• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I simply don't feel like starting a bunch of different threads today - which I know will break some folks heart and threaten them with unemployment! But....

Coiled pistol bore brush not sure what it's made - of stainless I suppose? Doesn't seem like it'd work well in on a rifled barrel but I bought one anyway. Any input on this fine piece of engineered gun cleaner?

Stumbled in to Cabela's looking to see what kind of guns they have. Looking for another 22LR and would snap up a Beretta M9-22 if I could locate factory mags for it. Didn't see anything I was interested in but did round up 5 - 150ct boxes of Winchester 5.56 M193 ammo. Wasn't cheap $0.50 cpr before tax, $0.54 cpr after tax. $405.00 out the door for 750 rds. It wasn't cheap but it was available. I'm assuming the M193 is not as good a round as the M855. The M193 is 55gr where the M855 is 62gr. Guess I'll get to see the difference IF MY LARUE ORDER WILL EVER GET HERE!!! I mean hell I ordered it yesterday!

Cabela's in League City is no longer requiring mask. The signs are still up and probably 50-60% of the folks I saw were wearing them but a lotta folks weren't.

Home Depot in Webster isn't requiring mask. Mask police at the door ask me "Do you want a mask?" Said: "Nope, I'm good and kept walking."

Lowe's in Webster is not requiring a mask. However when I went to check out I swear the li'l check-out gal threw up the sign of the cross to ward off vampires. Tried to tell her quantity of items I had... [Threw up the sign] and said in a rather loud voice "I GOT IT! You don't have a mask on!" LOL... damn if she wasn't right on both counts.

Chili's restaurant didn't utter a peep when I walked in and requested booth w/o mask on.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I'm assuming the M193 is not as good a round as the M855.

When you have 2 or 3 hours to spare, google M193 vs M855 and dive in. Everyone has an opinion on that one it seems.

Guess I'll get to see the difference IF MY LARUE ORDER WILL EVER GET HERE!!! I mean hell I ordered it yesterday!

Be prepared to wait....a while. :)

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    When you have 2 or 3 hours to spare, google M193 vs M855 and dive in. Everyone has an opinion on that one it seems.

Be prepared to wait....a while. :)
    Mmmm... maybe I hit the best article first. This gal gave the pros n' cons of each the finished up by saying neither is a good PD round. For best results match to the barrel and application/environment/intended purpose.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Mmmm... maybe I hit the best article first. This gal gave the pros n' cons of each the finished up by saying neither is a good PD round. For best results match to the barrel and application/environment/intended purpose.

That’s a start but there’s a lot of informed opinions out there backed by real world experience too. M4Carbine forums has a bunch.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    On their web site they said they had the parts to build 800 - "Get'em while they're hot!" But they didn't say how many of those they've sold.

From following threads on Arfcom (AR15.com), seems the delay for their ultimate upper kits have been months. I can’t imagine complete rifles are any quicker.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    From following threads on Arfcom (AR15.com), seems the delay for their ultimate upper kits have been months. I can’t imagine complete rifles are any quicker.
    yeah... A clear case of it is what it is. Gives me time to get stocked up on ammo.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Coiled brushes are pretty good for shotgun cleaning or revolver cylinders. Not so much on rifling, unless you've really got a lot of crud.

As for the 5.56 discussion, the military decided it didn't really like either round. 55 gr was standard in Vietnam (replacing the really bad 45 gr bullet). They tried to improve it by giving it more penetration ability, but like most compromises, it wasn't a huge improvement. There are good reasons to consider the 6.8 SPC as a better round. Ultimately, if your rifle does a good job with the M193 or M855, then shoot it and be happy.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Coiled brushes are pretty good for shotgun cleaning or revolver cylinders. Not so much on rifling, unless you've really got a lot of crud.

As for the 5.56 discussion, the military decided it didn't really like either round. 55 gr was standard in Vietnam (replacing the really bad 45 gr bullet). They tried to improve it by giving it more penetration ability, but like most compromises, it wasn't a huge improvement. There are good reasons to consider the 6.8 SPC as a better round. Ultimately, if your rifle does a good job with the M193 or M855, then shoot it and be happy.
    Stainless brushes not so good on barrels.
    Thanks for the heads up on the coiled brush. Kinna what I figured after running one a short way in the barrel.

Soooo... the 6.8 SPC fits the 5.53 chamber or does it require another barrel? Just a quick search reveals why it would probably be the better close combat round. Problem is I haven't seen any in the stores. If it'll fit the bore I'll certainly give it a try.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    So.... would this be considered a new build requiring a new upper/lower or will anything I've got coming from LaRue work? A search @ LaRue for anything 6.8 turned up nothing.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Been a few years since I've dealt with Larue, but give them a call and ask them. I don't think there is anything proprietary with their barrels, so you could buy a barrel (ARP White Oak, Wilson) and replace the 5.56. An easier option would be buy their upper and handguard and install your own barrel (all this if you wanted to use the same lower). If it were me, I'd get a separate rifle dedicated to 6.8spc if you really want to shoot the caliber. Ammo is hard to find right now for them, but if you do decide to get one, let me know I have a good supply.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    To go from what you ordered to a 6.8 spc you would need a different bolt, magazine and barrel.
    That would leave you with 5.56 parts to start another upper build.
    But the 6.8 spc bolt and magazine would also work with a .224 Valkyrie upper as well.
    3 uppers that could all go on the same lower. I don't see a problem.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So.... would this be considered a new build requiring a new upper/lower or will anything I've got coming from LaRue work? A search @ LaRue for anything 6.8 turned up nothing.

The other guys have answered the technical questions, so I’m going to send you down a rabbit hole of various calibers you might consider for your next upper to swap out onto your lower.

6.5 Grendel for something similar to 6.8SPC but more widely available
    .300BO for a little more stopping power and subsonic options
    .22Nosler, a 6.8SPC necked down with a rebated .223 rim
    .25-45 Sharps, a necked up .223. Good luck finding it.
    300Ham’r, a .30-30 in Wilson Combat dollars
    .350 legend for straight wall goodness and fudd states
    .450 Bushmaster. The 350’s big brother
    .458 SOCOM, a 45-70 semi-auto for when you want to kill 10 of any living things on earth with one shot each.

Top Bottom