Thoughts on Using a "Planner" for Conceal Carry

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by Aggiemike96, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Aggiemike96

Aggiemike96 New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    A co-worker and I were having a discussion regarding a "day planner" that was designed to be used for conceal carry. We looked at Galco's website, and they have one available. Two questions come to mind: 1) Is this legal as this will not technically be on our person (rather, in a "book" that might be sitting on the table in a restaurant, for example). 2) Can anyone share some personal experiences regarding this type of "off-body" concealment?

2. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I think that as long as the gun is concealed and you have control of it, that method would be legal. But, from a tactical stand point that is a poor option. Deployment would be very slow, and just like a purse, it could be snatched from you if a thief thought there was some value in it.

3. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I agree with Navyguy. On or about your person, under your control.

4. APatriot

APatriot Active Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Oh boy. Concealment for tactical advantage requires "ready" and "speedy" access to your weapon. Therefore, a planner is worthless and nonsensical.

5. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Carrying means "on or about your person," so a planner qualifies as carrying. Just remember that you've got to maintain control of the planner. Will you put it down on the table at a restaurant and leave it behind when you leave? Will you leave it on the seat of your car while pumping gas and some bozo reaches in an snatches it?

Then you've got to figure out how you'll access your weapon quickly. I believe Galco's has a lanyard that allows you to quickly open it, but it's still a far cry from a holster.

I'd consider other options before I'd opt for the planner.

6. jordanmills

jordanmills Well-Known

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Yeah, but untucking your shirt and feeling around for your grip is also not exactly ready or speedy.

7. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I'm not sure I understand. I know exactly where my grip(s) are; no need to feel. The shirt is already untucked.

8. Fisherman777

Fisherman777 Well-Known

Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Not so bad. I just jerk the shirt out with my left hand, reach in and draw the gun or I can jerk the shirt out with my right hand and draw the gun if my left is busy. A lot of the time the shirt is either tucked and I wear a light jacket or the shirt is untucked and I can reach under and draw. Or you can call me RJ or you can call me JJ but you dasn't has to call me Mista Johnson. :smoker: I don't have to feel around for the grip. I can put my hand on it every time.

9. RPB

RPB Active Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Remember in the bathroom not to set it on the floor. Some doctor show on TV advised women about bacteria on their purses from doing that.

I thought about planners, until an Officer's wife got her purse snatched in the grocery store parking lot, with her gun in the purse ... and it was how women should wear it securely, but the theif cut the strap with his knife ...

Seriously, better option is, maybe not a whole lot better, but better from a retention standpoint, if you can make it work for you, is a small sized camera/calculator/cellphone/toolkit/first aid kit/extra pens/whatever case holster worn on the belt.

[​IMG]

10. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea