• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Went to try out Thunder Gun Range today in Conroe, TX. Had a pretty good time and I am thinking about joining their shooters club. Here is all the pertinent info I found out. I also sent an email to the owner Jesse, and once a few more questions are answered I will update this thread.

Thunder Gun Range

Thunder Gun Range - Conroe TX

17234 FM 1314
    Conroe, TX 77302
    (281) 572-1314

Pros: Nice facilities, friendly staff, reasonably priced, freedom to shoot rapid fire(with RO permission), cheap shooters club allows you to take advantage of shooting & moving drills, carbine courses, etc., easy to find, friendly to first time visitors.

Cons: RO's were young and a little green, there seemed to be some confusion as to whether NFA items were allowed, and a slight vibration in wooden platform (see below) where you shoot.

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

Staff:
    I'd rate the staff as very friendly. The Range Officers were very young guys and, quite honestly, didn't know a lot about guns, etc. But I feel they did a sufficient job in monitoring what was going on. All of the staff went out of their way to help me when I identified myself as a first timer at the range. They didn't seem overly obsessed with rules, choosing to answer most of my questions with "just do what is safe" and "as long as you are safe". I liked their attitude, definitely not your typical gun nazi all in your business waiting for the moment to seize in and make you feel like you violated some massive safety rule. All in all I'd give the staff an "A".

Facilities:
    They have a public and private part of the range. As I understand, you can shoot on the private part of the range and do movement drills if: a) you are a member of their club ($35 annual) and; b) you participate in club safety and training courses (which also seem very reasonably priced- the safety course is free and most of the other courses are $25). As I was shooting today for the first time and the owner was gone, I did not get to see the private area- but I could hear steel targets and rapid fire, etc so it sounded fun.

The Public Part of the range was pretty nice. The benches/shooting lanes for rifle are on an elevated wooden platforms. They have approx 20 benches that have 25/50/100 yard access. They have a 100, 200, and 300 yard only range. They also have several pistol bays that allow you to stand and shoot. Each rifle bench has a bench rest and adequate space to set up your gear. The rifle range isn't the most handicapped accessible range I've seen, but they assured me they have other spots that people in wheelchairs, etc. can shoot. My only complaint would be that it seemed their was some slight sway/vibration in the platform if someone was walking the plank behind you. They do allow rapid fire, if the RO is notified. I just let him know I planned on shooting briskly, he told me to be safe and away I went. They even have lights out on their targets, which leads me to believe they have some night shoots from time to time.

No target backstops/staplers are needed here. They just have a little chickenwire fence they've run, and you just clothespin your target to the chicken wire. It worked pretty well.

Rifle Range:
    IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Lots of parking:
    IMG_0240.jpg
    Guns International

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Now for the bragging... Took my Noveske N4 14.5" with ACOG out. Still trying to get used to where to hold the Green Chevron for a "bullseye"- definitely a learning curve. Figured out my holds at 25, 50, and 100.

Almost a full mag at 25 yards:
    IMG_0233.jpg

10 Shot group 50 yards
    IMG_0246.jpg

10 and 5 shot group at 50:
    IMG_0247.jpg

Top left was my best 10 shot group (with 1 mulligan- lol) at 100:
    IMG_0249.jpg

Rubikees

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Houston
    Yea, Jesse has been doing what he can to address the mud issues. I have heard a few complaints on the benches moving when someone walks on it. Since it was a Friday, there are some IDPA people that goes out on Friday and practice (IDPA on Wend and Thursday evening and on the second Saturday). A USPSA group has a match on the third Sunday, I think. Sometimes Steve is out there on Friday for a private class but I guess not today. Steve is the instructor and if you want info on guns, he will more than likely have the answer. Also, there is a defensive shotgun class. If you wish to see a class head over to ATSN.tv then hit the pursuit link. Hit season 2 and you will see Strong hand Weak as the second show.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Yea, Jesse has been doing what he can to address the mud issues. I have heard a few complaints on the benches moving when someone walks on it. Since it was a Friday, there are some IDPA people that goes out on Friday and practice (IDPA on Wend and Thursday evening and on the second Saturday). A USPSA group has a match on the third Sunday, I think. Sometimes Steve is out there on Friday for a private class but I guess not today. Steve is the instructor and if you want info on guns, he will more than likely have the answer. Also, there is a defensive shotgun class. If you wish to see a class head over to ATSN.tv then hit the pursuit link. Hit season 2 and you will see Strong hand Weak as the second show.

Thanks for the info. I will have to check that link out when I get some time. Be sure and join us at our next group shoot/Range Day.

Nice review Scott

Thanks Chuck. I really think you will like this place. Definitely gives us another option in our bag o tricks.

midnightyell

Makes Aggie Jokes Reality
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    Cypress
    So based on their pricing, it's like Hot Wells, where you pay per gun? So if i want to shoot handgun, then rifle, I pay $10 + $12?

Does that mean if I bring 2 handguns & 2 long guns, it's $10+$10+$12+$12? That could get expensive quick for a range day where everyone is bringing lots of show 'n' tell.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I agree. I hate places that price like this. But in all fairness, they didn't even bother to ask me what I was shooting or how many guns, etc. They just wanted to know which rifle range and how many targets.

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    Well your pictures have convinced me to never go there, thank you. Looks like there is not much option for shooting other than their bench set ups.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    You're welcome. I'm happy my review could be of service to you- one way or the other. In the public part of the range, you are correct- shoot from benches(which is pretty common amongst ranges I've visited in Houston). But for a few hours worth of safety training and $35 annual, you can do movement drills/carbine classes/etc. in the private part of the range.

Where do you normally shoot that you enjoy? I am always on the lookout for new ranges to try out.

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    I am a member of Bayou Rifles which is a private range in Crosby. Currently have 5 ranges shotgun, 50m, 200m, 400m, and 600m.

Top Bottom