• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ac130abovegetdown

It’s our God given right to own and carry firearms
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2022
    SATX
    Just received an email after contacting John Cornyn…

Dear ——:

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms policy. I appreciate your comments on this important matter.

On May 24, 2022, a gunman maliciously took the lives of 21 innocent people, including 19 children at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas. My heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones. As you know, this is an incredibly difficult time for the Uvalde community, Texas, and our Nation. We are committed to coordinating with federal, state, and local officials to assist the Uvalde community as they navigate the aftermath of this tragedy.

Students and teachers deserve to feel safe inside of their schools, and parents deserve peace of mind when they send their children to school. To that end, my Senate colleagues and I have engaged in bipartisan discussions to draft mental health and school safety legislation to identify and prevent violence in our communities. It is imperative for Congress to improve the availability and accessibility of mental health services across the country, particularly within our schools, to address the root causes of mass violence. In addition, school safety measures must be bolstered to ensure schools have effective violence prevention mechanisms in place.

To be clear, we are not talking about restricting or limiting the rights of current law-abiding gun owners. We need targeted reforms to ensure existing laws keep guns out of the hands of criminals and those who have been adjudicated as mentally ill. The Constitution guarantees the right to keep and bear arms, and I strongly oppose any effort to infringe on that right.

As this legislation begins to take shape, my goal is to reach an agreement that can earn broad bipartisan support. In the wake of the 2017 Sutherland Springs shooting, we learned that the existing background check system-the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)-did not identify that the shooter was prohibited from purchasing and possessing a firearm under federal law. As a result, I reached across the aisle and worked with my Republican colleagues to pass the bipartisan Fix NICS Act (S. 2135; 115th Congress), which was signed into law as part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2018 (P. L. 115-141). This law improves the uploading of records from local, state, and federal agencies to better identify those who are already disqualified under current law from purchasing a firearm. States and federal agencies have uploaded more than eleven million records since the bill's passage. I'm convinced that this legislation has saved lives.

Like you, I am outraged by mass shootings and the violence inflicted upon our communities. As your Senator, I am committed to focusing on the root causes of mass violence, improving the enforcement of current law, and addressing improvements to mental health care in America. I will continue to push for effective solutions that protect communities while preserving the protections and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate. I recognize we may have differing opinions on this important matter, but I hope you will continue to share your views with me. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator”
    Guns International

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Received this canned email from Cornhole today...

After the tragedy in Uvalde, I knew the time had come that we could no longer stand by and let the killings continue.

As a lifelong outdoorsman and Second Amendment advocate with an A+ rating from the NRA, I knew the task of addressing this trend of violence would not be easy.

I set to work with a group of my colleagues to come up with a plan — one that could make attacks like what we saw in Uvalde less likely while not restricting gun rights for law-abiding Texans.

I am proud we developed a bill to protect both our communities, and our Constitutional rights. Our plan includes important pro-Second Amendment priorities:

NO NEW RESTRICTIONS for law-abiding gun owners Cracking down on VIOLENT CRIMINALS and keeping guns out of the hands of those adjudicated MENTALLY ILL STRENGTHENING but NOT EXPANDING the background check system Enhancing SECURITY MEASURES at schools to HARDEN SOFT TARGETS

The Democrats fought hard to include their wish list of unrelated gun-control policies that would have trampled the rights of gun owners across the country. But, I stood firm in defense of the Second Amendment, and kept many overreaching provisions out of this agreement:

NO assault weapons ban for 18- to 21-year-olds
    NO national “red flag” law
    NO mandatory waiting period for all gun sales
    NO 21-day waiting period for purchases of all firearms for 18- to 21-year-olds
    NO high-capacity magazine ban
    NO universal background checks
    NO unconstitutional mandatory safe storage requirements for all firearms in the home
    NO licensing requirement for purchasing an assault weapon

Instead of all these far-left proposals and talking points, I focused on practical solutions that could create real change and make a difference.

Our plan invests in the physical security and safety of our children’s schools, because no parent should have to be worried that their child is unsafe in the classroom.

Our plan also invests in mental health programs to ensure we can provide necessary support to stop a would-be shooter before they can engage in an act of violence.

I believe that if we’re able to pass this legislation into law, it will help reduce the violence affecting our communities while strengthening the Second Amendment for law-abiding Texans.

If you agree that it’s important to prioritize strong Second Amendment protections in any plan to combat violence in our communities, let me know below.

For Texas,

John

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Wrote the county GOP office, got 'yup - lots of people may not vote for Cornyn' response. Not a very positive response in reference to getting somebody good to run. State GOP next, see what they say.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Unfortunately, it's likely the same message he got in 2020.....

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

He counts the 2A community as part of the R base because there ain’t no place else for those voters to go, so he looks to keep an ‘unchallengeable’ label on his seat. He’s calculating this little piece of work cements that status in a changing Texas electorate.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yeah, our hero Cornhole didn't infringe my rights...

You know, unless my unhinged former sister decides to look up my address and tell the DA's office down in Hays County (the DA's office that maliciously prosecuted me on her false claims before) that I'm somehow a danger to my community and start the ball rolling on a "red flag" confiscation. See, funny thing, once you've been falsely prosecuted and had a DA try to railroad you, you tend to be a little sensitive about things like secret hearings where the accused has no representation, and confiscations without even being charged with a crime, much less convicted of one. Weird how that works.

And, of course, the legislation he's pissing all over himself with pride over will, in fact, infringe my children's rights. Including my 18 year old who's interested in buying his first gun. We need a legal procedure to recall US senators and representatives who've failed their constituents.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Actually we will end up more like Mexico. Still needing government permission for various reasons, no jobs, trash everywhere, foreigners who will just deal in illegal activities anyway to get by and do better than you or I actually.

Y’all know what the answer is.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Yeah, our hero Cornhole didn't infringe my rights...

You know, unless my unhinged former sister decides to look up my address and tell the DA's office down in Hays County (the DA's office that maliciously prosecuted me on her false claims before) that I'm somehow a danger to my community and start the ball rolling on a "red flag" confiscation. See, funny thing, once you've been falsely prosecuted and had a DA try to railroad you, you tend to be a little sensitive about things like secret hearings where the accused has no representation, and confiscations without even being charged with a crime, much less convicted of one. Weird how that works.

And, of course, the legislation he's pissing all over himself with pride over will, in fact, infringe my children's rights. Including my 18 year old who's interested in buying his first gun. We need a legal procedure to recall US senators and representatives who've failed their constituents.
    A constitutional convention hasn't happened fast enough yet. It sucks that we are a country of stupid.

mnpshooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    Centex
    I got the same letter. This was my reply:

Due to your actions on this bill you will not have my vote the next time your up for re-election. I think millions of Texas gun owners are going to turn their backs on you. You know as well as I do that the federal government wastes the majority of taxpayers hard earned money. There is still unspent Covid money allocated to schools that could have been used for school security. Please use the rest of your last term to actually help Texans KEEP their constitutional rights.

Top Bottom