Guns International

Tinnitus . . . how are you dealing with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Folks that don't have it are, I have found, not nearly as thankfull as they should be.
    I definitely appreciate not having bad tinnitus. I carry foam plugs around with me everywhere. Noise that can damage your hearing is all around us.

I had no idea so many people had this issue.
    I think everyone has it to a certain degree. I have a slight ringing in the ears when it's really quiet, but it's not like what most people in the thread are describing.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Anyone try the hack I posted to help?
    Yep. No change. Tried the other link with the tones, no change there either. Then again, mine would be considered slight from what I gather. It's an ever persistent tone, but the perceived volume compared to outside sounds isn't bad enough to affect what I hear.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Mine is rather loud today.
    More than usual. Allergies are bad too.
    Could be related.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I am watching tv, still hear it. Tones don't help. I can't hear most of them anyway.

Except that high pitched one that is always there.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    I've had some form of tinnitus for the past... oh, decade or so if I had to guess, not sure what caused it initially. Sad thing is I'm only 23 and apparently have the ears of someone twice my age. The ringing comes and goes mercifully infrequently, haven't heard it in over two weeks now. Mine mostly shows up when there's no/minimal background noise - TV, radio, traffic (I live right off a state highway), even my laptops fans are enough to keep it from popping up most of the time.

Edit: FWIW, I always have either noise-cancelling headphones, earmuffs, or a set of earplugs on me for if things get too loud. Plugs are in a case on my keychain, pair of Mack's brand from the pharmacy (sold as "snore blockers", got a laugh out of that), think NRR 32. Also, I've noticed that my Skullcandy headphones (Hesh 2.0 wireless) are good enough at blocking ambient noise that my tinnitus pops up occasionally - hence why I always have my laptop's "cooler boost" (two 4" fans at ~6,000 RPM) running, it provides just enough noise to keep the ringing at bay.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I believe I just recalled the beginning of my T issue. In '81 or '82 I rode a Suzuki GS1100EZ from Boulder to some podunk town in the SE of Kansas to see a HS buddy at college, then on to Houston after a day or 2 stay. I remember getting a hotel, alone, and it taking hours to recoup from the noise and horrific (@ 50mph) crosswind while traversing KS.

Kerker 4-1 header, likely with toasted baffling since I had never ridden long distance before that trip and thought it was *cool* running around Houston.

Any other riders think exhaust note has been a contributing factor?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Ahhhh,,, yeah. I had a bored out Triumph 750 twin with staight pipes. Even inside, my parents knew I was coming home 2 blocks away.
    Rode it all over Texas. About 6 months in Houston the summer of '80.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I believe I just recalled the beginning of my T issue. In '81 or '82 I rode a Suzuki GS1100EZ from Boulder to some podunk town in the SE of Kansas to see a HS buddy at college, then on to Houston after a day or 2 stay. I remember getting a hotel, alone, and it taking hours to recoup from the noise and horrific (@ 50mph) crosswind while traversing KS.

Kerker 4-1 header, likely with toasted baffling since I had never ridden long distance before that trip and thought it was *cool* running around Houston.

Any other riders think exhaust note has been a contributing factor?

Well do tell!
    I had a 1980 GS1000L with the same exhaust I used to take the baffle out of occasionally.
    Majority of the time it was without a helmet
    Of course I was never doing 50, lol....

ETA: and many more bikes after.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I always wear plugs when riding, even with a full-face helmet. I just remember the chart the instructor showed the MSF class, 115 decibels at 70 mph. I had tinnitus before I got my full motorcycle license, so I always take the precaution.

OldGringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    S.W. Houston Area
    Guess I'm one of the fortunate? Riding motorcycles in excess of 50 years, along with a 43 year career in petroleum-chem refineries and I've never been diagnosed with Tinnitus. Prior to starting the platinum based chemo in late 2014 the oncologist require a hearing test which revealed nothing unusual for an old fat boy my age.

wbstx11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Some medications can make it worse. For me antibiotics and NASIDs (aspirin, etc.) cause a noticeable increase in the noise level. I've had this since Viet Nam, where I was in close proximity to a 500 lb bomb blast and lots of artillery. The good news: I have a built in blood pressure indicator, the higher the BP the louder the ringing.

Buffalo Bob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Ellis County
    Mine started in January last year while helping set up for the United Way benefit at Jerryworld. They were testing the sound system at max level and the ringing hasn't stopped since. I've already forgotten what complete silence sounds like.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Sometimes when I have read stories about people that just one day went nuts back in earlier days that Tinnitus might have been a contributing factor?

Dwell on it, and it'll drive you crazy...
    I don't know about it driving you crazy but it has driven some people to suicide. I've had tinnitus for ~35 years and there have been times when it was so bad for so long my thoughts drifted in that direction. Not very far in that direction, mind you, but I can understand how tinnitus contributes to, though is rarely the sole reason for, suicide.

Abstract from a study on the subject:

Suicides among tinnitus sufferers are rare. Indeed, on examining the public record (newspapers and the Web), the authors identified only 4 cases in the past 10 years that had been examined by a coroner. Nevertheless, the deaths of Rick Tharp, Dietrich Hectors, William Morris, and Robert McIndoe prompt reconsideration of the association between tinnitus and suicide that appears to be weak. The article also draws attention to a subject that is receiving attention in the medical literature--namely, the role of "precipitants" (in this case, tinnitus) in completed suicide and the need to screen some cases of severe, disabling tinnitus for the presence or absence of coinciding psychopathology, which is very amenable to treatment.

A decent, broad-perspective article for those new to the subject: http://www.healthyhearing.com/report/52313-Tinnitus-and-suicide-why-it-s-happening-how-to-stop-it

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don't know about it driving you crazy but it has driven some people to suicide. I've had tinnitus for ~35 years and there have been times when it was so bad for so long my thoughts drifted in that direction. Not very far in that direction, mind you, but I can understand how tinnitus contributes to, though is rarely the sole reason for, suicide.

Abstract from a study on the subject:

A decent, broad-perspective article for those new to the subject: http://www.healthyhearing.com/report/52313-Tinnitus-and-suicide-why-it-s-happening-how-to-stop-it

May be a stupid question, but, how can a coroner determine an individual had Tinnitus?

Or did I read it wrong?

Top Bottom