• 2c321fe4adeca163074fecdd2fbfe4f7.jpg
      2c321fe4adeca163074fecdd2fbfe4f7.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 538

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Maybe I need one. Not sure what I would put it on, or how that all works. I’d have to get a threaded barrel, also, right?
    Total silencer noob here.
    Can the same silencer fit on different firearms?

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Maybe I need one. Not sure what I would put it on, or how that all works. I’d have to get a threaded barrel, also, right?
    Total silencer noob here.
    It can. It's not always optimum, but you can (as an example), use a silencer designed for a .45ACP on a 9mm pistol, assuming you can adapt the suppressor to the thread pitch of the barrel. Manufacturers make this pretty easy. You can also use a suppressor for a .30cal rifle on a 6.8SPC, 6.5CM, .270, 5.56, etc.

Probably the greatest fun with a suppressor comes from shooting .22LR suppressed. Just silly stupid quiet and really useful for pest eradication on a low-key basis.

I think I'm up over fifteen suppressors now . . . or at least I would be but for that lousy marine accident . . .

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    It can. It's not always optimum, but you can (as an example), use a silencer designed for a .45ACP on a 9mm pistol, assuming you can adapt the suppressor to the thread pitch of the barrel. Manufacturers make this pretty easy. You can also use a suppressor for a .30cal rifle on a 6.8SPC, 6.5CM, .270, 5.56, etc.

Probably the greatest fun with a suppressor comes from shooting .22LR suppressed. Just silly stupid quiet and really useful for pest eradication on a low-key basis.

I think I'm up over fifteen suppressors now . . . or at least I would be but for that lousy marine accident . . .
    So. You kind of buy a suppressor for a specific caliber of firearm,
    not for a specific make/ model of a particular firearm, right?

So I could buy a 9 mm suppressor, and that could theoretically fit all my 9mm firearms, just provided I obtain a threaded barrel for that firearm I want to attach it to? Do I seem to have it understood correctly? (I need a suppressor 101 class.)

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

So I could buy a 9 mm suppressor, and that could theoretically fit all my 9mm firearms, just provided I obtain a threaded barrel for that firearm I want to attach it to? Do I seem to have it understood correctly? (I need a suppressor 101 class.)

Yes, this is correct.
    I have a .45 suppressor that I put on 9mm, .40, & .45.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

Yeah and to echo what Cam said above, as long as the bullet will fit thru the can, you can use one suppressor for many calibers.

For example, the one I have in jail right now can handle a 308 and anything smaller. So my 6.5CM and 223/556 are able to use the same can.

45ACP is a big gullet, so a 9mm can be shot thru the same can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yeah and to echo what Cam said above, as long as the bullet will fit thru the can, you can use one suppressor for many calibers.

For example, the one I have in jail right now can handle a 308 and anything smaller. So my 6.5CM and 223/556 are able to use the same can.

45ACP is a big gullet, so a 9mm can be shot thru the same can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, don't try it the other way around....

:green:

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    So. You kind of buy a suppressor for a specific caliber of firearm, not for a specific make/ model of a particular firearm, right?

Probably. It's not a yes/no answer. It's a bit more complicated.

There's mounting issues and things like that, but that's a bit down the road. Some cans can handle a specific caliber, but they can't mount correctly to them. (We're in don't worry about it for now territory.)

Caliber specific, no. Meaning a 300 Blackout and a .30 Nosler are the same caliber, but completely different cartridges. You've got function of the suppressor, caliber clearance, and pressure that all matter. Because a 5.56 is 22 caliber, it doesn't mean you can run it in a 22 can. On the flip side, you can't run 22 in a 5.56 can.

Generally, with the odd ones excluded you're looking at 3 cans. (Yes, I know 50AE is a thing, and I know that .338 is bigger than 7.62, and 45-70 isn't the same as 45 ACP). Rimfire (22LR, 22 SHORT, 22 WHM, 17, etc), then a 45 can (9, 40, 45, common pistol stuff), and a 7.62 (usually 5.56 to 300 WIN).

You buy a suppressor generally for a category of guns, rather than a specific gun or specific caliber / cartridge.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have a Knights Armament Company MP5 suppressor that is full auto rated. It truly is a great suppressor, but I cannot use it on my semi auto Sig226 or Glock19 because it lacks a Nielson Device aka recoil booster.

Another thing you might want to consider before buying a suppressor for an existing gun besides a threaded barrel are the sights. Most standard sights are not tall enough to see over a suppressor. A gun with a rail is another option to mount a laser.

Worse thing about suppressor ownership is when you are shooting with someone who does not own one. Plenty of times since I have been spoiled to ear safe guns someone shows up & rings my ears. Another bad thing about them is you might want to shoot inside the house, because you can.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom