Join TexasGunTalk

Thoughts on Forster Co-Ax press

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bignic83, May 24, 2018.

1. ed308

ed308 Well-Known

Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    The Coax is a great press. Like some said, it's what the pros use. With that said, most reloading presses will crank out quality ammo. So buy what you like and can afford.

2. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've never been interested in the Forster because I've read that some dies are too tall to completely clear the handle. Can anyone confirm? Has anyone tried, for example, a really tall micrometer seater or maybe a Vickerman and had interference problems?

Vaquero likes this.
  3. orbitup

orbitup Sticker Cop TGT Supporter

Nov 6, 2010
    South of Dallas
    I can measure if you want. I have a short micrometer die and it fits fine, my Hornady collet bullet puller doesn't though.

4. ed308

ed308 Well-Known

Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    If I was buying only one press for use with both pistol and rifle, I'd buy the Dillon 550. It's a great press that can be used as either a single stage press or a progressive press. The manual indexing allows it to easily work as a single stage press. But for those times when you want to crank out the ammo fast, you can use it as a progressive. Add a case feeder down the road, your hand and shoulder will thank you and you'll increase your speed even more. You'll have more upfront cost, but you'll end up with a more versatile press compared to Foster's Coax.

5. Mike_from_Texas

Mike_from_Texas Active Member

Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I’ve loaded 300 Win Mag with VLD bullets using a Redding competition seater die with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Thanks.

I've done some more research and apparently clearance problems were common a number of years ago. Then Forster re-designed the handle giving it a deeper yoke. I don't see anything recent with people complaining about clearance.

My original question, then, was another example of an old guy with outdated information. Now I know better.