• ...and so much more!
  • Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    HK you wouldn't be interested in a 05 4x4 2500 with a cummins and a 6sp with a few reliability mods? Truck has a story I'll tell ya if your interested pm me.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Can't have a 6spd the wife has to be able to drive it. My wife is a sharp lady but some how having 3 pedals is beyond her.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by alexrex20
    A heavy duty truck with a gasser is pointless. Sure a gasser may work in a 1/2ton but put it in a 8000+ truck and it just doesn't work.

My old shop truck was a dually with a 350. It worked fine for my purposes. It’s pretty flat around here and I usually only hauled one or two cars a month.
    I wouldn't have bought it normally but it practically fell in my lap.

Yeah...........
    It's a wonder we ever got grain to the elevator, cotton to the gin, cows to auction........
    I just don't know how we survived without a big belching diesel.

It's a wonder that people don't all carry .22 pistols. Yes, they will get the job done, but not nearly as efficiently as a larger caliber.

Heavy hauling with a gasser is stupid. Sure, you save a couple thousand by not getting the optional diesel, but you pay for it in the long run in fuel economy.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I had a 2002 GMC 2500HD with an 8.1L Allison CCSB 2WD. What an amazing truck. It would drag around my 10K enclosed tag car hauler like it wasn't there. I got 13mpg combined empty and 9mpg dragging that trailer.

Enter an 07 PSD CCSB 4WD. It's a dreaded 6.0L, but the head sealing issues were addressed with a top-end redesign in 06 moving towards LSD mandate in 08. While the EGR/coolant issue remains, it's a simple fix.

But ...

I get about 16mpg combined and about 10mpg dragging the same trailer. Difference is that same trailer push this truck all over the road. Anything over about 60 is a death wish. Shocks, helpers, sway control, tires, wheels ... nothing even came close to fixing the issue. My best guess is that the 4WD suspension travel and initial spring rate of the 4WD suspension is just too much for the truck to handle.

And I just spent $350 on an oil change, new air filer and new trans filter. The damn thing holds 4 gallons of oil!

Initial expense, fuel costs and maintenance costs alone can never be recouped over most individual's length of ownership. Very few of us drive a new vehicle off the lot and call a scrap yard when we're done with it.

This will be my last diesel ... of course, I said that 20 years ago while cussing a VW Rabbit diesel ... Maybe in 2032 diesels will have evolved further and I can re-eat my words.

Till then, you can't beat a GM 6.0 for most purposes.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I had an '03 Chevy 2500HD RCLB 4x4 with the 8.1/Allison, and you're right - it handled a trailer like a dream. The fuel economy was pathetic (12mpg unloaded or 8mpg with a 10klb enclosed bumper pull). Now I have a '11 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 with the Duramax/Allison and it's even better. In every scenario pulling every type of trailer in every weight at every speed, it's just better. And it gets much better fuel economy (21mpg highway if I keep it under 75 and 15mpg pulling the same 10klb enclosed trailer). It's also quicker from 50-85 pulling 5000lb of trailer, than a 5.3 1/2ton Chevy with no trailer. Doesn't get much better...

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Manual in a high power Diesel is a dream my sister drives it sometimes let off the clutch in 2nd and it will just start rolling.

Top Bottom