• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I have been reading up on reloading online and It seems to be pretty cost effictive.

I figured I would break even after 1000 rounds including equipment.

I have been looking at a lee pro 1000 press.

As a starter would you recomend this press? Or would you recomend a different brand? I'm trying to keep the press price around $150.
    Military Camp

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I was looking at the next one up. I forgot the name. It's a little over $200. We figured we would be ahead at around 2000 rounds.

Tired Retired

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    DFW Area
    I have reloaded on and off for years and have gone thru several different set-ups to get to where I am at. You will find that it will become a seperate hobby from shooting and it is VERY addictive. IMHO, you may want to look at several other factors in making your decisions about your initial set-up/investment:

1) First, what volume will you be reloading? Reloading 100 rounds a month can be easily done with little time with a low-end, single stage pressand you will not break even on a lareg investment for some time. If you shoot enough to require 2,000 a month, then you will either have to go to a progressive, multi-stage press or spend alot of time punching them out on a single stage. No matter what press you buy, the cost of your dies will be the same.

2) Second, what caliber or multiple calibers will you be reloading? For a specific number of rounds, your "savings" will be greater for .45 ACP or .44 Mag than they will be for 9 mm or .223 right now. And for each additional cailber, you have the cost of the dies, shell holder, primer base holder (for hand primers), case trimmer, etc.

3) Which do you "value" more: your time or the accuracy of each round? Progressive loading is very fast, especially with a high end machine. However, you get the best accuracy with batch reloading, especially if you measure each powder charge with a quality electronic scale. One "costs" you time, the other "saves" you time.

4) Pay now or pay later? Some people have the opinion that you should invest in the best equipment you can possibly afford up front. Some people think it is better to learn on more affordable, middle-cost equipment and then "trade up" later if you choose to stick with reloading. Thats a personal choice. I will tell you from my personal experience, I started cheap while in college because of economic limitations (hell, I was broke!) and continously upgraded over the years. But that is my point, I am always upgrading when I have a few extra dollars. I doubt that I would have everything I wanted or needed even if I own Lyman's or RCBS.

Ok, enough lecture and preaching. All this typing has remined me that I got to get some brass out of the tumbler.

Good luck and enjoy your new hooby! P.S. I can tell you where the local R.A. (Reloaders Anonymous) is meeting if you need it.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I have reloaded on and off for years and have gone thru several different set-ups to get to where I am at. You will find that it will become a seperate hobby from shooting and it is VERY addictive. IMHO, you may want to look at several other factors in making your decisions about your initial set-up/investment:

1) First, what volume will you be reloading? Reloading 100 rounds a month can be easily done with little time with a low-end, single stage pressand you will not break even on a lareg investment for some time. If you shoot enough to require 2,000 a month, then you will either have to go to a progressive, multi-stage press or spend alot of time punching them out on a single stage. No matter what press you buy, the cost of your dies will be the same.

2) Second, what caliber or multiple calibers will you be reloading? For a specific number of rounds, your "savings" will be greater for .45 ACP or .44 Mag than they will be for 9 mm or .223 right now. And for each additional cailber, you have the cost of the dies, shell holder, primer base holder (for hand primers), case trimmer, etc.

3) Which do you "value" more: your time or the accuracy of each round? Progressive loading is very fast, especially with a high end machine. However, you get the best accuracy with batch reloading, especially if you measure each powder charge with a quality electronic scale. One "costs" you time, the other "saves" you time.

4) Pay now or pay later? Some people have the opinion that you should invest in the best equipment you can possibly afford up front. Some people think it is better to learn on more affordable, middle-cost equipment and then "trade up" later if you choose to stick with reloading. Thats a personal choice. I will tell you from my personal experience, I started cheap while in college because of economic limitations (hell, I was broke!) and continously upgraded over the years. But that is my point, I am always upgrading when I have a few extra dollars. I doubt that I would have everything I wanted or needed even if I own Lyman's or RCBS.

Ok, enough lecture and preaching. All this typing has remined me that I got to get some brass out of the tumbler.

Good luck and enjoy your new hooby! P.S. I can tell you where the local R.A. (Reloaders Anonymous) is meeting if you need it.

Preach on brother! Thanks for advising us on our new "hooby". ;) For now, I want to reload 45 ACP and 12 guage shot shells. In a while, maybe I'll reload 303 British and 450 Weatherby Mag.

bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the info guys.

I want to shoot as much as I can. I know I can get some 1 step loaders pretty cheap. But while looking at prices its the spend a little bit more to get more.

I have seen the Lee loades and from what I have read they are good for a basic setup. But they have the auto casing loaders, bullet loaders, primer loaders, ect.

I am looking at thier turrent setup 4 step, That will cost me about $150, or the load master for $250 it's a pregressive and looks pretty good.

Anyone on here use Lee brand presses? How are they for you?

The_Vigilante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Far West Texas
    I own a Lee Classic Single Stage press, Lee Classic Turret press, and a Lee Loadmaster Progressive. All are sturdy presses. For your situation I would recommend a Lee Classic Turret Press Kit. It can be used as a single stage or a turret. Kits can be found at Cabela's or Kempf. Good luck.

Tired Retired

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    DFW Area
    I have used Lee presses exclusively over the years. They are durable, well built and relatively lightweight. My main one right now if a Lee Breech Lock Challanger single stage. I also am using a 3-hole Turret Press that I first got in the 80's. Friends I have known over the years have had a mixture of all the brands. Its kinda like the difference between car makers. There are alot of different pickup trucks on the road, and they all haul things. We all just have a preference between Chevy, Ford and Dodge. I have a mix of manufacturers for other equipment (dies, scales, measures, trimmers, tumblers, etc). However, I do make a strong recommendation that you get carbide dies for any straight wall cases you reload.

I personally will not go with any form of progressive presses. I had a squib load in a revolver about 25 years ago and I have only done batch loading ever since. Yea, it takes alot more time, but I will throw about 25 powder charges and the then visually inspect each case with a bright light to insure that the powder levels are equal. Yes, your eyes will pick up slight variations. It also makes for incredibly accurate lots of ammo.

The advice I give friends when they start is simple - get a good inexpensive kit with all the basics. While this may require use of several labor intensive equipment pieces (scales, press, etc), you will learn the basics of reloading from the beginning. As your skills and knowledge level increase, you can always get better equipment thru upgrade or "trading up". Starting with an RCBS Pro2000 as a first kit will make some bullets, but will you really understand what you are doing?

Remember, grasshopper... wax on, wax off....

Tired Retired

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    DFW Area
    Its got most of what you need. If its in your budget, then its a good starter kit. Oh, don't for get manuals... the basic is "ABC's of Reloading" .... and it doesnt hurt to find someone in your area or gun club that is willing to start you out. Good luck and good shooting!

The_Vigilante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Far West Texas
    I really would recommend the Classic Turret kit over the regular Turret kit. I originally purchased the Turret kit you describe but when I read the reviews of the Classic Turret I traded my press for the Classic. It is a lot sturdier than the regular turret and has the tube to get rid of the old primers.

Tired Retired

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    DFW Area
    My first Lee turret press was purchased in 1984 I think... most companies have significantly changed and improved their equipment since then. That turret press was an upgrade from a Lee Loader, which as a .38spl handloading tool.... now that was S-L-O-W way to make cartridges!

cbunt1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Houston Area
    My first Lee turret press was purchased in 1984 I think... most companies have significantly changed and improved their equipment since then. That turret press was an upgrade from a Lee Loader, which as a .38spl handloading tool.... now that was S-L-O-W way to make cartridges!

Was that the Lee Loader where you provide your own hammers, and it's a set of punches and hand-held dies, or the hand-held press?

I've been considering starting out with one or the other (and having something to carry to the range with me if i wanted to build loads on the fly) but wasn't sure which would be better...

--Chris

Top Bottom