Join TexasGunTalk

Thread Alignment Tool for 18x1.0mm

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by motorcarman, Feb 9, 2020.

1. motorcarman

motorcarman Compulsive Collector

Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I'm looking to thread a heavy barrel PTR91. The muzzle diameter is about 17.9mm so 18mm should work.

I cannot find 18x1.0mm TAT. Does anyone have one or know a company that makes one??

I can get the die and I guess I can make one out of aluminum or brass but it would be easier to buy one if it was not $50 or more.

Liberty Suppressors has 18x1.0mm as a standard option for the Fixed Barrel Adapter.
    https://libertycans.net/product/fixed-barrel-adapter/

If none available I guess I will 'fire up' the mini lathe and get to work.

2. motorcarman

motorcarman Compulsive Collector

Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I guess no one has info so I bought a 3/4" aluminum 6061 round stock and turned a section down to 18mm and THEN stepped it to .305" to fit in the barrel rifling.

Fitted the .305" section into a stationary chuck in the lathe and the DIE in the lathe chuck jaws.

Slid the fixed chuck to the chuck jaws and turned the die/chuck by HAND (unplugged the lathe power cord) to thread the 18mm section.

TAT_18x1.0c.JPG

The one inch section of .305 fits tight in the rifle muzzle so it should keep the die aligned for threading. I had to knock it out with a long 1/4" steel rod wrapped with tape.

I'll post when I get the Liberty Mystic X to the FFL and then I'll order the 18x1.0mm adapter from liberty.

If there was a market for these I would make and sell but I seem to be the only guy that needs one.

bob

TxStetson and ZX9RCAM like this.