• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan29

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I recently traded off my last .40 (a Glock 27) for a S&W 637. I think its one of the best decisions I've ever made. I tend to carry my XD-45C most of the time and if I'm going somewhere where I don't want to bother with my XD. I'd much rather pocket carry the 637. The .40 round is great for some people, but I just can't get over the snappy recoil of the round. I far prefer the recoil of .38 +P to the .40 recoil. Call me crazy, but the .40 was becoming a safe queen.
    Gun Zone Deals

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    Been thinking the same thing. With ammo so expensive, the best way to buy is in bulk from ammoman or some operation like that ... and it's pricy to have to purchase six or seven different calibers. Been thinking of unloading my XD40 and getting an XD45 to go with my two 1911s, and unloading a PT25 and my old .38 ... already have a .22 and two .357s, which will shoot .38s, of course. I bet you'll see more of this if ammo gets any more costly ... with gas so high, hard to find the money for a range day ...

Texshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I used to have four .40 cals - Beretta M96, Walther P99, XD40 and a Browning Hi-Power. I never liked shooting that caliber so they all went for trades.

Tex

FlyinFast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Richardson
    I never warmed up to the round either. I have just one , a G23 for a car gun. I always thought the 40. answered a question that was never asked.

atxbandit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think the 40 just takes getting used to. When I first bought my Glock 23 my shots were all low and left compared to point of aim with my Beretta 92FS. Now I shoot the Glock better and its easy to conceal.

Mark F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...".

I have culled the herd a time or two, but ended up just replenishing the stock all over again.

Mark F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    .40 seems to be a sinking ship to some degree. Most people are opting for either .45 or 9mm these days.

I don't know about that Alan...

The XD40 and other newly released 40's are selling like hotcakes. I carry a CZ75B in 40 cal. and it's fantastic. I wouldn't accept "any" 9mm in its place. However, I would take a Kimber 45 Ultra-Carry III...

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have an 8040 Cougar{Beretta} I really like the gun but I do not shoot it very much anymore. When Wal-Mart had Blazer Brass .40 on sale for 7.00 per box last year I bought 40 boxes{ all they had, when they restocked it it was 14.00} But I will keep it as I do not sell guns.:D

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    I think the 40 just takes getting used to. When I first bought my Glock 23 my shots were all low and left compared to point of aim with my Beretta 92FS. Now I shoot the Glock better and its easy to conceal.

Yes sir, I agree 10000%!

When I first got my Beretta, I was lucky to hit the side of the barn...I'm more of a rifleman than a pistol shooter. Now I'm some what Surgical with it but I have sent close to 1000rds down range. Just recently I picked up a Glock 27...my first experience with a Glock and a Smith at the same time. So it's a whole new world to me. The gun handles and jumps around differently compared to my old pistols. It's also a heavier round than I'm used to shooting. So far I've sent a hair over 200rds down range and have the opinion that it's a faily accurate firearm/round. I still need a lot more practice to come close to my Beretta skills but I'm way better with the Glock than my 38spl.

Also, I suggest doing some practice with your deffense ammo. I ran some Gold Dot through the Glock to see the difference it would have being a compact model. The jumping around wasn't bad but it's a way heavely round...like 20grs. So I was shooting every which way but loose :o

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    .40 seems to be a sinking ship to some degree. Most people are opting for either .45 or 9mm these days.
    --------------
    I donno. .40 is a pretty popular round, especially with LE. I personally like the .40 better than the 9mm. Not trying to get into a this one is better than that one debate which never gets any where. But I just seem to shoot it better for some odd reason. You would think that with the heavier recoil it would be just the other way. I keep them both, just so I don't look like I'm a caliber snob ;)

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    The 40 is here to stay!

To get rid of your 40 caliber pistols just because some guy on a gun forum said they were going out of style would be completely stupid. The 40 caliber is here to stay because it works. A proven man stopper as shown by the number of LE agencys that have adapted them. I'll be keeping my MP 40.

atticus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    West Texas
    I really like my .40 cal. Steyr S-40. Compact, easy to conceal, 10 rd. magazine. It's a great shooter, with very little kick. Since it's a given that LE has invested heavily in .40 S&W handguns, I plan on keeping my .40 around. No worries.

snscott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Great Republic Of Texas
    While I prefer .45's and 9mm's, I do plan to hold on to my S&W MP40 and my Sig P226 in .40/357sig. I figure in a SHTF situation, it might be good to have firearms capable of consuming as wide a range of potentially available/expedient ammo that I can manage/afford.

Top Bottom