• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    As the US popular culture goes, so goes our allies, and even our enemies. As someone who has lived and traveled overseas I will say do not underestimate our culture and influence on the world.
    Too true. Americans who haven't travelled overseas and interacted with the locals probably don't know how far American culture reaches. I was amused to see Looney Tunes t-shirts and Chicago Bulls baseball caps being worn in the Souk Al-Hamidiyah in Damascus, Syria and Mickey Mouse t-shirts in Wadi Musa, Jordan. The ultimate American icon is Coca-Cola which I had no problem finding in every country I've ever been to and I brought back with me Coke bottles labelled in Arabic, Hebrew, and Spanish.
    Lynx Defense

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm going to swim against the tide here and say, "COOL!".
    I fully agree it's cool.

But it won't name an "undisputed world shooting champion". At best, it will name a person "arguably the best 3-gun shooter in the world".

The U.S. would be the logical place to have a contest that did such a thing. Of course, those guys and gals in the Czech Republic love their guns, too. And boy-o-boy those Finns can shoot. And the Chinese have a farm team system that turns out marksmen like nobody's business. And...uh, where was I?

Oh, yeah, I remember. The U.S. is a logical home. I hope this thing grows until there are clubs and qualifiers in or attended by at least half the countries in the world. When that happens, the big championship in the U.S. might live up to the hype of that video.

Until then, that video is just sad self-delusion.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I still believe the USA to be the greatest country on earth. If we say champ, then by golly, Champ!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It looks like it'll go beyond 3 gun.

Given all the restrictions in other countries, I doubt there are many foreign shooters that can hang with competitive US shooters outside of strict Olympic-style bullseye stuff. Throw in any other discipline and they'll be completely lost in the sauce.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Hmm. I don't see what the big deal is. They can call it the Galactic Championship for all I care. It's a shooting match and will bring people from around the world to compete. And to be honest, I doubt any other country has the amount of shooters that we have shooting for a living. So, even if it was open to the US only, the winner will probably be better than anybody from any other country in this type of competition.

If they held this in any other country and our top shooters went there, I think they'd win.

Again, I dont' see what the big deal is.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...I doubt any other country has the amount of shooters that we have shooting for a living....
    I'll agree that we have more people making decent money. China, however, has a commitment to the ISSF sports that puts them way ahead of anyone else when it comes to numbers of people who make their living by shooting.

"Way ahead", btw, is a massive understatement.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    One thing to understand is that this is not a 3 Gun Match, per se. It does use 3 guns, but it combines all of the shooting disciplines.. there is only 1 traditional 3 gun stage in the match.

The winner of this match will be a great all around shooter, I bet that there isn't one shooter in the world that can win more than 2 full segments.

BTW, this is a Trijicon thing that NRA jumped in on because it seems to be marketing gold. I don't expect there to be a ton of 3 gun shooters there because it conflicts with a major 3 gun match that is put on by the fastest growing 3 gun club in the nation (they have a waiting list for their monthly club matches).

Here are what the stages are:
    Match Segments & Stages:

Pistol Segment: Overall three stage winner (World Pistol Champion Trophy & 5K Cash)

Stage One: NRA Action Pistol Bianchi Cup Mover
    Stage Two: USPSA
    Stage Three: NRA Conventional Pistol Bullseye

Side Match One: IDPA Challenge
    Side Match Two: SASS Bullseye

Rifle Segment: Overall three stage winner (World Rifle Champion Trophy & 5K Cash)

Stage Four: NRA National Defense Match
    Stage Five: F-Class 600 Yards
    Stage Six: NRA Smallbore Standing

Side Match Three: NRA Bianchi Plate Rack
    Side Match Four: AR X Ring Bullseye

Shotgun Segment: Overall three stage winner (World Shotgun Champion Trophy & 5K Cash)

Stage Seven: NSCA Sporting Clays - 5 Stand
    Stage Eight: ATA Trap
    Stage Nine: NRA Law Enforcement Shotgun

Side Match Five: Tactical Shotgun
    Side Match Six: Turkey Shoot

Combined Segment: Overall three stage winner (World Combined Sport Champion Trophy & 5K Cash)

Stage Ten: 3Gun
    Stage Eleven: SASS 3Gun
    Stage Twelve: PNTC Long Range 2Gun

Side Match Seven: Top Of The World Long Range Challenge
    Side Match Eight: Long Range Pistol Challenge

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'll agree that we have more people making decent money. China, however, has a commitment to the ISSF sports that puts them way ahead of anyone else when it comes to numbers of people who make their living by shooting.

"Way ahead", btw, is a massive understatement.

That's great, but ISSF is bullseye shooting. Those dudes would get creamed by club-level shooters in any kind of action or practical type competition. They aren't even allowed to look at the kind of guns they'd need access to to even compete, and it's technically against federal law for someone in the US to teach them the kind of skills they'd need to participate at a competitive level.

Sorry, but someone whose normal idea of "rapid fire" is a shot every two seconds is not going to enjoy meeting someone like Jerry Miculek who can probably clean a plate rack shooting sub-.20sec splits.

Last edited:

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    It is the World Series. Players from around the world play in it. Teams have scouts around the world looking for talent. The teams just happen to be based in the USA and Canada.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Sorry, but someone whose normal idea of "rapid fire" is a shot every two seconds is not going to enjoy meeting someone like Jerry Miculek who can probably clean a plate rack shooting sub-.20sec splits.
    That's an interesting idea. How would you transform the ISSF Rapid Fire Pistol match into strings of shots at a plate rack?

The start would be from low ready, using one hand to hold a .22LR pistol with iron sights. At the signal, the shooter would have to lift the pistol and fire 5 shots at 5 different very-widely-spaced plates. The plate rack would be 25 meters away and the plates would be a bit over 4 inches in diameter. The last shot must reach the target no later than 4 seconds after the start signal was given.

Top-level ISSF shooters would clean the rack often enough to keep it interesting. No one does it every time but at the highest levels, you basically expect at least 4 of the 5 plates to go down in every 4-second string. (There are 6 and 8 second strings, too, but those are gimmes; perfection is expected.)

That's a very rough translation of ISSF Rapid Fire to a format that action and practical shooters can get a better feel for.

Sounds pretty tough to me.

Look, I get your point.

However, the shooting sports are practiced all over the world, in far more countries than most people (in the U.S.) realize. Thus, this contest won't produce an "undisputed world champion"; it will produce a "most-broadly-skilled-shooter-in-the-types-of-shooting-we-like-in-the-U.S. champion". By a long shot, those are not the same thing.

If someone wants to claim to be the best pistol, rifle, or shotgun shooter in the world, I still say "OK, show me your Olympic gold medal".

As for Miculek, I've seen him shoot. He's beyond amazing. Then again, I sat in the first spectator row right behind Ralf Schumann when he won his gold in Atlanta. His wife sat next to me and favored me with a play-by-play during the entire final stage. If I had to compare the two, I'd say that it's not for us mere mortals to comment on the relative skills of gods other than to observe that neither of them could do what the other does.

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    You're looking at it all backwards.

I think it's great. When you arbitrarily set world standards it's easy to be the world's best. By my standards I'm the the undisputed best shooter in the world, and I make damn sure everybody knows. See how that works? You can be the undisputed best shooter in the world, too! We all can! Hooray! Everybody gets a gold star!

It's a good idea, I'm glad I had it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    "If you want to get rich, start your own religion."

-L. Ron Hubbard

Pretty much says it all from a true "SME" on the subject. LOL