Hurley's Gold

This could get interesting. SCOTUS ruling on liqour sales.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    When I was a boot at Benning in the 60's, we would run up to Phenix City, AL, where the clubs would only sell setups and you had to bring your own from the nearby package store.
    Texas SOT

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Was a bartender (beer-tender, more like it) at E & S Gate Lounges in College Station,TX while an A&M student in the mid 60’s.

Served setups for those who either showed up with a hard liquor bottle, or who paid to rent a locker from the bar to store their bottles.

IIRC, there was no other way to get a mixed drink in most of Texas’ bars in those days.

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The WalMart's & Sam's Clubs here in Louisiana have wine, beer, & liquor. On Sundays, too.

leVieux

Yes I know.
    Some years ago Ball&Chain and I were in Louisiana on a holiday. We were in a Kroger store. We were both amazed to see an aisle in Kroger with many dozens of liquor brands right there on the shelf. We LoL’ed.
    Texas has a very strong liquor store owner lobby that will fight like hell to keep a lock on sales.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I was in California a few years ago and noticed liquor on the shelves at Wal-Mart. Available for purchase anytime-any day. A Wal-Mart in Michigan had a limited assortment of spirits behind the counter where the tobacco products were sold.
    I'm old enough to remember when the Texas Blue Laws had almost everything closed on Sunday. Basically only grocery stores were open (and the grocery store could only sell food items, regardless of what other products the grocer sold)

dapakattack,

I can remember when my new bride in TX couldn't lawfully buy a pair of stockings to wear TO CHURCH on Sunday.
    (OK. So I'm OLD.)

yours, satx

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Don't remember the exact start/end dates but do remember the big news early 70s the name "Saloon" became legal again in Texas. It was attributed to a a new place on NW Hwy in Dallas...can't remember the name (Red Dog Saloon maybe)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

When I was a brand-new grad student at Tulane, I was fascinated to see the DRIVE-IN roadside places in LA that sold MIXED-DRINKS out of a side-window, just like DAIRY QUEEN peddled burgers, fries & soft drinks from, back home.

My (then) new bride couldn't pass one of those places, W/O stopping for a White Russian.

When we were stationed at Ft Lee, I also liked the DRIVE-THROUGH beer & wine places on the way to the beach, which had PRETTY, SMILING girls on roller-skates to take your order/money & bring your beer to the car.
    Also, once you crossed the NC line, you could get a "tray" of decent BBQ about 1,000 places.

yours, satx

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To All,

When I was a brand-new grad student at Tulane, I was fascinated to see the DRIVE-IN roadside places in LA that sold MIXED-DRINKS out of a side-window, just like DAIRY QUEEN peddled burgers, fries & soft drinks from, back home.

My (then) new bride couldn't pass one of those places, W/O stopping for a White Russian.

When we were stationed at Ft Lee, I also liked the DRIVE-THROUGH beer & wine places on the way to the beach, which had PRETTY, SMILING girls on roller-skates to take your order/money & bring your beer to the car.
    Also, once you crossed the NC line, you could get a "tray" of decent BBQ about 1,000 places.

yours, satx

I lived in Texas before bars or restaurant bars were "legal". Every nice restaurant was a "private club" a person had to join for a year, usually ~ $5/year, in order to have drinks with meals. But, Oklahoma was WORSE!
    The Army sent me to Fort Sill in 1972. The BARS had no liquor. A person had to go to a government "package store", buy a bottle in a paper bag, take the unopened bottle to the BAR, where "set-up's" could be purchased. The barkeep opened the bottle, mixed the drinks, & put the owner's name on the bag. Once a bottle was opened in a BAR, it could not be taken out again. If a person wanted to have a drink in their hotel room, another bottle was necessary. Once that bottle was opened in room or home, it couldn't be taken out again, either. It was a NUTHOUSE ! leVieux

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    leVieux,
    Exactly what I recall from my Ft. Sill days, of the same era. Craziest thing I ever experienced off post! I mainly thought to myself: welcome to the Bible Belt! I thought it was an “interesting” solution (albeit, cumbersome) to handle complaints from the teetotaler community.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    In PA in the 80's If you wanted a six pack you had to buy it from a bar and could only by two. And if you wanted a case you had had to go to a beer distributor and they closed by 7 on Sat Nights. For Hard Liquor you had to go a state Store.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I lived in Texas before bars or restaurant bars were "legal". Every nice restaurant was a "private club" a person had to join for a year, usually ~ $5/year, in order to have drinks with meals. But, Oklahoma was WORSE!
    The Army sent me to Fort Sill in 1972. The BARS had no liquor. A person had to go to a government "package store", buy a bottle in a paper bag, take the unopened bottle to the BAR, where "set-up's" could be purchased. The barkeep opened the bottle, mixed the drinks, & put the owner's name on the bag. Once a bottle was opened in a BAR, it could not be taken out again. If a person wanted to have a drink in their hotel room, another bottle was necessary. Once that bottle was opened in room or home, it couldn't be taken out again, either. It was a NUTHOUSE ! leVieux

Mais cher, you forgot to mention the 3.2 beer.

<graduate of Comanche County Canon Cockers College>

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    My introduction to “near beer” (3.2 ABV) was in Ohio, when they sold it out of vending machines! (Up by Sandusky, during Camp Perry pistol matches... been awhile ago, now!)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom