• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's also a way of providing discipline, CZ - something all too lacking today - both in children AND adults. There's nothing wrong with having rules - without them, chaos reigns....

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    i went through that and so did most of my friends we were always the skater punks with no life goals and now im almost positive most of us make more then the teachers lol
    hair has nothing to do with being a productive member of society its a type of profiling

Would you have been open to attending and X Game Charter School instead of the high school you went to?

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    In my opinion rules are fine as long as everyone has to follow them. In this case if everyone in the school had to have hair shorter than their collar, I think that would be fair. Girls included. Otherwise I see it as sexual discrimination.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    "Sexual discrimination"?!?? Gimme a freakin' break! Girls are girls, boys are boys - there SHOULD be a difference! Do you think that girls should open their own doors, and that they shouldn't be allowed to enter a building first?

That kind of 'tude, IMO, goes back the the whole root of the problem - a lack of respect for each other.

sv6er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    A public school shouldn't be culturally engineering the students. Period. It's their job to educate them, not to enforce their view of a good haircut.

What if the school said that the kids could wear any shirt they want, and then suspended a child because he wore a nice polo shirt with a Smith and Wesson logo on it, because guns are dangerous and S&W makes guns. Would y'all feel different?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    ....and folks wonder why the schools are in such disarray. Look - your kid goes to the school *I* pay taxes for. You want them to "do their own thing" then fine - YOU pay for it. If they're going to a school *I* am going to help fund, then they ARE going to obey rules, whether you "approve" of them or not. SOMEONE has to run the madhouse BESIDES the inmates.

What if the school said that the kids could wear any shirt they want, and then suspended a child because he wore a nice polo shirt with a anti-Christian logo on it, because anti-Christian sentiments offend folks. Would y'all feel different?

I can come up with all the scenarios you want - or we can recognize that schools are places to LEARN, not for kids to "express themselves".

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    A public school shouldn't be culturally engineering the students. Period. It's their job to educate them, not to enforce their view of a good haircut.

What if the school said that the kids could wear any shirt they want, and then suspended a child because he wore a nice polo shirt with a Smith and Wesson logo on it, because guns are dangerous and S&W makes guns. Would y'all feel different?

Waiting for the profanity laced response to whatever anyone says ...

sv6er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    ....and folks wonder why the schools are in such disarray. Look - your kid goes to the school *I* pay taxes for. You want them to "do their own thing" then fine - YOU pay for it. If they're going to a school *I* am going to help fund, then they ARE going to obey rules, whether you "approve" of them or not. SOMEONE has to run the madhouse BESIDES the inmates.

I'm not necessarily supporting their decision to break the school's rules as much as I am condemning the rule itself.

What if the school said that the kids could wear any shirt they want, and then suspended a child because he wore a nice polo shirt with a anti-Christian logo on it, because anti-Christian sentiments offend folks. Would y'all feel different?

This is a different scenario. I was talking about a student doing something that offended the administration (having long hair) and you're talking about the student offending another student. Those are two different things entirely.

I can come up with all the scenarios you want - or we can recognize that schools are places to LEARN, not for kids to "express themselves".

What do you think has caused more commotion and distraction from learning. Long hair, or the administration and media's response to long hair?

When it all comes down to it, long hair has nothing to do with learning, so there shouldn't be a rule about it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, long hair offended me while I was in school - so by your standards, that would make it verbotten, right? The media pays attention to the issue because the parents complain when the plainly-stated rules are broken and action is taken.

When it comes right down to it, cursing has nothing to do with learning - so should there be no rules about it, either? Rules are rules - we may not like all of 'em, or understand 'em - but the bottom line is that we're all constrained by rules - whether by employers, spouses, or society. The earlier kids learn that rules are in place to help maintain societal norms, the better off we'll ALL be. As I said earlier, the option is chaos....

sv6er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Well, long hair offended me while I was in school - so by your standards, that would make it verbotten, right? The media pays attention to the issue because the parents complain when the plainly-stated rules are broken and action is taken.

I never said that one student being offended by another was a problem. Harassment, abuse, displays of hateful discrimination can cause problems, but one student simply unliking or being offended by another student isn't a problem in my eyes.

When it comes right down to it, cursing has nothing to do with learning - so should there be no rules about it, either?

Well you have to ask yourself, can cussing disrupt learning? I guess it depends on the situation. Two kids cussing while talking amongst themselves during their lunch break, to me, isn't something that warrants disciplinary measures. A kid cussing out the teacher in class, on the other hand, is more problematic and should be dealt with.

But, it's an interesting point.

Rules are rules - we may not like all of 'em, or understand 'em - but the bottom line is that we're all constrained by rules - whether by employers, spouses, or society. The earlier kids learn that rules are in place to help maintain societal norms, the better off we'll ALL be. As I said earlier, the option is chaos....

Again, I'm not cheering the kid on for breaking rules, I just think a rule on haircuts is inappropriate. This is a public school run by the government. The government shouldn't be in the business of enforcing fads and fashions.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    So, what's the magic number at which others being offended will make it "wrong"? 10% 20%? Why not simply have rules applied that are simple and easy to understand?

Why is a rule on haircut inappropriate? Because you don't like it, or don't see a need for it? Just who does it hurt to have a rule that is evenly applied?

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    Would you have been open to attending and X Game Charter School instead of the high school you went to?
    not at all if i got my job based on the stuff i learned in school not on my skating, infact i havent even really skated since highschool. i still have the longer than normal hair and it has yet to cost me a job.

sv6er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    So, what's the magic number at which others being offended will make it "wrong"? 10% 20%? Why not simply have rules applied that are simple and easy to understand?

Like I said, the simple fact that one student is offended doesn't mean the offending student is wrong in any way. If a kid wears a Texas Gun Talk shirt, and every single kid in that school is offended, I really don't care. The kid has done nothing wrong and there shouldn't be a rule stopping him from wearing a shirt because it has Texas Gun Talk written on it.

This is obviously different if a student is "offended" because he's been harassed or something.

Why is a rule on haircut inappropriate? Because you don't like it, or don't see a need for it? Just who does it hurt to have a rule that is evenly applied?

This is America. The burden of proof shouldn't be on us to show that a rule is harmful, the burden of proof should be on the government to show that a rule is necessary.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    not at all if i got my job based on the stuff i learned in school not on my skating, infact i havent even really skated since highschool.

When I went to school, they had just started magnet schools. I think there was medical, le, aero, theater (hspva?), and a few more. Of courser there had always been religious, college prep, military, etc. schools.

Whatever keeps kids interested.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    When I went to school, they had just started magnet schools. I think there was medical, le, aero, theater (hspva?), and a few more. Of courser there had always been religious, college prep, military, etc. schools.

Whatever keeps kids interested.

btw - What is a magnet school? Do they teach you how to make magnets? Why do they call it that?

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I don't know why they (used to?) called them magnet schools.

That's okay. Ever since I first heard of them, I wondered what's the difference between them and the schools I went to. I guess I didn't wonder enough to find out though. LOL

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

What do you mean? Modern public schools were designed for cultural engineering.
    [url]http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/7c.htm[/URL]

Read the whole book online, it's fascinating: [url]http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm[/URL]

Top Bottom