• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    I'm guessing you're not prior service or haven't had the pleasure of consuming an MRE. They come with a heater pack - just add a bit of water and it heats the entrée and maybe even some liquid for a hot drink.
    You would be guessing wrong but then again the ship had it's own chef. In the '60's our chef was good but the stores today are better as are the ships. Maybe my statement wasn't as clear as it should have been. What I meant was two statements. One MRE's are expensive relative to other meals and second the heat sources for other meals are expensive. So you need to see which one has the value.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    You would be guessing wrong but then again the ship had it's own chef. In the '60's our chef was good but the stores today are better as are the ships. Maybe my statement wasn't as clear as it should have been. What I meant was two statements. One MRE's are expensive relative to other meals and second the heat sources for other meals are expensive. So you need to see which one has the value.

I usually pay about 50.00 a case for new MRE's, I won't go over 60.00. After several years of collecting and rotating canned foods, I've decide MRE's, 50lb bags of rice/beans, and freeze dried food works the best for us.

Mre's are a good immediate or traveling source of fast prepared food. We have our grown food and rice and beans for intermediate and freeze dried for long term.

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    I usually pay about 50.00 a case for new MRE's, I won't go over 60.00. After several years of collecting and rotating canned foods, I've decide MRE's, 50lb bags of rice/beans, and freeze dried food works the best for us.

Mre's are a good immediate or traveling source of fast prepared food. We have our grown food and rice and beans for intermediate and freeze dried for long term.
    There's a meal + drink for about $1.25 and your MRE's are $4+. This was all I was getting at, but may be the plastic Jalapeno cheese is worth it.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm guessing you're not prior service or haven't had the pleasure of consuming an MRE. They come with a heater pack - just add a bit of water and it heats the entrée and maybe even some liquid for a hot drink.
    I missed out on those fancy ones I guess.
    In the late 80s ours didn’t have heaters or Tabasco
    I remember those stale-assed crackers and jelly packs though....
    In principle , MREs are about shoving as many calories down the pie hole of a fighting man while he is in a forward fighting position.
    They were designed with maximum calories and a balance of protien and carbs. I vaguely recall a stick of gum maybe in there.
    I hated the spaghetti, didn’t mind the beef and liked the pork patty pretty good.

Ruark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    As I understand it, there are nine specific power sources (stations, plants, whatever) that, if all 9 were taken down, a total, nationwide blackout would result. I'm sure that as you read this, there are some terrorist cells out there trying to figure out how to do exactly that.

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    I missed out on those fancy ones I guess.
    In the late 80s ours didn’t have heaters or Tabasco
    I remember those stale-assed crackers and jelly packs though....
    In principle , MREs are about shoving as many calories down the pie hole of a fighting man while he is in a forward fighting position.
    They were designed with maximum calories and a balance of protien and carbs. I vaguely recall a stick of gum maybe in there.
    I hated the spaghetti, didn’t mind the beef and liked the pork patty pretty good.
    I think I ate a military field meal one time and remember the crackers and a small pack of 4?? cigarettes.
    When I was going to Fire Control School the radar for aiming the guns was fairly new and there was six month waiting for my class to start.
    That six months was spent in the galley on the Bainbridge Naval Base. The only field ration I was exposed to was a canned pound cake. We would slice it about and inch thick, dip it in beaten eggs and serve it as French Toast. Was pretty good as they ate all we prepared every morning.
    The fancy cheese was just something I saw on another post.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Replacement for fossil fuels. That was the need for the creation of the global warming theory. It wasn't true but was to get people of fossil on to nuclear and public reaction killed it.

Then the grant money was so good they couldn't let the money dry up, so the story continued and we ended up with Gore's the earth is dying because of global warming The rest is history.
    It's been a while, but I thought there was a warning not to drink the water from the heater.

You misunderstood, I meant using the heater to warm the water - not drink the water from the heater. There usually isn't any water anyway as it combines with the other stuff in the pouch.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    As far as what to stock up on, unless you're planning on bugging out and need to carry everything, I believe it's best to just get dry goods from the grocery store. Rice, beans, canned meat, canned fruit/veggies, etc. It's the cheapest and will taste better than most any freeze dried stuff or MRE's. And obviously, you need to have a way to cook. Not to mention all of the other stuff you should prep with.

Surplus Guy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    Hood County
    I've been poor enough that the only meat for me and two children was shot. 15 years ago.

Squirrels, rabbit, deer. The rest was rice or noodles.

500 rds of 22lr will feed a family for months on end. That's if your next to a large chunk of woods. One small doe is enough meat for awhile. Longer then you'd think.
    Guess I better remove my Winchester 77 from the Classified Ads then.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom