Join TexasGunTalk

Thinking hard about turning in someone for Stolen Valor

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by vmax, May 31, 2016.

1. Mr.candrews

Mr.candrews New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Rowlett

Great way to get them in the feels . :)

2. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Hell......I was in from 87 to 91 and I am considered a Vietnam era vet.......

3. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Not hardly, Vietnam Era ended in 1975.

BRD@66 and majormadmax like this.
  4. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Agreed, I served from 1981-2006, and I am not considered a Vietnam era vet.

Maybe he meant Cold War?

birddog and TxStetson like this.
  5. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    This might explain the remark:

The Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), which set the dates for classification for Vietnam Vets reflected below, was amended in 2014 to strengthen affirmative action requirements so that federal contractors and subcontractors improve their efforts to recruit and hire protected veterans:

https://adata.org/factsheet/VEVRAA

Despite its name, VEVRAA protections are not limited to Vietnam era veterans (generally defined as those veterans who served in Vietnam between February 28, 1961, and May 7, 1975). In addition, VEVRAA protects the employment rights of several categories of veterans. Called protected veterans, these are veterans who are:

Disabled veterans: Those who are “entitled to compensation…under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs” or “those who were released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.

• Recently separatedveterans;
    • Active duty wartime or campaignveterans;
    • Campaign badge veterans;or
    • Armed Forces service medalveterans.

6. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    When we got my father in laws DD214 so he could have miltary honors at his funeral, the form was burnt around the edges. It was a copy I think, but you could see the burn marks on his form.

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Everything I Own Is Paid For

Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    I was in June 61 to March 66 and am a Vietnam Era Vet. I am a legitimate member of the Vietnam Veterans of America. I don't claim to be a Vietnam War Vet, but I am. I, also, think that status is reserved for combat vets. However, there are clerk typists that served in Vietnam that claim to be War vets. My service was not combat, but it was service. I was 4 years in a Combat Support Group. At any minute I could have been packed up and sent to SE Asia. I went wherever I was told to go. I am a Vietnam Vet.

karlac and Dad_Roman like this.
  8. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    When the enemy is indigenous a mortar round or RPG does not discriminate with regard to MOS or location.

9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Everything I Own Is Paid For

Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    And spending 4 years in a USAF CSG on a Navy Ammunition Depot has some dangers too. I did my part and the clerk did his. We are both Vietnam Vets.

Maverick44, birddog and karlac like this.
  10. A & P Armory

A & P Armory Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    It kind of cuts both ways. It's true that technically anyone in the service can be deployed to do anything I guess. Some guy working admin in HQ stateside could have a gun shoved in his hands and put on the front. Probably not this day in age, but it probably did happen in WW2 and prior. Even service academy cadets are considered active duty and get a ribbon for being active during "wartime" (National Defense Service Ribbon). And without everyone doing their job, nothing gets done. So the admin clerk, the aircraft maintenance guy, and even the general's assitant, all have a role to play. Bronze or Silver Stars and Valor enhancements maybe separate the groups. And maybe it'd be more offensive if the stolen valor guy was fronting some CMoH or actual valor medals or PH or whatever. It is offensive, and as others said I think it's a crime if they even get a discount from the intentional misrepresentation.

What's irritating, though, is how gushing people are to say "thank you for your service" and especially the politicians, when the perception (and sometimes as elicited by the veteran) make it seem like they're on the front line. The recruiting commercials rarely show some balding guy with glasses sitting at a desk with a stack of personnel papers on his desk and a few stripes on his sleeve or a guy fetching coffee for some brass and laying out his uniform or whatever. The perception of the public is that everyone was taking fire like Hillary. Sure, all the jobs are needed. But there is clearly a difference between someone taking fire and putting their life in jeopardy every day versus the guy stationed CONUS that gets to go home to his family everyday at 5:30. And some of the veterans play up to that. They'll get all the freebies they can and front as if that limp wasn't from tripping over a dog's toy or some Legos but rather from that embedded shrapnel from 'Nam (despite being 40 yrs old). I'm sure everyone on here is familiar with the Navy SEAL stolen valor vids where the actual SEAL (forgive me for forgetting his name off the top of my head) outs these guys. Frequently the fake SEAL is a veteran, but was a cook or dropped out of basic.