• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'll keep an eye ou t for a 760 in 7x57 for you.

The pump-action rifles were enormously popular in Pennsylvania when I lived back east, where shots at running dear were common.

They were faster on follow-up shots than bolt-actions, chambered in more modern cartridges than most lever-actions (Browning BLR was one notable exception), and autoloaders were prohibited.

GeorgeS,

FYI, I started buying/"squirreling away" pump 760s when I was stationed at Ft. Indiantown Gap in 1977, though I bought my FIRST 760 in SEP 1967 at a Hot Springs AR pawnshop "in like new condition" for 60 bucks, as I just needed a "deer rifle" & the pawnbroker just wanted it GONE. = Even way back then .244 ammo was NOT easy to find.
    (FYI, after I got tired of my niece "TARA" borrowing it, I gave it to her when she went to Baylor University as a college freshman.= Today, the little rifle is valued at about 600-800.oo BUT I don't believe that Tara would part with it at ANY price. = She is DEADLY ACCURATE with the .244, out to well beyond 250M.)

yours, satx
    DK Firearms

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That caliber would be the same as 7mm Mauser would it not?

Glenn B,

YEP, same cartridge but I'm told by "a factory guy" that Cherry's ordered then to be marked: 7x57MM.
    (I have NEVER even SEEN one in that chambering, so I'm NOT sure.)

yours, satx

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    A blast from the past!

I remember the .244/6mm Remington vs. .243 Win. debate (along with the 6.5 rem. Mag. vs. .264 Win. Mag. debates).

Do you remember what the twist rates was?

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Yes, as is the .275 Rigby.
    Those guns must be rare indeed because it appears Remington - on its webpage for the 760 - did not list that caliber. I do not see it listed as 7x57mm, nor as 7mm Mauser nor 275 Rigby. I am going to keep my eyes and ears open for one of them; one never knows when one might find a gem being sold as a bauble!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Enough of this gun talk, let’s discuss Glenn’s Avatar .
    The gal in the photo highly resembled a gal with whom I used to work. At first I had thought it was her but alas - no such luck of actually ever seeing her, under my tree, in that Christmas outfit. By the way, I was a bit surprised to see some Christmas stuff in stores a week or so ago and decided what the heck - for once I'd join the early bird crowd.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    A blast from the past!

I remember the .244/6mm Remington vs. .243 Win. debate (along with the 6.5 rem. Mag. vs. .264 Win. Mag. debates).

Do you remember what the twist rates was?

GeorgeS,

YEP. That is ONE answer that I know the correct answers to: 1 in 12, 1 in 10 & (believe it or not, also) in 1 in 9 inches.

Fyi, Tara shoots (as far as I know) ONLY my homebrew 100 grain handloads with the RNJSP HORNADY bullets.
    (The RN HORNADY stabilizes FINE in the old/circa 1958 .244's 1 in 10 twist.)

FWI, My 2 "pet loads" for .244/6mm REM is 35 grains of either IMR 3031 OR 4895 for just under 2900FPS. = Tara likes the little rifle because it has LITTLE "kick" & does the job for her just FINE, thanks

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Those guns must be rare indeed because it appears Remington - on its webpage for the 760 - did not list that caliber. I do not see it listed as 7x57mm, nor as 7mm Mauser nor 275 Rigby. I am going to keep my eyes and ears open for one of them; one never knows when one might find a gem being sold as a bauble!

Glenn B,

My GUESS is 100 or possibly LESS for the ACTUAL number of rifles/carbines in 7x57mm.
    (Cherry's Sporting Goods is long gone & there is NOBODY that I know of to ask about the REAL number.)

The Remington website also DOES NOT LIST .222 REM MAG as an available caliber in the 760 but a "boarding school chum" of mine owns/hunts with one in that caliber & has taken several Pronghorns & WT with it.
    (My GUESS is that the people at Remington also make mistakes, just as other humans do.)

I've repeatedly tried to buy it & Floyd always says the same thing: "I'll leave it to you in my will. - Nobody else wants this oddball."
    (I'm NOT holding my breath, as he'll likely outlive me.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Wow!!!

Mine was also engaged in "notorious" adultery. Had a rep all around town for doing guys in the alleys behind the bars. I ignored it for years for the benefit of the kids, two of hers, one of ours, pretty much raised by me while she was at the bar or recovering from her night of "partying". Then she filed for divorce against me. Wanted 110% of my income and the brand new car I had just bought for commuting and me to continue making the payments. I finally managed to get her back down to my original offer of the house, etc, but it sure didn't cost me $60k in cash!!!

Divorce stories.... YIKES!! That diseased beotch is somehow still alive and torturing my relations with my daughter and grandkids...

bbbass,

FYI, I have NOT heard a "peep out of her" since the day that she got in her fancy/NEW Olds 98 sedan & drove back to Humble, TX.

I have many times "mentally thanked" my lawyer for putting a requirement in the divorce decree that she (nor any member of her family, whether "by blood or marriage") could ever contact me again, by any means whatever.
    (I cannot tell you how many of my friends have had an unending struggle with their EX harassing them, even years & years later.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Trouble is the young guys want tactical stuff, not fud stuff.
    Im younger and I never was a diehard tactical fan. Shooting a .50 cal machine gun for years in the USMC makes it hard for me to keep interest with ar15s. I am more interested in hunting rifles and shotguns at thisbpoint

I love my Remington Model 7. I am hoping I can get an older 700 in .308 or .300 win mag

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I would venture a guess that gun manufactured in the United States, would very unlikely be marked a 275 Rigby. Most, if not all manufactured in the USA, are more than likely, going to be roll-marked with the SAAMI designation.

Remington was known for producing small lots of rifles for vendors. Also, they would occasion make some special runs in various obscure calibers, that they didn't normally advertise in their catalogs. Also with the Model 700's, every year, they offered the Classic Model 700, which was a different caliber every year. Some were normal factory offerings, and some were those they didn't normally offer.

I would hazard another guess, some Remington firearms might increase with the demise of the Remington brand name, but the vast majority of the normal run of the mill guns made in the last ten to twenty years are not, unless they have some special collectors value when they were produced new.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I would venture a guess that gun manufactured in the United States, would very unlikely be marked a 275 Rigby. Most, if not all manufactured in the USA, are more than likely, going to be roll-marked with the SAAMI designation.

Remington was known for producing small lots of rifles for vendors. Also, they would occasion make some special runs in various obscure calibers, that they didn't normally advertise in their catalogs. Also with the Model 700's, every year, they offered the Classic Model 700, which was a different caliber every year. Some were normal factory offerings, and some were those they didn't normally offer.

I would hazard another guess, some Remington firearms might increase with the demise of the Remington brand name, but the vast majority of the normal run of the mill guns made in the last ten to twenty years are not, unless they have some special collectors value when they were produced new.

Axxe55,

I agree UNLESS Cherry's Sporting Goods INTENDED to EXPORT the rifles to a nation of The British Commonwealth. - In such a case, .275 Rigby would make at least some sense.
    (BELIZE, CANADA or SOUTH AFRICA, perhaps???)

I CANNOT find out WHO the rifles were ordered FOR (& I have spent considerable time doing that & ended up "chasing my tail"). - It is generally believed that the ORIGINAL idea was to sell the entire production to a SINGLE vendor & PROBABLY a vendor OCONUS & that when "the vendor's plans changed", that Cherry's canceled the contract & sold the rifles that they already had in stock to anyone who would buy them, including though the mail to individuals.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Remington also would do some strange things in the nature of marketing of their firearms as well. Case in point, Remington brought out the 280 Remington in the late 1950's in several various Remington rifle platforms. In some fit of marketing idea, in the late 1970's, they renamed it the 7mm-06 Remington, and that lasted about a year, and they changed the name to the 7mm Remington Express, which only lasted about another two years, in which they reverted back to 280 Remington again, because of confusion between it, and the 7mm Remington Magnum. From my understanding, there are very few rifles that have either the 7mm-06 Remington, or the 7mm Remington Express roll-marks floating around out there. I think many were remarked with 280 Remington

Even their Remington factory ammo was marked 280 Remington/7mm Remington Express on the boxes.

My belief is had Remington done a much better job in marketing the 280 Remington back in the late 1950's and early 1960's, it could have been much more popular than the iconic 270 Winchester that Jack O'Conner was always bragging about. IMO, the 280 is a much better cartridge than the 270 in terms of ballistics. Plus, for many years, 7mm bullets, if you were a reloader were more available with a greater selection to choose from than bullets in the 270 caliber. That has changed to some degree recently though.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    It's been my experience that it is much harder to get a fudd behind an AR than it is to get a millenial behind anything with blue/walnut.

I figure I'm on the younger side of the TGT spectrum and I love me some polished blue and walnut.

ETA: Maybe I should "bump" up that Rem 1100 Special I had for sale a few months ago.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    It's been my experience that it is much harder to get a fudd behind an AR than it is to get a millenial behind anything with blue/walnut.

I figure I'm on the younger side of the TGT spectrum and I love me some polished blue and walnut.

PinnedandRecessed,

As an example, MOST younger folks have NO clue as to what your screen-name refers to.

Fwiw, I will be 74YY in 9 days & I am fairly well-known on the forum as "NOT a fan of The Mattel Special" & as "our friendly neighborhood pump-rifle fanatic". - I'm PLEASED to see that we have a FEW "wood & blue fans" around who are NOT gray/bald & "overage in grade".

yours, satx

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    Trouble is the young guys want tactical stuff, not fud stuff.
    Not really, I have a few AR's and such but nothing beats high gloss walnut and polished blue. I like the composite stock cericote stuff for dragging through the woods where the pretty stuff is for the box stand condo. My scatter gun to other long gun ratio is probably way for most of y'all.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    PinnedandRecessed,

As an example, MOST younger folks have NO clue as to what your screen-name refers to.

Fwiw, I will be 74YY in 9 days & I am fairly well-known on the forum as "NOT a fan of The Mattel Special" & as "our friendly neighborhood pump-rifle fanatic". - I'm PLEASED to see that we have a FEW "wood & blue fans" around who are NOT gray/bald & "overage in grade".

yours, satx
    It's the same way with cars and everything else. What's new is all the rage but I would venture to say that the younger gun audience knows a bit more about the older stuff than previous generations due to video games and movies.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Not really, I have a few AR's and such but nothing beats high gloss walnut and polished blue. I like the composite stock cericote stuff for dragging through the woods where the pretty stuff is for the box stand condo. My scatter gun to other long gun ratio is probably way for most of y'all.

BMF500,

PERSONALLY, for police/tactical use, make mine MANGANESE "Parkerizing" & over-coated with flat-black or "desert sand" AUTO EXHAUST PAINT, with the firearm's furniture synthetic.
    (That combination, once cured fully, will stand up to long-term IMMERSION in saltwater and/or "bathing in" MOST chemicals.)

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Axxe55,

I agree UNLESS Cherry's Sporting Goods INTENDED to EXPORT the rifles to a nation of The British Commonwealth. - In such a case, .275 Rigby would make at least some sense.
    (BELIZE, CANADA or SOUTH AFRICA, perhaps???)

I CANNOT find out WHO the rifles were ordered FOR (& I have spent considerable time doing that & ended up "chasing my tail"). - It is generally believed that the ORIGINAL idea was to sell the entire production to a SINGLE vendor & PROBABLY a vendor OCONUS & that when "the vendor's plans changed", that Cherry's canceled the contract & sold the rifles that they already had in stock to anyone who would buy them, including though the mail to individuals.

yours, satx

Many things could be possible. I have no idea what the minimum number of guns were required for a small lot run for a vendor. And years ago, those requirements may have been much smaller. In just recent past years, Remington would run special production runs for vendors like WalMart, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's Gander Mountain and others. These guns would not be available at typical gun stores or other vendors. They were exclusive to that vendor to their specifications.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom