Join TexasGunTalk

Time to Find a New Priming System

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SQLGeek, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:04 PM.

1. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Wheel Gun Nut TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Broke the large priming punch on my Lyman press kit trying to remove it to swap out for the small priming punch. Cheap metal stuck in the primer bar and snapped off when I tried to pry it out.

This Lyman priming on press setup sucks. And the primer tube gets in the way of the turret handle. Time to ditch it.

Don't want to hand prime as I'm sure I'm working on a nice case of carpal tunnel from working on a computer all day long.

Anyone use the Lee or RCBS bench priming systems? Different end of the spectrum in price. I'm sure I'd be happier with the RCBS but really don't want to spend that kind of money...I know I know...buy once, cry once. But $100+...sigh.

Maybe I should just upgrade to a Dillon.

Got to say....reloading has not been an enjoyable pursuit thus far.

jordanmills, Rusty Gun and Axxe55 like this.
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 Professional Troublemaker, and Dog Whisperer!

Dec 15, 2019
    Deep East Texas
    Last couple of years, I have been thinking of upgrading to at least a turret style press. Currently do all of my priming on one of the single stage presses that I have. So far, it works acceptable, but isn't fast by any means. If and when I do decide to go to a turret press, I think I'll also look into a faster means of priming the cases as well.

So subbed for the discussions on this.

3. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

I have heard good things about the RCBS and plan on picking one up myself at some point. The priming system on my Hornady progressive press is finicky, so I usually prefer to prime on one of my single stages instead.

I kind of wish I had spent a little extra to get the Dillon instead, but the Hornady is a pretty decent press nonetheless.

TxStetson and Axxe55 like this.
  4. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun brass picker

Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    Sorry you are having trouble. For me reloading has become almost therapeutic and I enjoy it almost as much as shooting. I got a Dillon years ago and the priming system was a little touchy at first but once I got it dialed in I have had zero problems over about 10,000 reloads.

I Load mostly 9mm & 45 and worked out the change over from small to large pistol primers so it takes about two minutes and works flawlessly.

The only minor complaint is occasionally (2-4 per hundred) a spent primer will defy the laws of physics and somehow escape the primer catch chute and end up on the floor. Tried everything including profanity and cannot figure out why or how it does this. So I sweep the shop...

5. robertc1024

robertc1024 Moderator Staff Member Moderator TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Don't you love stepping on them with bare feet? They're like legos, for men.

TxStetson, jordanmills and Rusty Gun like this.
  6. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun brass picker

Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    I load in my garage/shop so I am seldom barefoot and I have a vacuum dust collection system so it is pretty easy to suck them up. I just am astonished how far those little suckers can travel when they hit the concrete floor. I have found them 20-25 ft away from the reloading area.

7. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

I always got the damn things stuck in the heels of my boots. They'd cut into the smooth rubber of the heel and stick there. I'd have to dig them out with a knife otherwise my boots would make a clicking noise every time I took a step.

8. jordanmills

jordanmills TGT Addict

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Even worse, stuff like that tears up my pretty pine plank floors.

Charlie and Maverick44 like this.
  9. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Wheel Gun Nut TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    My press has a tendency to throw a spent primer across the garage on occasion. It's amazing where I'll end up finding them.

I'll probably breakdown and get the RCBS but man I thought I was done spending money on equipment at least for a little while. :|

10. jordanmills

jordanmills TGT Addict

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Well that was a mistake. You're never done.