• ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Merry Christmas, friends.
    Was perusing Texas Gun Trader and came upon this guy. I have no intention of buying it but don't know enough about the NFA to even be a danger to myself or others. To those who know- is yhere enough info in the ad to determine if the seller is on point or full of beans?
    DK Firearms

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I see. So the lower ultimately determines the NFA-ness. Not the upper in conjunction. I was also wondering about the stock. It doesnt look to be a brace.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It's on a semi-auto lower, so it's not NFA. I cannot speak to its perceived value but it's not worth $5000 to anyone but a collector (who might want the SMG upper).
    Colt DOE 9 mm smg uppers command stupid money. The old school magazine insert needing to be pinned in place was always a drawback to me.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    It has a magpul brace according to the description text. That's what makes it a pistol and not a SBR for the time being.

You can't just assume any gun built on a semi-auto lower is legal and not NFA because by definition ALL SBRs (legal or not) are either semi-auto or single shot. Otherwise it would be classified as an illegal MG and not an illegal rifle.

Billtool had it right, you have to look at the receiver plus barrel length plus stock configuration to determine the status.

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I’m going to guess this receiver started life as a rifle unless Colt made 9mm marked SMG stripped lowers and sold them. If that is the case then no, this is not a pistol because it was once a rifle and cannot be reclassified as a pistol.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Too much to keep track of. DP guilted me into buying a suppressor. I haven’t even asked about the paperwork freaking thing. Form 1…form 4…form Blow Me…I’ll get ‘em all filled out. Just hope I live long enough to see the danged thing.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I’m going to guess this receiver started life as a rifle unless Colt made 9mm marked SMG stripped lowers and sold them. If that is the case then no, this is not a pistol because it was once a rifle and cannot be reclassified as a pistol.

The description says it's a custom manufactured clone lower

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Too much to keep track of. DP guilted me into buying a suppressor. I haven’t even asked about the paperwork freaking thing. Form 1…form 4…form Blow Me…I’ll get ‘em all filled out. Just hope I live long enough to see the danged thing.

Woah, when did I guilt you into it lol.

Apparently my E-file form 4 cannot even be done by me it has to be done by Sendero Shooting Sports and now I wish I had chosen another FFL because those guys are complete jerks LOL

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I saw a Kriss Vector SBR for sale on Texas Gun Trader a couple of years ago. I asked the seller about the NFA transfer and was told it was not required.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands

Apparently my E-file form 4 cannot even be done by me it has to be done by Sendero Shooting Sports and now I wish I had chosen another FFL because those guys are complete jerks LOL
    When I saw you jumped- I figured what the heck. Might as well join the party. Still don’t know why I want one so I’m blaming you.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

I think you, silencershop, and whoever you chose to pick the suppressor up from each have a role in the process.

Was Capital Armory not an option?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I think you, silencershop, and whoever you chose to pick the suppressor up from each have a role in the process.

Was Capital Armory not an option?

They were and its a 50 minute drive and I don't like going into Austin. I chose an FFL in Temple that also has a range so that if its 9 months I could have gone and used it a few times.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    They were and its a 50 minute drive and I don't like going into Austin. I chose an FFL in Temple that also has a range so that if its 9 months I could have gone and used it a few times.

You could always ask the FFL in Temple to transfer it via form 3 to Capitol if they're unwilling to do the eform 4 for you but Capitol would.

It might add a couple weeks to the process but still better than 11 months. Maybe worth asking if they can do that, not sure what SOTs have to do to make items show up in their online records. If it has to be electronic transfers all the way or not.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom