• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yimpyomp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    For a couple months now, I've been going out to some property around rock Island, and have not seen a single pig. I've got a feeder setup that dispenses corn once ten minutes after sunrise, and twice 10 minutes before sunset. I know there are pigs out there, I've seen them on a game camera I've got setup, and they once dug up a pretty big hole trying to get some corn that fell down there. So does anyone have tips on how to attract some while I'm there? I usually setup in a popup blind about 30 feet from the feeder, either 30 minutes before sunrise, or an hour before sunset. Are there any good attractants i can use to get them to come while I'm there? Should I use some type of scent removal stuff? Any tips are greatly appreciated. Also, I am using M855 rounds, if there is a better type of round for me to use, please tell me about that too.
    Lynx Defense

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I hear Burger King gift cards are the hot item, lately.

Really though, there are a million things to try, but they will likely not all work on your pigs. Google hog attractants and you'll be busy for hours.

Since you never know what's going to work, I like to start cheapest and work up. No sense wasting money.

1. Soured corn: take a bag of corn and dump it in a 5 gallon bucket, leaving room at the top. Fill with water and seal. Leave in the sun for a couple days. It'll have a nice, potent smell.

2. Diesel corn: buy a gallon of diesel. Mix w/ corn in 5 gallon bucket and spread.

3. Kool aid. Either mix with only water or water and corn (better)

4. After this I usually start buying pre-made attractants at the store.

Another thing I did not mention might really help you, since you say the hogs are present but just not when you're watching. Build a hog pipe. Google for instructions, but it's basically a PVC pipe with holes drilled in for corn dispensing. You chain it to a post and the hogs roll it around. Be sure to fill with a few rocks as well. Make them bigger than the holes and they'll never come out, while the hogs think they're corn.

Hope this is a good start.

Jump over into the Welcome thread and introduce yourself.

Dinga67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Porter
    I hear Burger King gift cards are the hot item, lately.

Really though, there are a million things to try, but they will likely not all work on your pigs. Google hog attractants and you'll be busy for hours.

Since you never know what's going to work, I like to start cheapest and work up. No sense wasting money.

1. Soured corn: take a bag of corn and dump it in a 5 gallon bucket, leaving room at the top. Fill with water and seal. Leave in the sun for a couple days. It'll have a nice, potent smell.

2. Diesel corn: buy a gallon of diesel. Mix w/ corn in 5 gallon bucket and spread.

3. Kool aid. Either mix with only water or water and corn (better)

4. After this I usually start buying pre-made attractants at the store.

Another thing I did not mention might really help you, since you say the hogs are present but just not when you're watching. Build a hog pipe. Google for instructions, but it's basically a PVC pipe with holes drilled in for corn dispensing. You chain it to a post and the hogs roll it around. Be sure to fill with a few rocks as well. Make them bigger than the holes and they'll never come out, while the hogs think they're corn.

Hope this is a good start.

Jump over into the Welcome thread and introduce yourself.

These are all good tips and do work. As stated above there are tons of options for brining in the Hogs. Hogs will eat just about anything from roadkill to vanilla wafers. However one thing I have noticed everytime I set up a feeder and game camera. Raccoons find the food first then the Hogs show up. Using Raccoon pee to lure Hogs in works I assume they follow the Raccoons to food sources. Another clue was the only animal I have ever seen on a feeder with the Hogs was Raccoons. Ive also had good luck with dried apples.
    Good luck

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Don't forget hogs have an excellent sense of smell so they may be smelling you and staying away.

That's what I'm thinking. 30 feet is too close. I would move the blind out to at least 25-30 yards downwind. Still an easy shot with 5.56.

As for the 855..it would probably work, but I would look for some type of round that expands, but still with good penetration. I think Winchester makes .223 Silvertips.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Agreed that the pop-up is way too close. I know from personal experience that even at 75 yards, pigs have seen my pop-up blind and won't come out of the brush. If you can't set up a permanent blind (that they will get used to), natural cover may be a better option.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    There is some good advise here.

30 feet from the feeder? Way way too close!

If you can leave your pop up set up on a more permanent basis if you can't build something permanent. Even setting it up for a week may help let the game get used to it being there.

Hogs do have a good sense of smell but they may not care at times if food is scarce. I would say stay atleast 50 yards away at the minimum.

yimpyomp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    I've left the blind out there for a few months now, so I think the animals are used to it by now. Unfortunately, I can't get any further than about thirty feet because the feeder is setup in a clearing, and thirty feet is the max distance I can be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I've left the blind out there for a few months now, so I think the animals are used to it by now. Unfortunately, I can't get any further than about thirty feet because the feeder is setup in a clearing, and thirty feet is the max distance I can be.

Sure you can. Where there's a will, there's a way. Just put the blind in the brush and clear yourself a shooting lane.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    If you see pigs on a camera while you are not there and while there you see nothing, I believe you've answered your own question.
    10 yds is WAY too close. 50 yds at a minimum and over 75 is best.

Pigs are dog smart. Their eyesight isn't the best, but smell and hear very well.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I usually setup in a popup blind about 30 feet from the feeder,

30 feet?

What are you going to do, jump out and knife them to death?

Jeez back up to 50 yards or so. They can smell you around the feeder no problem, and if they get close, they will see the pop-up blind that was not there the night before.

ETA - well it looks like I was not the first to see distance as the problem. :-)

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    If your going to eat the pigs i would avoid the diesel...but it does work.

I had one pick me out from a distance, where i had to glass him just to make sure it wasn't a dog.. Go figure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Top Bottom