tipping at the range

Discussion in 'Training & Competition' started by DCortez, Apr 2, 2009.

1. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    How much should you tip at the range?

Pistol?
    Skeet?

I haven't tipped on the pistol or rifle range at Hot Wells, was I supposed to?. I'd like to take the family down for some skeet.

2. baboon

baboon Well-Known

Nothing I hate more then an industry that does not pay their help, so you can subsidize them.

3. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    It didn't occur to me until I heard someone saying, "We pay $4.50 an hour plus tips. Some guys make $60-$70 a day pulling skeet". Feel kinda bad now, I've been to Hot Wells a lot in the past 3 months.

4. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I may be embarrassing myself here, but I have never even thought about tipping at any shooting range. Is tipping common?

I will say that if tipping is indeed a common/expected thing, I still wouldn't tip a red cent at Crap Wells.

5. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Did I stumble upon the "Texas Dining Guide" instead of TGT?

"Tipping at the range?"

Only being paid $4.50 / hour?

I believe either

someone should be reported to the State for payroll violations

or

your other leg is being pulled and those who are "working for tips" are making bank on top of their Federal minimum wage.

6. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I'm not sure about the leg pulling. I didn't really want to say who said it, but, the key is WE pay, not we GET paid.

But yea, pay your people. If times are tough, get your fat rump out there and work the business yourself. From what I can tell, the gun business isn't exactly hurting at the moment.

7. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Well, it didn't seem to bother you when you hijacked the gun show thread to talk about eating dogmeat tacos. :headscratch: :rofl:

8. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    I usually tip on five stand.

9. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    My idea of tipping at the range was leaving my spent brass for them. . . . . . ..

Never really thougt about it before. No signs and never saw anyone do it. At least at the range I've been going to.

10. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I worked at our local Feild & Stream trap/skeet range in jh and into college off and on. I got paid $5.00 flat no tax's cash at the end of the day which paid for my first truck. The closest I ever got to a tip was getting to shot some awesome guns (Perazzi , Bob Schultz custom , BT 99/100).