Join TexasGunTalk

Thinking hard about turning in someone for Stolen Valor

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by vmax, May 31, 2016.

1. vmax

vmax TGT Addict

Apr 15, 2013
    So, I've got this uncle, a bigger loser you have never seen. Hes in his late 60s age wise i think and was in the Army in the early 70s for 2 and 1/2 years and never left the states. His mother, my grandmother, somehow had him kept states side because he was the youngest son or something like that.
    anyway, its a known fact, he never left the states, my mother, his older sister knows that.

he got out and moved back in with his parents, moved out for awhile, married another loser, managed to produce 2 more losers and got divorced and moved back in with my grandparents and never did anything other than drink and lay around doing an odd job now and then.
    He managed to get a disabilty for being an alcholic and has basically ever held a job in 35 years

Now the SOB is running around wearing a Viet Nam Vet hat and telling everyone he is a combat veteran
    He managed to get a service connected disability and that is not too hard to do, I;m sure he has a 214
    But I guaran damn tee it says nothing about any deployements anwhere other than Ft Benning GA

some guy on facebook posted how he got to change the tire of a disabled vet and what an honor it was to listen to his stories and that this guy is a "true hero" for his service. My sister sent it to me and it makes me want to puke

My mom knows he is a liar and she wants him to stop telling everyone he was in Viet Nam, she says it dishonors everyone who went there and I agree

so his sister, (my mom) and me and my sister are about to drop a dime on him....
    not sure how to go about it

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. Countryfried Frank

Countryfried Frank Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Take a critical look at PC32.54. If you think this individual's conduct violates this then talk with the victim, the real victim that suffered a loss and not the"victim" that is butthurt. Encourage them to make the report. If they refuse, walk away and focus on enjoying your own life. It is hard (not impossible) to show that a crime occurred without a victim.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. Maverick44

Maverick44 Well-Known

May 5, 2016
    NE Texas
    You might have trouble getting him brought up on stolen valor charges (he technically is a vet), but I'd still let the cat out of the bag. At least then, most people around him will know he's a liar.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  4. Orbie

Orbie Born Texan TGT Supporter

Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    He needs to be made an example. He will only continue until someone puts a stop to it.

5. vmax

vmax TGT Addict

Apr 15, 2013
    Even if he has not violated the letter of the law
    What he is doing is still shameless and disgraceful

He just needs to stop
    It might take him being outed publicly

6. TAZ

TAZ Active Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Unless he is receiving his benefits fraudulently making shit up is not Stolen Valor. Wrong definitely, but illegal not so much. Pretty sure that the courts have ruled that the first amendment protects folks ability to make shit up, play dress up and what not to their hearts content. Unless they receive some tangible benefit like discounts and such there is no crime.

7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Having his friends find out should be enough to make him stop, unless there is more going on.

8. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Agreed. But if there is more going on, then this:

...becomes critically important.

The desire to "drop a dime" to officialdom may be heartfelt but it's not appropriate in every case.

Now, to go off on a tangent - What's a loser like this going to do in response? If he's so desperate for validation that he has to fabricate a service record, what happens when you take that from him? Yeah, he's sleazy. I'm not sticking up for him. But I have seen people go to such lengths while in the depths of long-term depression, which this guy seems to fit. I've also known them lose it (in various, even suicidal, ways) when their little fantasy is swept away.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  9. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    pics?

10. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No. Cleaning brain matter off the sheetrock is not something people tend to want to photograph.