• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    It's a single stage press with a quick change die feature. If you don't have a thick enough lock ring on the die. There will play between the die nut and the notch that holds it.

Claim to fame. Easier to pull the handle with less run out because the shell holder floats. (Meaning it slides side to side and isn't attached solid.)

I wouldn't buy one. Your mileage may vary.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Sub'd. I keep eyeballing them, but there are a couple of things that bother me with the lack of a typical shell holder. I don't see how I can use my primer pocket swager that I use every time I load .223. I also don't see how one can use the shellholders with different thicknesses for bumping shoulders back.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What the pros use.

I don't really like their special features though.

I prefer my press and dies to tell the case where to go. I don't want a bent case moving the die or shell holder and allowing the case to stay out of true.

That being said I have never used one or seen the need.

My RockChucker makes plenty good ammo.

jdh47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Tennessee Colony, Texas
    Their biggest drawback is they are expensive. The shell holder is difficult to change around from .308 standard size heads to the smaller .223 size heads. They do not have the leverage that a Rock Chucker does but they do a good job. If you are just reloading and not having to any heavy resizing or case forming they are great as the dies are easy to change.

There is someone that makes a retrofit shell holder that has captured springs and is easier to swap around. Also you can order from Forster an attachment that allows you to use standard shell holders.

A lot of people swear by them and they do a pretty good job. I have one and have no complaints except the few I mentioned.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I’ve been loading in one for about 10 years. Smoothest and easiest press I’ve ever used.

You can get plenty of leverage with it. I actually use the stubbly handle on mine instead of the longer one and have no problem loading larger calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Their biggest drawback is they are expensive. The shell holder is difficult to change around from .308 standard size heads to the smaller .223 size heads. They do not have the leverage that a Rock Chucker does but they do a good job. If you are just reloading and not having to any heavy resizing or case forming they are great as the dies are easy to change.

There is someone that makes a retrofit shell holder that has captured springs and is easier to swap around. Also you can order from Forster an attachment that allows you to use standard shell holders.

A lot of people swear by them and they do a pretty good job. I have one and have no complaints except the few I mentioned.

I changed my shell holder from large to small for the first time yesterday. I don't know what all the fuss is about. Sure, it's more involved than swapping standard shell holders but it's pretty damned easy.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I've never gotten into the loading game before; however, this is exactly the setup I've had my eye on for quite a while. I'm looking to load 6.8SPC, 6.5x55, .308, and maybe one other rifle cartridge. For pistols, maybe 9mm and .45, but I'm not really worried about pistol ammo.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    The Coax is a great press. Like some said, it's what the pros use. With that said, most reloading presses will crank out quality ammo. So buy what you like and can afford.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've never been interested in the Forster because I've read that some dies are too tall to completely clear the handle. Can anyone confirm? Has anyone tried, for example, a really tall micrometer seater or maybe a Vickerman and had interference problems?

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I've never been interested in the Forster because I've read that some dies are too tall to completely clear the handle. Can anyone confirm? Has anyone tried, for example, a really tall micrometer seater or maybe a Vickerman and had interference problems?
    I can measure if you want. I have a short micrometer die and it fits fine, my Hornady collet bullet puller doesn't though.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    If I was buying only one press for use with both pistol and rifle, I'd buy the Dillon 550. It's a great press that can be used as either a single stage press or a progressive press. The manual indexing allows it to easily work as a single stage press. But for those times when you want to crank out the ammo fast, you can use it as a progressive. Add a case feeder down the road, your hand and shoulder will thank you and you'll increase your speed even more. You'll have more upfront cost, but you'll end up with a more versatile press compared to Foster's Coax.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas

I’ve loaded 300 Win Mag with VLD bullets using a Redding competition seater die with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I’ve loaded 300 Win Mag with VLD bullets using a Redding competition seater die with no issues.
    Thanks.

I've done some more research and apparently clearance problems were common a number of years ago. Then Forster re-designed the handle giving it a deeper yoke. I don't see anything recent with people complaining about clearance.

My original question, then, was another example of an old guy with outdated information. Now I know better.

Top Bottom