better with 55 gr.
    A few "black rifles" later, I still find mid 60 grain to be the best overall. Twist rates up to 1-7 included.

Personally, I've worked enough 5.56 brass to sink a ship. Every one that was marked .233 rem needed minimal trimming. Any marked 5.56/circle cross would make a brillo pad from the trimmings by the time it met sammi specs.

There's a reason why 5.56 shouldn't be fired in a barrel marked for .223. It's not about "weak metal" or "sammi pressures". It's about dimensions. Plain and simple.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm

I’d check out the GUNS FOR SALE on the forum. There is a .308 advertised ( and it ain’t mine.....yet) that might fit your requirements.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    As posted earlier... I pulled the trigger on the LaRue PredatAR 5.56. I originally configured it with the stealth barrel but changed that and ordered the PredatAR 16" barrel. Both of the barrels had the Wylde chambering. I did order the MBT 2 stage trigger and a stripped LaRue billet LT-15 lower.

Total out the door including shipping and tax came to $1,080.28.

Now I'm doing the optics battle....

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    As posted earlier... I pulled the trigger on the LaRue PredatAR 5.56. I originally configured it with the stealth barrel but changed that and ordered the PredatAR 16" barrel. Both of the barrels had the Wylde chambering. I did order the MBT 2 stage trigger and a stripped LaRue billet LT-15 lower.

Total out the door including shipping and tax came to $1,080.28.

Now I'm doing the optics battle....
    That’s not bad.

Top Bottom