• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Im in the market for a gun just to have fun with/plinking. Im leaning toward the Mossberg 715t. I know its not the best gun in the world but for the price it seems like a pretty good option. Im wanting to stay around $300 or so.
    Venture Surplus ad

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Im in the market for a gun just to have fun with/plinking. Im leaning toward the Mossberg 715t. I know its not the best gun in the world but for the price it seems like a pretty good option. Im wanting to stay around $300 or so.

If you're wanting the AR look and don't mind a gun that's very picky on ammo, then the Mossberg is okay. As suggested there are better and more reliable plinkers out there.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I had the 715T at one point. Sold it to fund the 10/22 I have now. The 715T just felt cheap, didn't feed properly, the magazine sucks. The follower on the mag is not attached to the spring, so I had to super glue them together just to be able to feed more than 10 or 11 rounds into the 25 round mag. The mag issue is widely known, so it wasn't just an issue with mine. Get a 10/22.

TKG

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    I had one for about 3 days. Wasn't real impressed with it, the mags suck as mentioned and it just has an overall cheap feel to it. I sold it and ended up with an mp15-22 and it and is leaps and bounds better. Comparatively, the MP is worth way more than $200 bump in price.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    The 715 is just a 795 with "tactical" shell built around it.

I started out by purchasing a Ruger 10/22. Base model out of the box it is a great little shooter and not picky on ammo at all. Since the purchase I have gotten some BX-25 magazines and put an ATI Strikeforce stock on it. The stock gives you all the capabilities you'd want but with the added bonus of a folding stock that is also adjustable.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    My 795 and a friends 715 indeed look very similar. I was looking into a 10/22 when i was also recomended a 795 and have been happy with it. There are aftermarket mods but nothing like the ruger. My friends 715, while sloppy in fit and function fires off just fine and is very accurate. My 795 seems to be built a lot better and has no slop and everthing just feels and looks better. My only gripe so far is the lack of being able to fire without a mag inserted, but theres a mod for that too.

ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks everyone Im still new at all of this but Ive looked around online and I think the 10/22 is a better option. Im not sure if I want to try and get the i-tac or just a base model and get a stock for it later on.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Go with a basic one unless one with features can be had within your budget. 10/22 can be outfitted later for cheap as people take off stocks and whatever else and sell at a reduced price.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Thanks everyone Im still new at all of this but Ive looked around online and I think the 10/22 is a better option. Im not sure if I want to try and get the i-tac or just a base model and get a stock for it later on.

I recommend getting the base model. I've put serious thought into putting it back to stock configuration and using a different barrel ring that would allow me to mount a bipod and basic rails. The ATI stock is nice but you can't use the stock sights very well. I've got a cheap red dot on it but I almost feel like I've had my tacticool fun and now maybe I want to turn it into a decent varmit gun instead.

Top Bottom