• ...and so much more!
  • subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I'm in the market for a large "safe". I know, I know.....it's not a REAL safe, blah blah blah.

Anywho, have any of y'all had any experience with these? The price includes curbside delivery, so I'm pretty tempted...
    Screenshot_20180208-231056.jpg
    Screenshot_20180208-231105.jpg
    Screenshot_20180208-231122.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Meh, it's a Cannon so should be fine.

I will make one recommendation though. If you are looking for a bigger safe then look for a taller one too.

Being a tad over 6' tall, I have a hard time accessing the top shelf of normal height safes. I had a 6' tall safe for a while and loved it just for that reason.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It will do what it is designed to do, and nothing more.
    It is only 14ga. steel.
    Probably will only hold half as many guns as the 72 that it claims.

ETA: Bolt it down.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Does it happen to have a key backup in case the electronic keypad dies? I know that people have had some issues with their keypads dying and then being locked out of the safe. Seems like Cannon's warranty service is hit and miss. Just a few examples and more can be found via Bing or DuckDuckGo. I would leave it up to you to look into the actual ins and outs of the warranty but locksmiths aren't cheap in case Cannon pulls some crap on you

http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/cannon-safes-warranty-probs.161286/
    https://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2008/12/cannon-safe-failure.html

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Add on question....anyone know where I can find something of comparable size in the sub-$1000 range?

Anyone got a buddy with a big safe for sale?

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Add on question....anyone know where I can find something of comparable size in the sub-$1000 range?

Anyone got a buddy with a big safe for sale?

I doubt that you would find anything new the same size at that price.

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    If you are up to it, you can always buy that safe and then swap out the lock for a S&G dial lock and you would be good to go for awhile

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    If you are up to it, you can always buy that safe and then swap out the lock for a S&G dial lock and you would be good to go for awhile
    Seriously considering swapping the lock.

Used to have a nice big Browning safe. It was attacked during a burglary (held up great), and the locksmith that drilled it open was discussing different lock types with me while he was working.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Seriously considering swapping the lock.

Used to have a nice big Browning safe. It was attacked during a burglary (held up great), and the locksmith that drilled it open was discussing different lock types with me while he was working.

Interesting.
    First hand experience.
    Why was a locksmith needed?

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Interesting.
    First hand experience.
    Why was a locksmith needed?
    Burglars knocked the keypad off and tried to drive a rod through the main gear to knock it off track. Had to drill into the lock and manually force it into the unlocked position to get the bolts to move.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Just remember, most so called premium safes are only deterrents at best. Lock up any tools you may have (crowbars, hammers and anything else used to pry) away, don't give them any advantage. Unless they know you have a safe, they may not be prepared for it. Safes are also targets, they will want to see what's inside.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Burglars knocked the keypad off and tried to drive a rod through the main gear to knock it off track. Had to drill into the lock and manually force it into the unlocked position to get the bolts to move.

I guess the safety features worked.
    I have a dial lock on mine, but I figure they would try to do the same thing with it.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Just remember, most so called premium safes are only deterrents at best. Lock up any tools you may have (crowbars, hammers and anything else used to pry) away, don't give them any advantage. Unless they know you have a safe, they may not be prepared for it. Safes are also targets, they will want to see what's inside.

Also the position of the safe is something to think about to. My safe is positioned in such a way that it is only accessible through the door. Criminals would have a hell of a time getting to the sides, back, top or tipping the SOB over.

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I guess the safety features worked.
    I have a dial lock on mine, but I figure they would try to do the same thing with it.
    Mostly worked. With the force of the jarring that occurred, the safe should have gone into permanent lockdown. It did not. Upon disassembly, it was found to have been improperly assembled at the factory, and the lockdown pin safety catch had not been removed.

Not sure if it actually would have dropped the pin, but I saw that the pin was absolutely locked out.

But the safe did it's job, yes.

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Every safe is a deterrent. If someone wants something bad enough, they'll find a way to get to it.

Heck, bank vaults and Fort Knox are "just" deterrents.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Every safe is a deterrent. If someone wants something bad enough, they'll find a way to get to it.

Heck, bank vaults and Fort Knox are "just" deterrents.

True, but most box store safes are only 12 gage steel at best, that is thinner than 1/8". That is nowhere near as thick as the average bank vault.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Also the position of the safe is something to think about to. My safe is positioned in such a way that it is only accessible through the door. Criminals would have a hell of a time getting to the sides, back, top or tipping the SOB over.

Yep, mine is also recessed in the side of a closet where side shelves once were. Fit in with 1/4 to spare on either side of a stud wall, and secured through a hardware floor into slab.

Security being relative, they can have at the contents, but the idea is to slow them by having to work at it.

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    True, but most box store safes are only 12 gage steel at best, that is thinner than 1/8". That is nowhere near as thick as the average bank vault.
    Absolutely agree.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck in my price range....if it was lower, I'd sell part of the inventory to afford something better. There is a general break over in save to value numbers here at a grand though....Then again at about 4-6 grand, and again when you top 10-12 grand.

For the moment, I'm stuck in the lowest tier.

Top Bottom