• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    A couple of thoughts worth what you paid for them. If you're primarily interested in target shooting, I'd think about how much you might shoot it. A .22-250 is getting into barrel burner territory. If I had one, and planned on shooting it a lot, I'd also look at what it would take to replace the rifle's barrel. Replacing a Savage barrel is very easy. If you shoot it much, you'd better be ready to get into reloading too.
    It's not getting into burner territory it's there. It can be prolonged if you can keep the barrel somewhat cool but its still an overbore with poor shoulder angle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    It's not getting into burner territory it's there. It can be prolonged if you can keep the barrel somewhat cool but its still an overbore with poor shoulder angle.

I was trying to be nice.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    That's the feedback I'm looking for. I've read a lot on the pros and cons and the pros outweighed the cons, but hadn't seen anything on burning up barrels.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I wouldn't take that as gospel. Metallurgy has changed a lot from when that cartridge was introduced. I'd at least investigate it. Generally high pressures, high velocities and overbores like Dee said are at least something to be mindful of.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    If barrel burning was as bad as some think it to be then Weatherby would have been out of business decades ago. I have no idea how many rounds my second hand Weatherby 257 has but it shoots one hole groups with ease. It’s 15 years old. A 22-250 can last 2500-3000 rounds if care and appropriate powders and measures are used. Even shooting factory ammo.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This look interesting:
    57882_1.jpg

Bergara B 14 HMR
    Although it's about $400 more then the Weatherby Vanguard, it's in the more doable range for me. I can't say I know much about Bergara, but a couple of articles go on to say they are known for their high quality barrels. Does anyone here have much experience with Bergara? And if so what's your take on them?

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This look interesting:
    View attachment 158132
    Bergara B 14 HMR
    Although it's about $400 more then the Weatherby Vanguard, it's in the more doable range for me. I can't say I know much about Bergara, but a couple of articles go on to say they are known for their high quality barrels. Does anyone here have much experience with Bergara? And if so what's your take on them?
    Good looking rifle. Almost bought one early this year. Seems what I remember is that the action is smooth and barrel is accurate. Lots of good info if you poke around the web and Youtube.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Good looking rifle. Almost bought one early this year. Seems what I remember is that the action is smooth and barrel is accurate. Lots of good info if you poke around the web and Youtube.
    It's been pretty positive reviews that I've read so far, I just haven't seen them around here that I can remember. I'll certainly have to look closer at the stores.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have been doing a lot of research on the Bergara B14 HMR and the more I research it, the more I'm liking this rifle. Now there's not as much information on the 22-250 as there is on the 308 or 6.5 creedmore, but it is still relevant to the rifle design itself.

Bergara's main claim to fame is their barrels. Although not a bull barrel, they do have a much steeper taper then most, making it an in between regular hunting barrel and a match bull barrel, hence the HMR, which stands for hunting and match rifle. Their way of making the bore is quite interesting and probably why most of their rifles are in the higher end scale.

The Bolt is the Remington 700 style bolt, but with a Sako style extractor. All the reviews I've read and seen rave at the smoothness of the bolt. Also, talking about Remington, it takes the same rings and bases, so looking for various styles won't be a problem.

The trigger, although single stage, is said to be crisp and clean at right around 3 pounds.

The stock is their own design and the reviews have been all positive so far. More rigid then other rifles in their price range adding better stability to the free floated barrel.

Like the weatherby, the Begara also has a sub MOA guaranty.

I need to at least find someplace selling a variant of these to get my own assessment of the feel, but overall, so far, this has risen to the top of my choices

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    My uncle just picked one up in 6.5 creed. It's nice than typical mass production guns. It shot pretty good too it seemed when I sighted it in.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom