• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I’ll admit Houston was good to me! Way better then the state of Illinois, but when you come from a shithole anything’s better. Thinking I needed to stay as long as I did was stupid.

Thinking you can’t earn money out in small towns in Texas, was a big mistake on my behalf. Thinking you don’t want to leave friends or family is another stupid concept.

Once gain I’m sitting here on my screened in back porch smelling the smoker and enjoying peace & quiet. Watching Cardinals chasing around, Bluejays fighting with Mockingbird. Seeing all the other critters ain’t bad.

The most urban sounds like lawn mowers, leaf blowers and weed whackers are somewhat muffled. Hearing boats out on the water or peeps cruising around in their various ATV’s beats blaring bass and the drone of traffic!

If I would have lived here when I was young I might of had kids.
    Lynx Defense

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Born and raised in Dallas and 32 years with AT&T before retiring at age 54, almost 18 years ago. Life had just turned upside down (yeah a woman involved with 30 years) and although stunned, I keep looking back wishing I'd gotten out of Dodge and headed to God's country in east Texas, pipe dream about an RV on shores of a small lake with tall pines and coyotes yelling at night while I ran my trotlines. But nooo, I had to join the VFW and play Bingo and met my future wife, got married in Vegas so still stuck in big city with leaf blowers every morning in the 'hood. God knew what he was doing in keeping me here though, she and He saved my life. So now have friends from Lake Athens to Lake Tawakoni to a private lake in deep east Texas to escape to and fish and hear the coyotes. Sometimes things work out just fine but I still curse the leaf blowers at 10 am .

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    Been in Houston since the late 80s. Got about 5 more years to retirement. Probably gonna settle where ever the kids are when the time comes. Grew up in a small farming community in South Texas. Can’t really say I’ve been unhappy with big city life.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Way to long of a story. I met 4 idiot Pearland cops one morning on the way to work. It was after a big storm and power had been out for days.

They treated me like a prowler/looter. All four of them all bowed up, hands on their guns lighting me with their flashlight. I basically let them know there actions might prevent a grocery store from opening soon. I also told them I hoped their families went without because of their actions!

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I lived in Dallas for 23 years. In 1991 I decided that I just couldn’t take the traffic anymore. It was a daily battle everyday, so we moved to East Texas and have been here for 30 years. The absolute best decision I ever made.

I can live a very happy life if I never see that city again, and that goes double for Houston. Just my few visits there were enough to keep me from going back. Wow, and I thought Dallas traffic was bad.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A friend of mine and I had dreams of moving to the country, and also having some land to take our sons hunting on. I grew up out in the country, so that's my natural home and not the 'burbs of Houston. Somehow, life doesn't always work out like you want. Divorces, diseases, and working for companies more toxic than snake venom took it's toll. I'm afraid that I'm stuck here for the duration. Still better off than my friend who now has Parkinson's and is not doing well at all.

Advice for the younger guys:
    1. As soon as you get a job, start looking for another. Companies these days have absolutely no loyalty to their employees and the only one looking out for you is you. Never believe your boss's promises. If it ain't in writing, it doesn't exist.
    2. I don't care how good the job is, or how much you need it, there isn't enough gold in Ft. Knox to make it worthwhile to live north of the Red River.
    3. Never get divorced. Trust me, it will cost you enough that you may spend a decade working to make it back. An attorney - coming off of a divorce - gave me that advice years ago. Did I learn? Hell no. I had to find out for myself. He was right.
    4. Never get married. Whoever said, "Two can live as cheaply as one." was a liar and should be dragged through a field of cactus. Not getting married is a great way to prevent getting divorced. You don't buy a cow because you want milk.
    5. If you must marry, then by all means make sure that you can tolerate all her faults before you tie the knot. 'Cause those faults are only gonna get worse. Cheaters cheat, drinkers drink, abusers abuse, spenders spend. Don't EVER make the mistake of thinking she's gonna change. And if she can't support your hunting, fishing, and gun purchasing, she's wrong for you and now is the time to cut the lines and head out for better prospects.
    6. If you do get married and she turns out to be the biggest mistake of your life, forget advice #3 and find a divorce attorney. Don't wait, don't waste your time with counseling or separation. A bad wife is worse than having a bad tempered pit bull with rabies. SHE'S NOT GONNA CHANGE. Move on. Oh, and make sure you've buried some cash where the attorney's can't find it.
    7. If you have a dream - a farm, a place on a lake, whatever - start making it happen now. It's gonna take a long time to get it complete, but don't lose your dream.
    8. DON'T expect to move into that life you dream of when you RETIRE. I can't tell you how many people I've known that wound up dying before they reached that age or were messed up with cancer or some other thing by that point. I watched a guy spend years setting up the place he always wanted and working far too hard for years to make it happen, only to die a few years after he retired. Make things happen now.
    9. I know you're thinking that you're smarter than some old pelter who tried to give you advice. You're not going to listen, and I understand that, as I didn't listen when I was young. When you get old, don't waste your time blaming everybody else for your situation. Accept that you did it to yourself and just make the best of it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Here's another fact. Not everyone is suited for the rural life. Many may think they are, until they start living the rural life and then realize just how much hard work is really involved with living rural. And if you decide to go rural, and get some livestock, whatever they may be, then it becomes a daily thing, every day.

It's great life, if it's suited to your personality. Many people move to very rural areas, embrace the lifestyle and adapt to it quite well. Some just don't though.

Top Bottom