• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I never mentioned the government at all or that I thought they should intervene. Screw them, they need to stay out of my life.

We didn't talk about price except in the context of a monopoly.

I don't know anything about the guy and his truck, I was discussing opinions on price gouging.

Trying to keep this a discussion of differing opinions versus a pissing contest has exceeded my give a shit. Peace man, of course you're right

My posts starting with #50 were in response axxe55 post #43 about the guy in the truck selling TP. Guess you were not following my context.
    Military Camp

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Every one who has commented on one side or the other:

Who is responsible for not having enough ______ in their home in case of an emergency ?

This. One might say failing to prep and "hoard" the things your family may need in times of crisis is... immoral.

Now, if I'm a sweetheart of a guy and a good neighbor and I really like you, maybe I'll sell you a roll of TP for $5. If you act like I owe it to you, well then Molon Labe.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Every thing he bought/ sold was before the declared state of emergency.

Cam beat me to it, but I dont think a declared state of emergency has a ton to do with it. The 22LR scare wasn't that at all, but it happened.

I haven't been affected by either of them. I had 10k rounds of 22 back then and was able to periodically find 22 in stores, which I bought. And I found TP last week before I ran out and bought a couple packs. (what do the ladies DO with that stuff?)

Its a bit different with the 22, as its not something needed to live another day. But the stuff people are gouging over are things needed / used on a day to day basis, at least in this current situation.

People will buy it at inflated prices due to fear mostly. I don't think because someone has a different philosophy on how they buy things should impact their ability to go buy things. I usually buy a giant pack of TP at Costco. when I have around 5 or 6 rolls, I go buy another. For most things I don't stockpile massive quantities. I buy it when I need it.

The gougers are buying in such massive quantities that others can't buy normal buys. Its why most stores are now on a limited amount allowed to be purchased.

If it wasn't a problem then the stores would never have limited purchase quantities and the gubment would never have stepped in to take action. Some of what is happening is immoral (capitalizing on the fears of others), some is illegal (affecting the marketplace and ability of folks to use it).

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    And that is another problem.

I see folks need generators after hurricane Katrina. None in their area. I take off work, run around NTX buying generators, rent a a truck, hire a day worker, drive to disaster. My cost to get that generator to you might be 3x regular local cost, but my cost is not taken into account. I am labeled a gouger. So instead of helping, I stay home, watch Geraldo and Shep point out they need generators, show dead bodies on I-10, more at convention center, all from my A/C house, and you are on your own. Great system, punish those who want to help...

Thats a very different situation, and bit of a reach than selling your $12 pack of toilet paper for $100. Especially when you are parked in the parking lot of the store you just bought it from.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Thats a very different situation, and bit of a reach than selling your $12 pack of toilet paper for $100. Especially when you are parked in the parking lot of the store you just bought it from.

Different, but all part of the price gouger narrative. And the guy who tried to help with those generators was arrested, and generators helped nobody. No good deed goes unpunished.

John Shepperson of Kentucky, who in 2005 took time away from his normal job to buy 19 generators, rent a U-Haul truck, and drive it 600 miles to the Katrina-damaged area of Mississippi. John offered to sell his generators at twice the price he paid, to help cover his costs and make a profit. Instead his generators were confiscated, Shepperson was arrested for price gouging, held by police for four days, and the generators kept in police custody. They never made it to consumers with urgent needs who desperately wanted to buy them.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Different, but all part of the price gouger narrative. And the guy who tried to help with those generators was arrested, and generators helped nobody. No good deed goes unpunished.

John Shepperson of Kentucky, who in 2005 took time away from his normal job to buy 19 generators, rent a U-Haul truck, and drive it 600 miles to the Katrina-damaged area of Mississippi. John offered to sell his generators at twice the price he paid, to help cover his costs and make a profit. Instead his generators were confiscated, Shepperson was arrested for price gouging, held by police for four days, and the generators kept in police custody. They never made it to consumers with urgent needs who desperately wanted to buy them.
    Well, at there are 19 hunting/fishing camps that now have power.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I drove to Louisiana to buy a car from a member of a car Forum that I belong to.
    We kept in contact during the trip there, talking on the phone 2 or 3 times.
    When I got there, he told me that someone offered him $2k more than the price we had agreed upon.
    I left after a few choice words.
    His name was mud on the Forum and he disappeared.

Someone actually used the name mud?

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    So all you free market haters, tell me at what percentage profit does capitalism go from "reasonable" to "gouging"? 10%? 20%? 150%? You must have a number in mind, or this is all just emotional bullshit.

Now, does that number apply at all times or are there exceptions? If I sell you ice in the middle of the Sahara can I get more than $2 a 5# bag for it or is that gouging? What if it's a Tuesday? What if it looks like rain this evening? What if my truck is nicer than yours? What if the fella that sold it to me charged too much? What if, what if, what if?

What if, and this is gonna sound radical, we just let the fella that owns it decide how much he wants for it?

If my boys whined about wanting something that belonged to someone else I'd tell em to man up and obtain it honorably, and quit their bitchin like a woman, and whoop their ass if they couldn't learn the lesson any other way. But that's just me.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    What if, and this is gonna sound radical, we just let the fella that owns it decide how much he wants for it?

The seller can ask, but at the end of the day the buyer determines the price by whether he pays it or not. But the anti-gougers want the govt to lower the price for them. Not much different the $15/hr min wagers, who want the govt to raise the price of their product.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    How about people buy what they need? Then the next guy buy what he needs. And so on?

Its worked really well for a few decades until a bunch of fuktards decide they can make a buck by trick fuking his fellow man.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    This is what allows the American Dream - property rights. I built my wealth by buying low and selling high. All y'all with a 401K are doin the same thing. If your stock values double do you think I'm gonna cry and say 100% profit is "gouging" and you should sell them to me for the price I like?

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    How about people buy what they need? Then the next guy buy what he needs. And so on?

Its worked really well for a few decades until a bunch of fuktards decide they can make a buck by trick fuking his fellow man.

Let's see an inventory of your shit. I'm certain there's shit you don't need. Or are your "needs" none of my business? Just like mine are none of yours.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Why is it always the broke MF'ers that want to tell me how I should take care of them. It's not coincidence. Find someone that knows how to make money (and maintain adequate stocks of TP) that will mentor you and see if there's something you can learn from them.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Just looked at CTD. $34.99 for 50 rounds of Tula 9mm. Gauging that price, I'd say it was gouging and I have no need to buy.

I know you can't SHOOT the Corona virus, but after seeing that I may drink a Corona followed by a whiskey shooter!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Let's see an inventory of your shit. I'm certain there's shit you don't need. Or are your "needs" none of my business? Just like mine are none of yours.

When did we switch from talking about gouging to talking about needs? I got plenty of stuff for me and mine. Most of it bought months ago. Except TP and paper towels, those two are too big for me to want to stockpile.

The difference between me and a gouger is that when somebody I know has a need, i give it to them. Not sell it to them for 10x what I paid for it.

And you are sounding like a dick, so I won't be giving you anything. Correct, your needs or stock has zero interest to me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom