• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I would think the 30-06 should be first, pick off 1 or 2 (or more) from a distance and give them something to think about.
    If they continue to advance, then the AR with the 100rd drum, to put down some fire.
    Target Sports

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I too will recommend an ACOG, specifically the TA31RCO. That's the one we used in the Marine Corps.

PMAGs, only way to go as far as magazines.

Thermal? Absolutely if you can afford it.

Suppressor? Again, if you can afford it they are definitely worth having.

Have you handled a larger 308 sized AR? If that is too much weapon, here's some food for thought. The advice about a 300BLK is sound and on a regular AR you can have an upper in both 556 and 300BLK.

Also, I would recommend a 16" barrel, especially if going suppressed. A can on the end of longer barrels can be unwieldy for some. A 16" barrel will have no problem at those distances and the can will gain you back a few FPS.

There's at least one company that is building a 7.52x51 AR that's almost exactly the same as the mouse caliber.

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/revolution/

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    42F35477-C963-4584-A712-9D2A04B05DAA.jpeg

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    The two bolt-action rifles you have should dissuade any evildoers at the 300-150yd distances you have. If the perps are more brave than smart and keep coming, any AR carbine with iron sights or a red dot will do. Even a good .30-30 levergun will handle that situation.....

....unless you're expecting the Chinese Army to cross the river. In that case, you should probably move.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Finally, after all the posts someone said something that makes sense.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    True, but if want something to move around quickly and shoot on the fly, I would stick to the AR15 set up.

I just don't see much difference in carrying a few pounds more. But maybe that is just me.

Just like the discussion folks have over ounces difference in pistol weight, when a person's body weight fluctuates several pounds over the course of 24 hours.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    This has been a fun exercise and a learning one too. Glad I am not the only one to overthink this and I appreciate the info and especially like Ole Cowboy's perspective and setup. I ran this issue past another local around here and he said he had a vehicle barrier that he could slip into place behind his cattle gate given 15 minutes and the forks on his tractor. That means anyone coming in would have to cross 400 yards of open space with no cover. He suggested an AR15 with a bump stock and a 100 rd mag so you could spray an unholy amount of lead in the general direction of any intruders and that should send them running. If not, then he plans on using a 30-06 with good optics to pick off as many as possible with the realization that once they get close you are pretty much toast anyway.

Interesting how different people view this issue.
    In reality the way I see it its 13 days of the Alamo. If they want you they are going to win. This is what makes China so fearsome. The ONLY way the Chinese will ever be defeated is in a scorched earth war and we have to go full nuke on day one, hour 1.

Since you are rural like I am your best approach is to engage a the MAX range possible either with pinpoint fires or massed fires via FA or bump stock approach, all in hopes that will scare them off and then will just head down the road. On the other hand you run the risk of sending the message there is REALLY something there worth having. IMO high intensity fires are less effective that a AR10 in .308 or 6.5CM and engaging at 800 m and using a 'can' is highly effective...as you stand there nearly a click away talking to your buddy only to see his head explode. I have been engaged with sniper fire on my location (OP) and it does pucker you. Sadly my partner this was his first day and while he did not get hit he affected so much we put him on helicopter the next morning back to the rear and never saw him again.

I think in most cases engaging at max will send them looking for greener pastures. FA fires are not very effective, but they are psychologically effective for very short periods of time I think they will only scare off the weak.

If I had to pick a single round, single gun it would be an AR10 in 6.5CM, this opens up a box full of AR 10 uppers in anything based upon the .308 such as the .338L, 6.5CM and of course .308 and others...one gun many calibers, many barrel lengths and configurations, one with a can, another w/out.

Want to keep folks off your property put up this sign at every point of entrance or access: "Game cameras in use". I also have several dummy cameras in clear and open view of all my gates, pointed at my gates. I don't have 'No Trespassing' signs up because in my opinion they are nothing but a 'welcome' sign. I also have one sign that says: 'This gate locked for your protection, not mine.'

All in all I would say in all likelihood you have little to worry about, but for the same reason you have a fire extinguisher and carry insurance you should be well prepared and well armed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom