• ...and so much more!
  • Hill Billy

USN 1974 -1977
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    My Glock discharged while I was taking my dog for a walk one day. I wasn't wearing a belt, nor a holster. While walking I had to keep pulling my pants up. Well, it discharged. It went into my thigh. Long story short, the VA Hospital in Cheyenne, Wyoming took excellent care of me. I paid Nothing. Plus, all the follow up exams were picked up by the VA. Keep in mind, this was NOT a military incident. I also keep in touch with those who took care of me. Thank GOD for the VA.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Well, you’ve got to file a claim to be determined to have a disability.

Contact your local DAV or other VSO to the process started.

VA medical benefits are not an entitlement for everyone that has a DD214.

Keep Calm and RTFU
    I don't have any service related injuries or illnesses. I only considered the VA when I was younger as a possible way to get additional medical assistance that insurance might not pay for. Raising 6 kids any help would be appreciated. Now that I am retired I don't need any assistance because my Medicare Plan takes care of everything.

Thanks to everyone for their support.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I knew a guy who had been in the Navy, then got out and went to college then came back into the Army as an officer. He did his 20+ with honor and nobody can take that from him.
    He then did another 10 with the Federal govt.
    When I knew him, he had his military retirement, government retirement, and he went and got a compensation claim for PTSD and his stressor event was he was sleeping in the barracks when a shot gun discharged in the armory down the hallway
    He was never in danger, but told the shrinks it gave him nightmares. He was smart and knew the lingo to tell the docs so they would approve his claim.
    He was also 150 lbs overweight and got diabetes
    He blamed that on his service and had that added to his compensation
    He would sign up to get every free thing he could
    They let him get a pair of diabetic shoes every year and he would get them them throw them in his closet with the other ones he never wore.
    Be he was entitled to them, so he got them.

By the time he passed away, I bet his military service cost the taxpayers several million dollars.

As a Vet, that kind of crap pisses me off

Hill Billy

USN 1974 -1977
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    I lost 50 percent of my hearing while I was in the navy. I receive money monthly for my loss of hearing. Along with hearing aids. I also get free eye exams, free glasses and, my meds. I get free flu shots as needed. However, I will no longer see a VA nurse or doctor anymore. Thanks to President Trump, I get to see a doctor of my choice. They will also mail my meds directly to me. I'll probably never see a VA Center again. Pretty cool huh?

Hill Billy

USN 1974 -1977
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    Yeah, why do you think the VA is there? I've gotten excellent care through the VA. Eye glasses, hearing aids, meds, etc. I just came back from the Cheyenne Veterans Hospital. They are concerned about a possible tumor in my left jaw.

Hill Billy

USN 1974 -1977
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    Kinda wish that didn’t come out of VA funds.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You just can't comprehend the VA, can you? I'll try to spell it out for you. The Veterans who served are compensated for joining the military regardless of their while on active duty. As such, while some joined the military, others chose not to. The went to college and got degrees, etc. Those who joined the service went on to be a part of the military branches. Meanwhile, many others chose to to go to college. Fair enough. However, while the college kids were having good times in frat houses and partying, those in the military were defending your right to go to college. No Draft, remember? Hopefully, you can see the give and take that some put their lives on the line while others went on to becoming executives, etc.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And my opinion is that I would prefer soldiers and vets with service related injuries, as well as those who are suffering from illnesses and injuries beyond their control, not have to wait even 1 minute longer while the VA is dealing with a self inflicted GSW caused by negligence.

Not sure what that has to do with however I spent my “college years”.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    And my opinion is that I would prefer soldiers and vets with service related injuries, as well as those who are suffering from illnesses and injuries beyond their control, not have to wait even 1 minute longer while the VA is dealing with a self inflicted GSW caused by negligence.

Not sure what that has to do with however I spent my “college years”.

Exactly.

The VA shouldn't cover anything not related to service.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    They have an old folks home on campus. Getting old isn't related to military service. There's non service connected disability.

If you signed the blank check on your life. You qualify for it. And there's not a person earth that's going to take anything away from veterans. Service connected or not. It's a benefit to offering your life in the service of the country.

The best way to avoid the VA is to not serve at all. Problem fixed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Good luck getting treated on the small stuff. Unless you're there before it opens and even then it's hours and hours of waiting to see a crappy doctor. That gives you pills and sends you on your way.

Try Sick Call at the VA. It's one of the better benefits. Lol

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Or, as in my case, to have served and be lucky enough and self sufficient so as to not need the VA, thereby leaving the resources for those in need.

I wish my own life turned out that way. I didn't ask for help for years because of my pride. Then when I hit bottom. I had no other choice but to ask. It's a hard decision, no doubt. It was for me. I was a warrior that had to ask for help. It felt pathetic.

The VA saved my life.

It's there if you need it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom