• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Im strongly considering this revolver in the 3" magnum for a snake gun/farm sidearm. Any ideas on The Judge?? Im not worried about the brand, all of my handguns are taurus.
    ARJ Defense ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Shotshells for snake, .45 Colt for bigger stuff. The buck and slugs are apparently pretty worthless. Not surprising, since the burn rate of the powder is too slow for a handgun.

I've been looking at the 2 1/2" version as a hiking gun because I like the idea of loading a round of birdshot for snakes and some .45 Colt hard cast for bigger creatures. My opinion, I wouldn't bother with the 3" version.

eriadoc

Nov 11, 2008
    It's a ton of fun. You can easily find better weapons for any and every application you might think of, but the Judge is fun.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    That is something to consider is snake shot in my 357 magnum, yes they do make holsters for the judge, even black hawk makes them.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I used to carry my Ruger .357 snubby with shot shells for snakes when walking into some remote areas to fish creeks, and did shoot one snake. After I shot it, I figured out it was not poisonous and probably didn't need to be shoot. But I was walking along a skinny path though fairly thick woods, and in an instance, there it was hanging from a tree about four feet from my head and looked like it had bad intentions. About 7 foot long. It dropped with one head shoot at about 6 feet

jfrey

Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    The "Judge" is a blast to shoot and mine is very accurate with the .45LC loads. The #4 shot load is generally considered to be the best combination for personal protection, from what I have heard. I can completely cover a 4X8 sheet of plywood with a load of #9's at 15 yards. The grips are comfortable and absorb recoil. Get one, you'll enjoy it.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    . . . . I can completely cover a 4X8 sheet of plywood with a load of #9's at 15 yards. . . . . .quote]

IMHO, this wouldn't be a great thing in a defense gun.

The judge looks like a blast to me, but I want something a bit more precise.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    to me the judge is a ranch/snake pistol. Of course snake shot works too, but thats if your lucky enough to find any. I guess im not lucky... :banghead:

If there was a bad guy in my house, I'd probably reach either for my 12 gauge, my 357 magnum, or my 1911. Than a Judge.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Judge in .45 LC has self-defense usage, but the shot capability is worthless. Alot of shot is great, but if you can't place it, or get penetration ... you are taking a big risk.

However, shot works great on snakes and other small critters, but as others have said, you can always load snake shot into other revolvers / semi-autos. Probably not too good for the crown or throat of either, but it's better than a rattler trying to eat your leg.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Box O' Truth website has pics of the author shooting hand-thrown clays with a Judge.

IMO, it'd be a great snake gun thanks to the increased shot load .410 gives over traditional shotshells for handguns. But that's about the limit of the usefulness of the .410 capability.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I used to carry my Ruger .357 snubby with shot shells for snakes when walking into some remote areas to fish creeks, and did shoot one snake. After I shot it, I figured out it was not poisonous and probably didn't need to be shoot. But I was walking along a skinny path though fairly thick woods, and in an instance, there it was hanging from a tree about four feet from my head and looked like it had bad intentions. About 7 foot long. It dropped with one head shoot at about 6 feet

Just cause it wasn't poisinous doesn't mean that it didn't have bad intentions... Some snakes even if they aren't going to bite you to kill ya will bite you to mark their territory... I love Ruger 357's

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom