• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The kids gave me one for Christmas. The idea was for me to be able to make voice calls if I needed help since I live alone. It doesn't work so well for that. It has been relegated to operating a couple of lights and the AM radio. When the grandgirls visit they ask Alexa to tell them the "Dad joke" of the day and make fart sounds.
    Guns International

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    The kids gave me one for Christmas. The idea was for me to be able to make voice calls if I needed help since I live alone. It doesn't work so well for that. It has been relegated to operating a couple of lights and the AM radio. When the grandgirls visit they Alexa to tell them the "Dad joke" of the day and make fart sounds.
    Fart sounds are a big hit when grandson visits. I use it to find out about actors on TV, like when were they born. Use it for weather since I don't watch news on TV. There are a lot of good uses.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Not Alexa but I have a garage door buddy, open and close the garage door from my phone. A separate device is garage door monitor let's you know if your door is open or closed. That's a good thing when going out of town, "did I leave the door open". The monitor works independent of the opener, just need a WiFi connection.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Yep, i would not even think about having any devices like this in my home...it is constantly listening and storing your info somewhere.
    It's insidious. The "assistants" often come with other devices. We bought a Insignia smart TV a few yearrs back. It had Alexa embedded in it. I had to go through menus to disable it all. I still don't trust it.
    ETA: it's a pretty nice TV. I didn't even put in our WiFi netwrok for a long time. Once we got fiber and could actually stream, I did add it. Personally, I think that's risky, even though from the UI I disabled all the "helper" features.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I have 3 device's and live in a "smart house", I can control a lot of stuff from my recliner. Turn lights on and off, turn on TV and Dish, see my front door or the front of my house. Turn on Christmas tree along with accent lights. Turn on a/c or heat, adjust the temperature. People say she is listening and she is but I like my gadget's. My brother says "why, you're retired and have plenty of time, get up".

Youll miss your personal privacy one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I have a dumb house and plan to keep it that way.

Got by all the yes (60 so far) with things I had to turn on and off adj temp on etc.

I am simply not that lazy and definitely not in to the “tech” revolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jeez Sam... cant believe you'd have one of those in your house. Sounds like something a liberal would do.

Office Laugh GIF - Office Laugh Giggle GIFs

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Wife has an android smart phone, I have an apple crap smart phone. We were sitting at dining table late one night with both phones about 6 feet away, and she asked something that didn't sound anything like "OK, Google" which is used to wake her phone. It woke up anyway, called her by name, and gave an answer. When it shut off, my applecrap phone woke up, called me by name, and said that the answer was only partially correct and gave its version, without being asked. If they're turned on, you have little privacy, and probably none with any android device because it's by google and they don't believe you should have privacy anywhere.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    To me automation is partially about convenience, and more about integration. I don't need or want the voice assistant part, I want the automation to be seamless where you forget it's even there. Keep in mind most of these types of automations do not talk outside of my network.

I have a couple rooms in my house where the light switch is inconvenient, or inconveniently located. In my laundry room the switch is next to the door leading into the garage, but inside you enter through the mud room. If you want something out of the 2nd fridge in there (beer!) or you're coming in with a basket of laundry, that switch is not in your path. Likewise if you're leaving with a basket of laundry, you have to walk to that side to hit the switch and then exit in the dark. So the automation there simply turns the light on when you enter that space, and turns it back off a short while after you leave. My master closet has double doors leading in, but the switch is on the outside - behind the open door. Same scenario here, you walk in and the lights come on. You leave, and the lights turn off. My bathroom exhaust fans are setup on automations too. The humidity goes up, the fan comes on. If you forget the fart fan on, after a while it'll shut itself off. My media room has both recessed lighting and wall sconces, both on dimmers. The automation is triggered by the media player status: playing, recessed lights turn off and sconces drop to 10% (enough to find your drink and popcorn, not enough to wash out the projector). Pause, and 5 seconds later the sconces jump to 50% so you can get up and see clearly without your retinas burning. Stop the movie entirely and the sconces raise to 50%, recessed lights go to 35%.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    say what you want I love them. And if you want to listen to me you you will tire of that soon enough.

I dont have to carry a door key <other than a hidden away one in case alexa decides to lock me out of my house>

I don't have to find or program remotes to control the TV. Want the ceiling fan on or lights on ez pezy. Going to bed a few words and everything shuts off.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    When we had a "clapper" years ago to turn the bedroom light on and off she couldn't get the right cadence, never worked for her. Fast forward to "Alexa" easy now for her to say the magic word.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom