• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    The pointy-bits on the butt-plate in .45-70 going to reduce number of shots taken per range trip?
    Doesn't look comfortable, but does it contour well?
    I believe the shape of the butt was taken into consideration when John Browning designed the 1886. Designed to handle the larger and more powerful hunting rounds for big game. It was the next step in evolution for a lever action big bore rifle. Compared to earlier models the shape of the butt fits well into your shoulder and handles nicely for a 10 pound gun. The original length (26 inch) barrel is well balanced. That John Browning was truly a genius!
    Capitol Armory ad

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Very nice rifle there John.
    With all the dumb laws being pushed in Ill. was the reason I left there in 92 along with
    both the wife and I being layed off we decided Texas here we come.
    After getting out of the Navy getting some parchment, I had a great job making a lot of money and bought guns! Not having children nor family but my wife I invested and did okay. Guns and US history consumed our life. So here I sit behind enemy lines.... LOL.
    I could fill pages of pictures to share the mess I have made here.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just pushing until he find the ban hammer!
    So he asked a legitimate question and you turned it into a shit show.

Why must members like you drag your petty bullshit into every thread? You got a beef with him in another thread? Keep it there.

I too hope the ban hammer falls but not in the direction you are wanting.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I believe the shape of the butt was taken into consideration when John Browning designed the 1886. Designed to handle the larger and more powerful hunting rounds for big game. It was the next step in evolution for a lever action big bore rifle. Compared to earlier models the shape of the butt fits well into your shoulder and handles nicely for a 10 pound gun. The original length (26 inch) barrel is well balanced. That John Browning was truly a genius!
    I have shouldered similar rifles and while Browning's genius isn't questioned the design of that buttstock is.

We don't all have the same size shoulders. I find them to be very pokey.

But that is a fine rifle you have there.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I have shouldered similar rifles and while Browning's genius isn't questioned the design of that buttstock is.

We don't all have the same size shoulders. I find them to be very pokey.

But that is a fine rifle you have there.
    All "buts" aside.
    I do believe that Kotex sanitary napkins had an alternate use designed for shoulder pads.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Before owning my first lever action I couldn't imagine that I'd ever want one. There are 4 in the safe now.
    2019, I had very little interest in a lever gun. I bought 3 in 2020, and if I’m searching for something on GunBroker these days, it’s usually lever guns.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    2019, I had very little interest in a lever gun. I bought 3 in 2020, and if I’m searching for something on GunBroker these days, it’s usually lever guns.
    If you are searching for a vintage rifle be very careful on Gun Broker. DO your HOMEWORK first! KNOW EVERY detail about what you are looking at and what you are looking for.
    KNOW the dealer, get guarantees and return policy. ASK questions.
    Many 86's and 76's were altered over the years, refinished, renumbered, and badly restored.
    John

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    If you are searching for a vintage rifle be very careful on Gun Broker. DO your HOMEWORK first! KNOW EVERY detail about what you are looking at and what you are looking for.
    KNOW the dealer, get guarantees and return policy. ASK questions.
    Many 86's and 76's were altered over the years, refinished, renumbered, and badly restored.
    John
    Most assuredly! I’ve bought several of my older guns from one individual on GunBroker. He specializes in older guns and has always been great to deal with. All of his auctions are penny/no reserve, with lots of photos.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom