• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    If you get a progressive, make sure you get one with changeable toolheads. I keep a different toolhead set up with powder measure for each caliber I load on my 650, and it makes caliber changes a breeze. No having to adjust powder, seating, or crimp. I load a single round first each session to double check that everything is still set as it should be, then start cranking out rounds. I will usually pull one round every few minutes to double check powder charge and cartridge length.

When adjusting an automatic powder dispenser, instead of measuring one throw, once you get close, measure out 10 throws and weight it, then divide by 10. This will end up being far more accurate than measuring a single throw. You might get 17.9 for each throw. But with 10 charges you may end up with 179.9. In which case you almost have 18 grains.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    If you get a progressive, make sure you get one with changeable toolheads. I keep a different toolhead set up with powder measure for each caliber I load on my 650, and it makes caliber changes a breeze.

I've been asking the question of a 550 machine with 650 capabilities.

I've forgotten about your suggestion of separate tool heads for each die size. As it is the caliber change in this machine that seems to add complication and time. Perhaps that is the answer I've been looking for.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I figured this thread could use a bump.

I have a new trick to add also. I broke the primer knock out pin on my Hornady sizing die today and don't have a spare. I used a 15 gauge trim (made for a nail gun) nail to replace it. I had to add a little piece on top of the nail before putting it back together so the pin was tight. It seems to work well though.

I believe this trick will work on other brands too.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I figured this thread could use a bump.

I have a new trick to add also. I broke the primer knock out pin on my Hornady sizing die today and don't have a spare. I used a 15 gauge trim (made for a nail gun) nail to replace it. I had to add a little piece on top of the nail before putting it back together so the pin was tight. It seems to work well though.

I believe this trick will work on other brands too.

Won't work for any brands that have the neck expander and depriming rod all in one deal (like Lee). Still nifty trick for those that do work that way.

So nifty to see this thread necrod though. I posted in this right when I was starting my adventures in reloading almost 2 years ago.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Won't work for any brands that have the neck expander and depriming rod all in one deal (like Lee). Still nifty trick for those that do work that way.

So nifty to see this thread necrod though. I posted in this right when I was starting my adventures in reloading almost 2 years ago.
    I have replaced a Lee decapping pin with a piece of nail though. It isn't as easy as you have to pinch the expander to hold it in. I want to say it was the same size nail.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you want to deprime a bunch of brass whilst sat on the couch: Home Page
    Not a tool I would ever use. Not a bad idea though.

Their pictures of the deprimed cases are a little dramatic too. Very seldom do you see a case with that dirty of a primer pocket like the one on the left. The case on the right has swirl marks like it was hit with a brush or cutter. Advertising at it's best I guess.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I knock out the primers with a Lee tool. A small towel, small piece of 2x6 and a small mallet. Sit in the recliner and watch tv while I knock out several hundred.

hink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Amarillo
    Reload long enough, you will stick a case in a die. Before this happens, get yourself familiarized with a case extractor.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Was trimming brass earlier this week and it seemed to be taking forever. I finally reached the point on my Lyman trimmer that the head was no longer sharp enough to do the job. I tried and tried to sharpen it, but the results were not much improved. Got online and looked for replacement cutter heads and discovered that they make one in carbide! It just came in today and let me tell you it was worth every penny! That should be the standard cutter head, not an option.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have one of those hammer type bullet pullers and hate it. I do most of my bullet pulling with the press and a pair of pliers laid sideways across the top of the press. This keeps from damaging the threads on the press. It does mark up the bullets but so does the rifling on my gun.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    I got a bench trick, kinda related to shooting more than reloading tho, and that is when you want to change a rear site on your favorite pistol, instead of filing the site put it in the freezer for a couple hours, heat expands metal and cold contracts it
    Just enough to make that site tap right in.
    Best/picker

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom