• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I don't know why they (used to?) called them magnet schools.

I was under the impression that a Magnet school was smaller, specialized school usually within another larger HS. This school 'attracted' kids from the whole area, not just the larger school's normal area.

I really didn't hear about them, much in high school. Now that I'm in medical school, many of my class mates attended such schools, and many such schools visit the school every year. Not really a bad thing IMHO, but they usually don't have football or wrestling.

(sorry if you were just joking)

As to the school regulating what their students wear, come on. This is the real world. People descriminate you based upon what you wear.
    That is life. Deal with it. I see no problem school applying the rules uniformly to all students. I think it is a terrible thing that parents would tolerate, much less encourage, little johnny to flaunt the rules. Even worse that they would publicly go after the school, "cause he wants to have long hair." I'm not a parent (yet), but I'm going to say that spoiling your brat is bad parenting.

Quite frankly, I love the idea of uniforms (now that I'm out of school, of course). I think it is cheaper (especially compared to all that crap that most kids want) and simpler for most parents, and the school looks better.

Boys and girls are not the same, and we shouldn't act like that is true. It is ok to have boys sports and girls sports.

It isn't social engineering if they are simply re-inforcing the social laws that are already in place.
    DK Firearms

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Quite frankly, I love the idea of uniforms (now that I'm out of school, of course). I think it is cheaper (especially compared to all that crap that most kids want) and simpler for most parents, and the school looks better.

When that first came up in HISD, I was for it, and for the same reasons. I've changed my mind.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Maybe I missed it but did anyone mention that the rules are made by the SCHOOL BOARDS, not the teachers or the campus administrators or even the central office administrators. Parents that dislike the rules should address the school board or even run for the school board and participate in making, and approving the rules. The board is supposed to be made up of citizens representing the people living in the district. After having spent 29 years in Texas public education, big cities and small, I've witnessed many stupid rules, a few stupid teachers and administrators (fortunately) and stupid parents. Just my $.02.

Top Bottom