• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reelthrill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Round Rock
    Oh, what the hell, everyone is throwing out their opinions errr I mean suggestions. And all of you know what they say about suggestions and a$$holes...we all have one.

I have had success by using a hog trap. Set it where you are hunting, and pin the doors up. Bait it with lots of food on a regular basis. Put whatever you like from the recommendations prior. I use Squeal Appeal from Oasis in Uvalde and Strawberry Jello (not the Sugar Free Jello either the pigs aren't on a diet). Let the pigs get used to going in and out of the trap. When you are ready to hunt, bait it again, take the pin or whatever you are using to hold the door open out and let the trap door work the way it is intended. Go back to your hotel or house, enjoy a book, read the web, get a good night sleep. Go out the next morning, all bundled up and warm, and shoot every pig in your trap. DO NOT let any of them live as they will affect your future hunting trips. If you are done, make sure to pin those doors open when you leave so nothing gets in there and suffers a slow death.

My game cameras show the pigs showing up under my feeders at night. I am not going out at 10:30 p.m. or 11:00 p.m. to hopefully have a shot at a pig. Trap them, shoot them, take the hams off the ones you want, and drag the carcasses away for the coyotes and other stuff out there.

Now I realize that some people may not call that hunting, and may instead call that trapping. I also realize that isn't what you may want to do. But it works and it's how I do it.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Put a fence around the feeder and try and keep them away from it.

Trying to keep them out seems to be the best way to get them in.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have tried a good assortment of "off the shelf" stuff marketed for deer. It all seems to get their interest well-enough.
    I have had most of my hog hunting success sitting in a blind from around 4:30 till' darkness comes. Always 40 yards or farther away.
    If you are looking to lure them in while you are around, you'll probably need a hog call of some kind.
    Night hunts with lights are great if you get the opportunity.
    I'm going to have to try some of these homemade attractants soon. I bet they all work well.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Oh, what the hell, everyone is throwing out their opinions errr I mean suggestions. And all of you know what they say about suggestions and a$$holes...we all have one.

I have had success by using a hog trap. Set it where you are hunting, and pin the doors up. Bait it with lots of food on a regular basis. Put whatever you like from the recommendations prior. I use Squeal Appeal from Oasis in Uvalde and Strawberry Jello (not the Sugar Free Jello either the pigs aren't on a diet). Let the pigs get used to going in and out of the trap. When you are ready to hunt, bait it again, take the pin or whatever you are using to hold the door open out and let the trap door work the way it is intended. Go back to your hotel or house, enjoy a book, read the web, get a good night sleep. Go out the next morning, all bundled up and warm, and shoot every pig in your trap. DO NOT let any of them live as they will affect your future hunting trips. If you are done, make sure to pin those doors open when you leave so nothing gets in there and suffers a slow death.

My game cameras show the pigs showing up under my feeders at night. I am not going out at 10:30 p.m. or 11:00 p.m. to hopefully have a shot at a pig. Trap them, shoot them, take the hams off the ones you want, and drag the carcasses away for the coyotes and other stuff out there.

Now I realize that some people may not call that hunting, and may instead call that trapping. I also realize that isn't what you may want to do. But it works and it's how I do it.

I walked upon a farmers hog ambush while hiking in some woods near bastrop. It was between the woods and his field. Basically had a U shape feeding area with a chute leading into it and the stand up above looking down on the shooting gallery.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Pigs like things that have fermented a bit. Get a bucket with a lid, fill 3/4 with corn, add beer and milk and leave it sit a couple of days. I should add "outside", as it will smell. Friend of mine bow hunting nearly got run over by hogs coming to a couple of buckets of that stuff he spread around.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Move back farther( as has been noted) if they are coming in to your corn when you are not there , then you do not need to add anything. They are smelling you in your popup, and no amount of anything else added to the corn is going to get them close enough for you to spit on them.

I have killed a lot of pigs(1,000s) and I have found the best attractant to be plain old corn.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Move back farther( as has been noted) if they are coming in to your corn when you are not there , then you do not need to add anything. They are smelling you in your popup, and no amount of anything else added to the corn is going to get them close enough for you to spit on them.

I have killed a lot of pigs(1,000s) and I have found the best attractant to be plain old corn.

Soooo...we are going hunting when??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Soooo...we are going hunting when??

I don't hunt pigs. I go for eradication. It is messy, brutal, and very very ugly sometimes. I could care less about the meat 9 out of 10 times as when you are shooting for extinction, you are shooting to get lead in pigs. If I could drive them off of a cliff in droves, I would.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I don't hunt pigs. I go for eradication. It is messy, brutal, and very very ugly sometimes. I could care less about the meat 9 out of 10 times as when you are shooting for extinction, you are shooting to get lead in pigs. If I could drive them off of a cliff in droves, I would.

Okay.. I stand by my question

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

Cracks me up when people complain about "wasting meat" when you kill a pig and don't process it for human consumption. Wild pigs are not game animals, they are not a natural resource; they are pests no different than cockroaches, mice, or rats eating food out of the pantry in your home.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Okay.. I stand by my question

Took me years to develop the relationships and trust with landowners to get invited out to do what I do. Took years of developing the skills it takes to hit multiple moving targets running in different directions. I do not have the ability to just "invite" folks out to shoot pigs. I spend 20-30+ days a year doing brush management and other assorted work on the property I do most of my hunting on for the privilege to be able to go there.

If we were to meet, and we have compatible personalities, and you show that you could shoot( think ten clay pigeons set on a berm at 100 yards is 10 seconds) it could get you invited to cut and spray mesquite,Christmas Cactus, cedar and a lot of other nasty hot work (if the owner needs an extra set of hands) followed by some night vision hog killing and some cold beer. If the property owner likes you, you will get invited back for deer season.

I wish it was as easy as saying" meet me here @ xxx o'clock , but it is not.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Also, I am using M855 rounds, if there is a better type of round for me to use, please tell me about that too.

Just for amusement, I tried some of my preferred home defense 5.56 ammo, Hornady's 62 gr. TAP® Barrier™, on a couple hogs. Head shots at 75 yards were absolutely devastating. I was surprised, and pleased, with the damage that ammo inflicted.

Top Bottom