• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I wanted to try my new rifle and went to Thunder Gun Range in Porter. I went there and the range looks very outdated and the staff is practically none and the owner was just plain weird. I had to wait 20 minutes for ceasefire so I could hang my target along with five other people. to make a long story short this is another business to avoid. I will stick with Hot wells range in 290 as the range and staff are 100% better. Who else there had a bad experience in thunder Gun Range?
    ARJ Defense ad

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    Heard thru the grapevine the owners a douchbag. I didn't make the last 3 gun match and he went ape shit over guys picking up hulls. He accused then of stealing brass

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Heard thru the grapevine the owners a douchbag. I didn't make the last 3 gun match and he went ape shit over guys picking up hulls. He accused then of stealing brass

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

That is horrible and worse then my issue.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Sounds like a no bueno place to go. Not a big fan of Hot Wells either, but all in all they're not too bad (I just have personal preference of not shooting from benches if I can help it).

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've heard mixed reviews. However, my direct experiences at Thunder Gun have been organized by the Shooter's Club that operates out of that facility in an odd sort of symbiotic relationship. Those activities, imo, are well-run and enjoyable. As a walk-in range for the public, I have no first-hand experience.

Their website provides more info.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    You can pick up yours but the owner goes around on a golf course and of he thinks your taking more than your share he kicks you out. Also i shot with a guy that tried to start hosting cowboy matches there and after the owner saw it was popular he all the sudden jacked up the range fees a lot. The club ended their matches there

Kenny D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Crosby, Texas
    I went there once with a friend and the range didn't impress me much. Especially the 50 and 100 yard berms. In the lane I got you couldn't see the bottom half of your target at 100 because of the 50 yard berm. Benches were something to be desired and in my area, I think I will just stick to driving to Carter's. Any body use the Bay Area shooting club off of Euell rd in Crosby? I live minutes from there but never had the chance to check it out. Do they allow walk ins or is it still members only?

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I wanted to try my new rifle and went to Thunder Gun Range in Porter. I went there and the range looks very outdated and the staff is practically none and the owner was just plain weird. I had to wait 20 minutes for ceasefire so I could hang my target.
    I'm geniously curious-what made you think it looks outdated? I've described ranges as trashy, too small, and even run by assholes...but in a world of ranges that are built with angle iron, steel pipe, metal roofs, and 2x4's....I can't imagine what would be considered outdated. Lol

I've never understood timed cease fires unless you're just like that one range in Houston with, like, 50 bays.

Personally, if I'm at a small range, I prefer little to no range officers. The few I've been to like that were very relaxed. I know I seem to be in the minority with that opinion, though.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Do you know the name of this range, I am interested in it, if it is close enough to me.

There is the new outdoor range on sheldon off of 90. Van Road Gun range I think it's called. You don't like High Noon?

Kenny D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Crosby, Texas
    High Noon is a very nice range, I visit there often if pistols is all I want to shoot. I am looking for an outdoor rifle range closer to me than Carter's Country that allows walk ins. Everything real close to me seems to be private.

Kenny D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Crosby, Texas
    Just checked out Van Road Gun range's facebook page. I need to go check that place out. Way closer to me than Carter's. Thanks Bones_708.

Kenny D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Crosby, Texas
    sorry I'm late, but that's the one. I have been meaning to check it out.
    I looked at their facebook page, I haven't found an actual website for them. They don't have any range rules or other info posted. Doesn't seem like they check their FB page very often because others have asked about various things (target stands, rapid fire, etc.) and they are unanswered. It isn't that far from me so I will just take a chance one day and take the drive out to see what it is all about.

Top Bottom