• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    I bought my Cannon through Costco. Advertised with electronic lock. Costco informed me it would be drop shipped from Cannon. Called Cannon with my order number and they swapped to dial lock without any issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Yep, mine is also recessed in the side of a closet where side shelves once were. Fit in with 1/4 to spare on either side of a stud wall, and secured through a hardware floor into slab.

Security being relative, they can have at the contents, but the idea is to slow them by having to work at it.

Exactly this. By denying them every side beside the thickest part, the door, it is increasing my chances. Paired with home security, a few dogs who hate strangers and the fact that someone is in my house at all times, I think I am good to go although I know in the back of my head that these are like we said so far, deterrents. Definitely not a replacement for situational awareness and training but they supplement security and I feel its money well spent

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I'm not trying to dissuade you, just something to think about.
    Absolutely!! I've had hours and hours of these types of conversations since my first safe was attacked.

Now that I need another one at a lower price point, I'm running the situation through my head again, trying to balance needs vs value vs quality.

Thank you so much for the input!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Absolutely!! I've had hours and hours of these types of conversations since my first safe was attacked.

Now that I need another one at a lower price point, I'm running the situation through my head again, trying to balance needs vs value vs quality.

Thank you so much for the input!!!

Sorry to go OT here but, is there a concern of them coming back knowing what they know?

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Does it happen to have a key backup in case the electronic keypad dies? I know that people have had some issues with their keypads dying and then being locked out of the safe. Seems like Cannon's warranty service is hit and miss. Just a few examples and more can be found via Bing or DuckDuckGo. I would leave it up to you to look into the actual ins and outs of the warranty but locksmiths aren't cheap in case Cannon pulls some crap on you

http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/cannon-safes-warranty-probs.161286/
    https://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2008/12/cannon-safe-failure.html

None of the Cannon Safes I've looked at have a key backup. If your keypad dies it takes a locksmith to get in your safe. Google Cannon Safe problems and see what you find. I passed on a Cannon safe. Their support record is not very good.

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Sorry to go OT here but, is there a concern of them coming back knowing what they know?
    I'm in a different house in a different town an hour away now.

Now, the police didn't recover everything that was stolen, including stuff that could be used to find me. So there is that. Last I looked, the trial date hadn't been set yet for the one guy they caught. He, at the time of the burglary, was out on bond for armed robbery, and had just found out that the best deal he was gonna get was 2 years in the pen. Then he went on a tear that culminated with me. Hopefully they out the dude someplace and forget where they left him.

Side note.....my homeowner's insurance policy doubled every year since the break in, and was what made me finally decide to sell the house.

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    There is more to it than that, that makes most folks sick to hear, but I don't want to type it all out on my phone.

Suffice to say that this burglary really REALLY screwed me.

It also forces my hand in bringing my girlfriend to Texas, marrying her, and starting our family.

Mrvmax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    I have that exact safe but I paid more than that. I’ve had zero issues with it and for that price it’s going to be hard to beat. As was stated, any safe can be opened but they are there to slow the thieves down. I use layers of protection, video cameras, monitored alarm, the safe and if all else fails I’m insured.

mx711yam

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2018
    liberty hill
    I had one like that, dumped it for a Ft. Knox when I finally started researching safes. Huge price difference but quality difference is insane.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    "Unfortunately, I'm stuck in my price range....if it was lower, I'd sell part of the inventory to afford something better. There is a general break over in save to value numbers here at a grand though....Then again at about 4-6 grand, and again when you top 10-12 grand." -- subseashooter

You don't even have to go that high price-wise: Buy a "Sturdy Safe" (am surprised no one mentioned them) and get way MORE for your money. I have a 2419 model myself, and yes, they're not true "safes" but ARE to-end security-wise RSCs. Most so-called "gun safes" out there are RSCs...but SOME are WAY better than others. MOST are just like the others -- easy to get into. Even the expensive ones.

But when it comes to a Sturdy Safe, it'd be WAY HARDER to get into than a $4K+ Liberty Presidential RSC would be (I had one previously). I'd even bet a Sturdy Safe would be harder to force open than a $6K Ft. Knox (also a RSC). Plus, Sturdy is American-made (in Fresno, CA) with American steel, not poorly made in China with Chinese crap steel. BIG difference, no matter how much the Chinese "safes" cost.

Yes, thicker steel IS better, and IMO, Sturdy makes the best/most secure RSCs (aka: "gun safes") of them all. Best value for your dollar...IMO.

-- BR
    (President, Open Carry El Paso)

Last edited:

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    "Unfortunately, I'm stuck in my price range....if it was lower, I'd sell part of the inventory to afford something better. There is a general break over in save to value numbers here at a grand though....Then again at about 4-6 grand, and again when you top 10-12 grand." -- subseashooter

You don't even have to go that high price-wise: Buy a "Sturdy Safe" (am surprised no one mentioned them) and get way MORE for your money. I have a 2419 model myself, and yes, they're not true "safes" but ARE to-end security-wise RSCs. Most so-called "gun safes" out there are RSCs...but SOME are WAY better than others. MOST are just like the others -- easy to get into. Even the expensive ones.

But when it comes to a Sturdy Safe, it'd be WAY HARDER to get into than a $4K+ Liberty Presidential RSC would be (I had one previously). I'd even bet a Sturdy Safe would be harder to force open than a $6K Ft. Knox (also a RSC). Plus, Sturdy is American-made (in Fresno, CA) with American steel, not poorly made in China with Chinese crap steel. BIG difference, no matter how much the Chinese "safes" cost.

Yes, thicker steel IS better, and IMO, Sturdy makes the best/most secure RSCs (aka: "gun safes") of them all. Best value for your dollar...IMO.

-- BR
    (President, Open Carry El Paso)
    I was eyeballing those, thanks for the recommendation!!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    My old "dial" Cannon safe has done me well for many years (with one exception). One afternoon it decided it would not open (wasn't me or anyone else that was going to get it open! I worked on it a couple of days with no success. I called Cannon, you know they have a 100% lifetime warranty on their safes ........... Bullshit. They said they could have someone come out but I would have to pay them. Upon completion of the worthless phone call I continued to work on it, eventually it came open and I never did figure out why it wouldn't work right.
    KEEP IN MIND ............ CANNON'S "LIFETIME" WARRANTY IS NOT!!!

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Third word, DIAL

If you look up reviews on Cannon Safes you will find thousands of complaints and 1-2 positive reviews. On the keypad safes there is no backup system, if it dies call a locksmith. I went with a Stack-On. Built about the same as a Cannon but behind the keypad is a hole for a funny looking 6" long key. Mine is the 40 gun and it weighs abt 500 lbs.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom