Join TexasGunTalk

Thinking hard about turning in someone for Stolen Valor

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by vmax, May 31, 2016.

1. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    My draft board lady, during my interview after getting letter from LBJ, with me asking for just 3 more months to finish college, looked at me and simply said: "My son is in Vietnam!"

End of interview ... Good morning, Vietnam!

2. gshayd

gshayd Ugliest house on the block.

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Did that already :) I am also going to apply for the payment plan since my house is paid off

3. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well, if you’re 100%, that may change things or next year.

4. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Cruise Control

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    100% changes a lot of stuff. It's $3086 per month for the rest of your life. That's if it's service connected which it is. So figure out what it'd take to make $3000 after taxes and health insurance. Give it some perspective.

Zero property tax in Texas.

Now you can get dental through the VA.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  5. gshayd

gshayd Ugliest house on the block.

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I am retired military and Civil Service. The military is no longer offering dental to retirees. Luckily the dental insurance they had suggested I already have through my civil service retirement. I am not at 100% yet for this property taxes :(

grasshopperglock likes this.
  6. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Thank You for your service.

7. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    Beware. You might find that ANY DV property tax exemption is on a county by county basis in Texas.

In Harris county the maximum exemption is $12k for a disabled Vet of less than 100% ONLY if:
    • You have a disability rating of 100% disabled or of individual unemployability.
    on your homestead, and even that can be further disallowed by the various taxing districts within the county ... municipal, hospital, school, etc.

IOW a total fark'n rip off when the appraisal on your homestead goes through the roof ... paying lie to the concept of private property ownership in Texas.

Foregoing paying the extortion rate of even deferring taxes, at 8.5%/year, and see how far "private ownership" gets you.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  8. Deltaboy1984

Deltaboy1984 New Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Johnson County Texas
    My Mom had to get an U.S. Senator involved to get my WW2 Grandfather his benefit s from the VA. He was in 1936 till 1962. They said there were gaps in his record due to a fire in New Orleans! We got his stuff fixed and He got his services!

Sam7sf likes this.
  9. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I have extra people on mine. Some stooge at a VA computer entered the records of another veteran into mine. A veteran that's 15+ years older then me with some heavy duty medical problems.

Now I get asked the most incredibly funky crap during doctor visits.

10. rusty tweezers

rusty tweezers Active Member

Sep 24, 2014
    You have to think about turning them in