• ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    .....How did your preps work out?
    Strengths? Weaknesses? Areas that went ok but could be improved on?

Let's hear it.
    Lynx Defense

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Still have several days of storms to go, but...

Lots of water stored, extra ice blocks made, extra food options purchased, car gas tanks full, plenty of candles and flashlights, emergency radio good to go, keeping cell phone and laptop batteries charged, rain boots and rain gear by the door, saws and a sharp axe at the ready (already used for my neighbor's tree).

We'll see what plays out in the next 48 to 72 hours.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I boarded windows just in case. The steel clips for securing plywood in a brick window frame SUCK! They are almost impossible to work with by yourself with multiple clips for each window board.

edit
    These are similar: https://www.amazon.com/PLYLOX-87198-WINDSTORM-WINDOW-CLIPS/dp/B000H5VMEG

I didn't have clips so I cut 2x2 s at a 20 degree angle on one side then mounted them on edges, worked awesome!!!!
    d4bdfa1a7c6078fcc5a7e9befe3a8787.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwr1221

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I went ahead and filled up an "aquapod" in one of the bathtubs just in case. I had ordered them from disaster supply in 2013 and when I filled it, I found out that since the bag was stored folded up in the (original) box, I had a few small leaks right on the creases! I put a square of duct tape over the hole and it seems to be holding, but I'm thinking that from here on out, I'll consider these things to have a shelf life!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I did not board up on the east side. I have custom fit covers using lock bolts that fit into holes in the bricks.

Our only problem was that the septic tank pump got overwhelmed in the worst of the rain. It took a little time to catch up. Had plenty of dog food for Jake, too.

We did not lose power.

Yup, I automatically keep plenty of bottled water and emergency food in the spring and replace them as needed. There's plenty of food & water here and all the batteries are charged for lights etc.

Flash

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I went ahead and filled up an "aquapod" in one of the bathtubs just in case. I had ordered them from disaster supply in 2013 and when I filled it, I found out that since the bag was stored folded up in the (original) box, I had a few small leaks right on the creases! I put a square of duct tape over the hole and it seems to be holding, but I'm thinking that from here on out, I'll consider these things to have a shelf life!

I have one or two of those.
    I've never looked at them.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I think I might want to look at getting one of those water bob things. But for potable water, I just use several 5-gallon jerry cans (plastic Scepter containers made specifically for water). I keep them full throughout storm season and maybe empty/refill them once or twice just to keep the water as fresh as possible.

I've always figured the water-in-the-tub deal would be just for flushing and washing, etc., so never bothered buying a water bob. But sometimes tub drains have a slow leak--even with a plug--and a water bob can alleviate that situation.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Being in Houston we have missed most of the really damaging winds and weather. We have received a lot of lightning and I have disconnected the TV and computers. We have surge protectors but no sense in stressing those. Do I leave them disconnected? Buy more and double them up? I think I am better off just unplugging the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    It's never a good idea to daisy chain surge protectors. I also have a UPS battery backup and they tell you to not connect a surge protector to it be cause it is one.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    It's never a good idea to daisy chain surge protectors. I also have a UPS battery backup and they tell you to not connect a surge protector to it be cause it is one.

Do they say why? One would think a surge protector as a doorway or gate. Steel Front door, storm door, burger bar door. Three doors should be safer Than one? Not sure how they can interfere with one another or cause damage.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I think I might want to look at getting one of those water bob things. But for potable water, I just use several 5-gallon jerry cans (plastic Scepter containers made specifically for water). I keep them full throughout storm season and maybe empty/refill them once or twice just to keep the water as fresh as possible.

I've always figured the water-in-the-tub deal would be just for flushing and washing, etc., so never bothered buying a water bob. But sometimes tub drains have a slow leak--even with a plug--and a water bob can alleviate that situation.

Same reason we got one too. In my last home the tubs wouldn't hold water over time . In the new house it looks like a different story. I filled up my tub on Friday and it's still holdin, so that's good to know.

But the 5 gallon cans sound like a good idea as well. I'll look into getting a few.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Do they say why? One would think a surge protector as a doorway or gate. Steel Front door, storm door, burger bar door. Three doors should be safer Than one? Not sure how they can interfere with one another or cause damage.

I am by no means an electrical expert so I went looking for a better answer than I could describe.
    "Surge protection comes from a MOV (metal oxide varistor) across the line, not affected by total current draw. Surge supression and noise filtering comes from a capacitor across the line which draws very little current. If you need a lot of low power outlets, then using multiple surge suppress strips is OK. It is (marginally) better to tree structure them than daisy chain them."
    It will make the power noisy which can affect sensitive things like electronics. You also don't want to overload the 15-20 amp breaker.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I don't remember when I bought my water bobs....its been years....2 for $40 on Amazon.

Been holdiing water in the tub for three days now.....lost power in Huntsville for a few hours yesterday, haven't lost water service though.

My brother filled up that tub in this townhouse during a hurricane many years ago - during Rita or Ike - a couple hours later, the water was coming through to ceiling o. The first floor.....tub drain was not sealed well.

I resealed the drain whern we moved in, this was cheap insurance.
    20170826_122136.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom