• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Purely a guess on my part, but with the younger gun owners, I think it comes down to what were the influences on them when they got interested in guns.

Growing up with my father always having guns, and being an NRA member as far back as I can remember, he always got the monthly American Rifleman magazine, so much of my influences came from there. The hand-crafted custom bolt action hunting rifles were a huge influence on many of my future gun purchases. They still have a huge place in my current collection as well.

But, I also tend to like many types of firearms and try not to limit myself to just one type either. I also own AR platform rifles and they serve a very practical purpose of me in several ways. I like the simplicity and versatility of the platform. They will never hold a place in my heart like blued steel and walnut, but they have a place and purpose for me.

So what younger gun owners gravitate towards could be many things and different influences. I suspect the same with the older gun owners could apply as well.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Many things could be possible. I have no idea what the minimum number of guns were required for a small lot run for a vendor. And years ago, those requirements may have been much smaller. In just recent past years, Remington would run special production runs for vendors like WalMart, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's Gander Mountain and others. These guns would not be available at typical gun stores or other vendors. They were exclusive to that vendor to their specifications.

Axxe55,

I was told by "my factory source" some 5 years ago that the ORIGINAL ORDER was for 300 pieces, with a "follow-up order" intended to be another 700 pieces for a total of 1,000 firearms.

Btw, speaking of orders for store-chains like WAL-MART/TARGET/ETC., both OTASCO & GIBSON'S DISCOUNT CENTERS ordered a LARGE order of Model 742/760 rifles in .270WCF & .30-06 & that were sold FAR below usual "MSRP".
    (Those "discount store specials" were REALLY "Plain Jane" & some that GIBSON'S sold had "mystery hardwood stocks", NO checkering and/or even "provision for sling swivels")

Nonetheless, MANY hunters bought them & in many cases , later refinished/customized the rifles to "please themselves".
    (Fwiw, I bought a "discount store carbine" from GLOBE DISCOUNT in Galveston County in .30-06, took it home, disassembled it completely & then I did a COMPLETE "remodeling"/decoration upon it. = My first cousin, Randy B____________, who is a TALENTED goldsmith/hand engraver, "decorated" my 118.oo OTD "Naught 6 carbine" with "TEXAS REVOLUTION" (hand-engraved) designs, that I had to pay for the engraving, would have cost BIG BUCKS.)

SADLY, that carbine "mysteriously disappeared" while my beloved Vickie Kay was at Baylor Oncology Center in Dallas, during her final illness/passing, on 04MAY84
    (I TRULY PITY the CREEP who stole it, IF I should ever catch him with it. = It will be easy to identify, as it is "one of one" & has my name & US Army Military Police "worked into the design". = The CREEP will be PERSECUTED, "absent any ruth", as he, in addition to stealing "MY CUSTOM CARBINE ", did over 900.oo in damages to my then-new F250 diesel PU.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Also remember, many years ago, Remington and others like Marlin, Mossberg, Winchester and other gun manufacturers were also making "contract guns" for Western Auto, Sears & Roebuck, Montgomery Wards and others, under their names and different model numbers.

They were essentially the same guns, and many times share the vast majority of parts, but had lesser quality stocks, less of the fancy features, and had a different name and model number.

Many years ago, I bought a Sears Ted Williams Model 100 lever action in 30-30 at Carter;s Country in Houston off the bargain rack for $55. It was cosmetically challenged to say the least. But it was the very same gun as the Winchester Model 94, and made by Winchester for Sears.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Axxe55,

CORRECT.

Fyi, COASTAL STATES TIRE & SUPPLY COMPANY, dba as "Giant Discount Centers" (out of Baton Rouge, LA) bought/sold at "below retail price" numerous "Plain Jane" Model 742 rifles in the 1970s that did not even say "REMINGTON" on the rifle; instead the company name was stamped upon the receiver.
    (I've "heard though the grapevine" that OTASCO STORES did the same thing but cannot confirm that those rifles were made/sold.)

yours, satx

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    XP-100 pistols and LP records have been mentioned. I have 6 of one and ~35K of the other.

I doubt I'll make money on either collection.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Axxe55,

CORRECT.

Fyi, COASTAL STATES TIRE & SUPPLY COMPANY, dba as "Giant Discount Centers" (out of Baton Rouge, LA) bought/sold at "below retail price" numerous "Plain Jane" Model 742 rifles in the 1970s that did not even say "REMINGTON" on the rifle; instead the company name was stamped upon the receiver.
    (I've "heard though the grapevine" that OTASCO STORES did the same thing but cannot confirm that those rifles were made/sold.)

yours, satx

Many of the big chain stores did this. Sears & Roebuck, Montgomery Wards, Western Auto, and so many others that have been lost to my memory.

There is a cross reference source, (I'll search around and see if I can locate it again later.) that showed which models were made by which manufacturer. Numrich has them if you know the store and their model number they used on some of them.

I do think Otasco was one of those as well that had contract guns made and sold through their stores as well.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    When I was a kid, I always thought the XP-100's were super cool when I read about them in my dad's gun magazines. They went out of production long before I could afford and legally own one but I still keep an eye out.
    ETA: As a kid, I had a few "heated" conversations with my dad because he thought they were ridiculous.
    XP-100 pistols and LP records have been mentioned. I have 6 of one and ~35K of the other.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Glenn B,

My GUESS is 100 or possibly LESS for the ACTUAL number of rifles/carbines in 7x57mm.
    (Cherry's Sporting Goods is long gone & there is NOBODY that I know of to ask about the REAL number.)

The Remington website also DOES NOT LIST .222 REM MAG as an available caliber in the 760 but a "boarding school chum" of mine owns/hunts with one in that caliber & has taken several Pronghorns & WT with it.
    (My GUESS is that the people at Remington also make mistakes, just as other humans do.)

I've repeatedly tried to buy it & Floyd always says the same thing: "I'll leave it to you in my will. - Nobody else wants this oddball."
    (I'm NOT holding my breath, as he'll likely outlive me.)

yours, satx

Is this the same place as Cherry's Fine Guns? If so, they are still around. I just recently bought a very nice example of an 1891 Argentine Mauser from them.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Is this the same place as Cherry's Fine Guns? If so, they are still around. I just recently bought a very nice example of an 1891 Argentine Mauser from them.

Maverick44,

Is that company a "mail order catalog" outfit out of CHICAGO, IL??
    (I believe that Cherry's went bankrupt a LONG time ago.)

yours, satx

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Maverick44,

yours, satx
    No, they're based out of Greensboro North Carolina, and it's set up much like Simpson LTD. I think they made a name for themselves back in the day dealing finely engraved S&Ws.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Maverick44,

yours, satx

SATX,

Eureka! Take a look at the About Cherry's page if you have not already done so. They were founded in Geneseo, IL only 154 miles from Chicago. They may have the info to answer your questions about that Remington 760 in 7x57mm. Heck, maybe they still have one laying around somewhere. Anyway - betting it is the same Cherry's as the one you mentioned.

Good luck,
    GB

Last edited:
    Top Bottom