• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    So.... would this be considered a new build requiring a new upper/lower or will anything I've got coming from LaRue work? A search @ LaRue for anything 6.8 turned up nothing.

That's the beauty about the AR-15. You can just build another upper! Slap a barrel on an upper receiver, outfit to your liking with bolt, charging handle, optics and swap out uppers on your lower. Of course you'll probably end up wanting another complete rifle so you'll build another lower to go with it. Damn things are like Lego.

Admittedly, I think I enjoy specing out and building the rifle more than I actually like shooting them and I don't mind shooting them.

.458 SOCOM is sooo cool too. But you pretty much have to reload it.
    DK Firearms

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    The other guys have answered the technical questions, so I’m going to send you down a rabbit hole of various calibers you might consider for your next upper to swap out onto your lower.

6.5 Grendel for something similar to 6.8SPC but more widely available
    .300BO for a little more stopping power and subsonic options
    .22Nosler, a 6.8SPC necked down with a rebated .223 rim
    .25-45 Sharps, a necked up .223. Good luck finding it.
    300Ham’r, a .30-30 in Wilson Combat dollars
    .350 legend for straight wall goodness and fudd states
    .450 Bushmaster. The 350’s big brother
    .458 SOCOM, a 45-70 semi-auto for when you want to kill 10 of any living things on earth with one shot each.
    Let's not forget the 204 Ruger for some varmint fun :)

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    All this talk about AR building. I'm gonna be sad when Double Barrel Joe and Kommissar Harris start trying to kill the AR market. It's been fun to watch it evolve and then go bananas in the last few years.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    All this talk about AR building. I'm gonna be sad when Double Barrel Joe and Kommissar Harris start trying to kill the AR market. It's been fun to watch it evolve and then go bananas in the last few years.
    Good thing all mine were either sold or sank in that horrible boat accident...we did get a boat load of albacore though.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Let's not forget the 204 Ruger for some varmint fun :)

Dang, I need another upper now. Give my Savage bolt actions some competition.

Of course, it’s just another excuse to build another upper.

.458 SOCOM is a lot of fun. Nothing like sending 405gr of lead down range and putting the thump on a hog. It is not that expensive to reload...found a local source for the 405 gr semijacketed RNFP so it is only .40 a round. Some H110 and a large pistol primer and there you go.

May have to investigate the 350 Legend for fun.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The m855 will defeat soft armor and punches nice clean holes in mild steel. Years ago I bought some military "seconds" that have shot a 1/2" group in a white oak spr upper. They were Winchester branded. I'm not sure how the newest generation stacks up but I do have a 20rd box to try out after hunting season. I have also had great luck with pmc xtac m855. A couple of rifles shoot it right at 1 moa w/occasional 3/4" groups. All 5 shot.

As far as m193, I have always seen better accuracy from commercial 223 like wolf gold. I have a case of PPU that I've been hoarding but when I did shoot some loose boxes I had they were 1.5 - 2 moa. The wolf gold is closer to 1.25-1.5 moa for me.

The best reasonably priced factory loading I've shot is the Swiss mfg Winchester 62gr otm. Gawd I wish I had bought cases of it ! A true 1 moa factory load.

Anyhow, think you did ok on that ammo. Not better anywhere else if you can even find it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ... m855 ...193...
    Were designed for specific target types in specific barrel lengths and twists. There is noting inherently wrong with either cartridge, but neither is especially efficient for what most people use them for.

XM855 is fairly to extremely accurate in a 14.5/1:8 barrel out to 300m, if not farther.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    The m855 will defeat soft armor and punches nice clean holes in mild steel. Years ago I bought some military "seconds" that have shot a 1/2" group in a white oak spr upper. They were Winchester branded. I'm not sure how the newest generation stacks up but I do have a 20rd box to try out after hunting season. I have also had great luck with pmc xtac m855. A couple of rifles shoot it right at 1 moa w/occasional 3/4" groups. All 5 shot.

As far as m193, I have always seen better accuracy from commercial 223 like wolf gold. I have a case of PPU that I've been hoarding but when I did shoot some loose boxes I had they were 1.5 - 2 moa. The wolf gold is closer to 1.25-1.5 moa for me.

The best reasonably priced factory loading I've shot is the Swiss mfg Winchester 62gr otm. Gawd I wish I had bought cases of it ! A true 1 moa factory load.

Anyhow, think you did ok on that ammo. Not better anywhere else if you can even find it.

Yup... Didn't take much reading on the internet to figure out the M855 is, generally speaking, the more accurate of the two rounds. I might have to look into the .223 ammo and see what SD rounds are available.

Were designed for specific target types in specific barrel lengths and twists. There is noting inherently wrong with either cartridge, but neither is especially efficient for what most people use them for.

XM855 is fairly to extremely accurate in a 14.5/1:8 barrel out to 300m, if not farther.
    Precisely the conclusion I came up with. Neither round is especially efficient for self/personal defense. But... It seems that between the two the M193 "should" be the best PD round. That conclusion is based on logic, flawed or not, that the M193 round would be less prone to penetrate and keep traveling that the steel tipped M855 round. I've researched both these round very little but from what I have read there seems to be a general consensus that with either round fragmentation is what causes the most damage. Also, seemingly, a general consensus is that the projectile yaw contributes to the fragmentation but is inconsistent.

The only thing I'll add to the debate is it sho' seems whatever round Rittenhouse was using the damage was rather impressive and effective.

The other guys have answered the technical questions, so I’m going to send you down a rabbit hole of various calibers you might consider for your next upper to swap out onto your lower.

6.5 Grendel for something similar to 6.8SPC but more widely available
    .300BO for a little more stopping power and subsonic options
    .22Nosler, a 6.8SPC necked down with a rebated .223 rim
    .25-45 Sharps, a necked up .223. Good luck finding it.
    300Ham’r, a .30-30 in Wilson Combat dollars
    .350 legend for straight wall goodness and fudd states
    .450 Bushmaster. The 350’s big brother
    .458 SOCOM, a 45-70 semi-auto for when you want to kill 10 of any living things on earth with one shot each.

May cockle burrs find their way between each of your toes!!!!:spank:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    One thing I'll mention about M855 is you may be restricted where you can use it. For example we have steel plates at my club and we can't use it on those for obvious reasons. We can on paper though.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    One thing I'll mention about M855 is you may be restricted where you can use it. For example we have steel plates at my club and we can't use it on those for obvious reasons. We can on paper though.
    Interesting.... I hadn't really thought about range use. Guess I'll have to call my indoor range, Marksman, and see what they will permit. Meant to ask'em when I was there yesterday but fer'got! Thanks for the heads up!

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I can attest to the M855 and shooting steel don't go well together. I was shooting at a friends range years ago and he had a 3/4" steel plate set at 100yds. I let a few rip and one actually ricochet back and whizzed around the bed of my truck (where my friend was sitting). That ended the steel plate shooting. Upon inspecting the plate, the bullets almost pierced through it.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The 5.56 is a decent all around round. Im more in favor of the 68-69gr bullet variety, but have plenty of 55 & 62gr on hand.

As far as other calibers for an AR platform im a fan of the 6.5 grendel. It just has so much advantage with it over 5.56. From ringing steel at 1500 yards to taking an elk at 300 yards, the 6.5 grendel is my favorite AR round. Now if i want more out of an AR for knock down power id go with a 350 legend, if thats not enough & i need to shoot a Trex id go with 458 socom or a 50 beaowolf

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    This stuff is great (if you can find any):

(5.56 mk318-mod0-sost)

Also, still keeping an eye open for any 458S DU projectiles in-stock...lol ;)

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yup... Didn't take much reading on the internet to figure out the M855 is, generally speaking, the more accurate of the two rounds. I might have to look into the .223 ammo and see what SD rounds are available.

Precisely the conclusion I came up with. Neither round is especially efficient for self/personal defense. But... It seems that between the two the M193 "should" be the best PD round. That conclusion is based on logic, flawed or not, that the M193 round would be less prone to penetrate and keep traveling that the steel tipped M855 round. I've researched both these round very little but from what I have read there seems to be a general consensus that with either round fragmentation is what causes the most damage. Also, seemingly, a general consensus is that the projectile yaw contributes to the fragmentation but is inconsistent.

The only thing I'll add to the debate is it sho' seems whatever round Rittenhouse was using the damage was rather impressive and effective.

May cockle burrs find their way between each of your toes!!!!:spank:
    .223/5.56 rounds tend to tumble after hitting the first barrier, which is why they can do as much damage inside the body.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I’m waiting to see if the rest of my parts come in so I can complete my carbine build. I’ll race you. :)
    Mmmmmm.... you jest might win this race. Just got off'a the phone with LaRue. Stripped lower will be here no later than next week. Complete upper..... 6 months! <sigh...>

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Coiled pistol bore brush not sure what it's made - of stainless I suppose? Doesn't seem like it'd work well in on a rifled barrel but I bought one anyway. Any input on this fine piece of engineered gun cleaner?
    I am guessing you are referring to what I know as tornado brushes. I love em. They do a fine job of really cleaning out a frosted/rusted bore (as I sometimes find on old clunkers I have bought), do great at helping to get out copper fouling, and just are fine when it comes to cleaning very fouled bores. I do not use them often but rather just when needed for jobs like the ones I just mentioned. Evidently, they have not harmed any of my rifle or pistol barrels yet, some even shoot better than they did before using a tornado brush to get out the crud. I think if used sparingly, for tough jobs, they are an excellent tool in the kit.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Yup, that's what I'm talking about. The one for the 9mm is very tightly wound(for lack of a better term). Because every pistol I've got was new no more than 3-4 months ago and I'm very, very, slightly ocd about cleaning them I doubt anything I currently own need a vigorous cleaning.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I am guessing you are referring to what I know as tornado brushes. I love em. They do a fine job of really cleaning out a frosted/rusted bore (as I sometimes find on old clunkers I have bought), do great at helping to get out copper fouling, and just are fine when it comes to cleaning very fouled bores. I do not use them often but rather just when needed for jobs like the ones I just mentioned. Evidently, they have not harmed any of my rifle or pistol barrels yet, some even shoot better than they did before using a tornado brush to get out the crud. I think if used sparingly, for tough jobs, they are an excellent tool in the kit.
    Yup, that's what I'm talking about. The one for the 9mm is very tightly wound(for lack of a better term). Because every pistol I've got was new no more than 3-4 months ago and I'm very, very, slightly ocd about cleaning them I doubt anything I currently own need a vigorous cleaning.

I use them for cleaning shotgun bores. The work pretty good at getting the minute fragments of plastic from the bore gone and I have had good luck using them.

Top Bottom