• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I've been old school on the smoker front. The New Braunfels Smoker in my back yard has been in service for 26 years. Just a regular smoker with a fire box.

I'm really conflicted on the options that are available now. Two daughters have Traeger pellet smokers, and the product that comes off of those is impressive. And I have buddies with the Kamado that do great stuff on them.

I might be moving this summer. Think I will wait till I get to my new place.

If you think good from a Traeger is impressive you should see what a quality pellet grill can put out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    10 hours 150-200 degrees. I spritz it ever hour with yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar & water. When I got an internal temp of 165 I foiled it up & had to add lump charcoal & a piece of oak. My pecan wood burned really fast this time.

Do you ever use butcher paper?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Do you ever use butcher paper?
    I have not simply because I don't have any. I can see buy off the shelf. In theory a paper grocery bag will work. I seen turkeys don in them inside an oven. I almost bought a butcher paper stand/cutter & big roll, but need to find where to keep it inside.

I just made a flour tortilla with some with Herdez Guacamole sauce, it was a nice snack to eat meds with.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    I have not simply because I don't have any. I can see buy off the shelf. In theory a paper grocery bag will work. I seen turkeys don in them inside an oven. I almost bought a butcher paper stand/cutter & big roll, but need to find where to keep it inside.

I just made a flour tortilla with some with Herdez Guacamole sauce, it was a nice snack to eat meds with.

JMO...worth the effort.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Educate me.

The Traeger was the only game in town and no doubt started the pellet grill industry. But in comparison to ones like Yoder, RecTec and Pitts & Spitts they are sub par.

They don’t hold temp as steady, they don’t get as hot for searing and they are thin and don’t hold heat and won’t last near as long as the others. Quality construction from heavy materials (Pitts & Spitts for example are basically a converted stick burner) and better PID type controllers make for more and better smoke among other things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Educate me.

When you get to Traeger’s premium line, it’s comparable to Rec Tec (now recteq). Both top out at 500*

Features are what you’re buying at that point and I’d want an easy way to empty pellets after a cook so the humidity does ruin them. I ended up going with a gravity fed smoker from Masterbuilt which runs up to 700* but most of my time is spent from 215-275*. Where the MB Gravity shines for me is the ability to smoke a ribeye up to 125*, pull it and then run the smoker up to 700*. That takes all of three minutes to do then I can sear the ribeye to finish in a minute or so. Then I just turn it off and I’m done.

Build quality on the MB is fair enough, but if you spend a lot of time at the high end of the temp range, you’re going to burn out the firebox. There’s a small aftermarket for liners and and such that really improves the product overall.

For the egg/kamado/whatever ceramic cookers, they are great for holding temp, but if you overshoot on heating it up, it’s kind of like a nuclear plant…can’t cool it down anyway other than slowly. That was the deal killer for me.

They all have benefits and drawbacks. If you like to sit out back and fiddle with the fire to keep your temp just right, none of these are for you. Me, I’ll do a rack of ribs today on our gravity series and try to remember to document it here if you like.

I’ll probably out them on about 1p and 250*, then settle in to do some reading, maybe smoke a cigar for a couple of hours. Then I’ll wrap ‘em up and settle in for another couple of hours and not have touched the firebox at all.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well shit. Errands took longer than expected so these bad boys just got out on smoker at 275*. They’ll stay there until about 5:30, then get put in a crutch and hopefully be done by 7:30 at the latest.

46159bb46ef7d52f04f28416f7a11b4f.jpg

2d268bcef8e6430a21c4badc4c07e2e2.jpg

The pan has apple juice in it since I’m running hotter than normal and want to moisten up the atmosphere some.

This is the smallest MB gravity fed and I can run a packer brisket, two racks of ribs, a pork butt and a dozen sausage links on it at a time.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Alright. Just did the crutch. Robs go face down on some butter, brown sugar, hot shit, and fruit jelly.

49792a11d27833e73e3b83013aa6136d.jpg

These are wrapped up tight and go back on for another 90 mins to 2hrs, still at 275*.

Then it’s time to make a boat.

Top Bottom