• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Tire pressures also are dependent upon type of tire, and it's construction.

A lot of the LT tires, made for 3/4 and 1 ton and up trucks, typically run tire pressures from about 65 psi and up. Putting that tire on a half ton truck is going to result in a very rough ride.
    ARJ Defense ad

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Your traction and handling will always benefit from a lower tire pressure. For most vehicles that's 32-40 psi. Only heavily loaded vehicles with e rated tires require over 50 psi. Also as mentioned, cupping is a product of balance and dampening. If you're front tires are cupping worse then rotating to your rear axle will square them up a bit.

It's also beneficial to install an appropriate shock for your use. Putting heavy duty shocks on a usually unloaded truck is just going to ride like crap. If you're rolling around with a full tool box or fuel dispenser in the bed then get some billsteins or ranchos.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Don't blame the tires, get better shocks. Listings on tires are max only on psi and weight. Look at it as reloading between a win mod 70 and a rem700 in 308win. each 1 will have or like different powder, charge weight and bullet weight and manufacturer for best accuracy.. Just tune the tires for your vehicle and/or get different brand/tread type.

A lot of the LT tires, made for 3/4 and 1 ton and up trucks, typically run tire pressures from about 65 psi and up. Putting that tire on a half ton truck is going to result in a very rough ride.

100%
    As mentioned, on my half-ton truck, 35 psi in my E-rated (80 psi max) tires still gives me over 900 lbs over my rated capacity per axle.

I always run Gucci shocks, and my trucks ride like Caddy’s

Heck my 3/4 ton Ram CTD rode nearly as well as my half-ton. But it wasn’t cheap to get there LOL

I had to play with tire psi in that truck, because it got a variety of uses. Max psi towing 18k lbs, 15 psi for dirt and sand, 35-40 empty on pavement.

Here’s a good vid my buddies put together discussing tire psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Not just number of plies, but type of and diameter of the cord. Sidewall and tread amount also.
    Correct. There are a lot of factors of tire construction that determine tire pressures. Also intended usage of the tire matters as well.

Most tires for most vehicles are a compromise to serve many functions and desired ride aspects. Tires can also be suited to specific requirements and needs of the vehicle as well.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Check load index if you want the same brand/style tires and get D2 it has a lower max pressure of 50 instead of 65 on D1 both are 6 ply. C1 has max psi @ 50 and C2 at 35 and are 4 ply. Check with the tire company and check availability. Check load index between 100 to 120. That is what max tire support/carry/load weight is rated. Example 235/75 16 115H. 115 is the load rating and H is speed rating. If it has a R after the aspect ratio (75) it's a radial. Maybe this can answer your tire question an what you have on the p/u right now?

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas

On ford and dodge for sure with their suspension!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Check load index if you want the same brand/style tires and get D2 it has a lower max pressure of 50 instead of 65 on D1 both are 6 ply. C1 has max psi @ 50 and C2 at 35 and are 4 ply. Check with the tire company and check availability. Check load index between 100 to 120. That is what max tire support/carry/load weight is rated. Example 235/75 16 115H. 115 is the load rating and H is speed rating. If it has a R after the aspect ratio (75) it's a radial. Maybe this can answer your tire question an what you have on the p/u right now?
    I also think a person should choose a tire suited to the vehicle and the usage of that vehicle. Taking into consideration what is the best tire for that primary usage. I think many people simply choose a tire based upon size that fits and price.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Rim width is important! The tread and the rim should be about the same width, but the tread should never be wider than the rim. For the SAME tire, a narrower rim means less air to have a full contact patch. A wider rim needs more air pressure to get a full contact patch.
    With the narrow rim the ride is soft and sloppy and the tread rolls over instead of biting the corner.
    Wider rims give a firmer ride, and the treads bites in on corners, tires last longer due to less scrub, and you get better mileage.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Rim width is important! The tread and the rim should be about the same width, but the tread should never be wider than the rim. For the SAME tire, a narrower rim means less air to have a full contact patch. A wider rim needs more air pressure to get a full contact patch.
    With the narrow rim the ride is soft and sloppy and the tread rolls over instead of biting the corner.
    Wider rims give a firmer ride, and the treads bites in on corners, tires last longer due to less scrub, and you get better mileage.
    Absolutely. The tire placard that is usually inside the front door jamb area, also states the OEM rim size for reference along with the appropriate tires for that rim.

Now many people will disregard that, and put the wrong size tires on rims, but many times I think it more about appearance, rather than function.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    That’s not disagreeing it’s just people not reading and screwing stuff up.
    When the tires that are factory installed are D! and the door jam has suggested pressure of 35 I call bull shit! A 6 ply tire with 65psi max doesn't really fit a 1/2ton, but make it a selling/marketing point! Tire replacement will be on you and hopefully you get tires better suited for your vehicle? Getting a D2 (still a 6ply) and with a lower max pressure @ 50 you can run 35-40psi with good wear and ride. If you can get a C2 (4ply @ 35psi) it would be better on 1/2ton as far as ride goes. Knowing where the plies are located (sidewall vs tread) and having more on the tread than sidewall makes for a better ride, but stability is sacrificed some.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    When the tires that are factory installed are D! and the door jam has suggested pressure of 35 I call bull shit! A 6 ply tire with 65psi max doesn't really fit a 1/2ton, but make it a selling/marketing point! Tire replacement will be on you and hopefully you get tires better suited for your vehicle? Getting a D2 (still a 6ply) and with a lower max pressure @ 50 you can run 35-40psi with good wear and ride. If you can get a C2 (4ply @ 35psi) it would be better on 1/2ton as far as ride goes. Knowing where the plies are located (sidewall vs tread) and having more on the tread than sidewall makes for a better ride, but stability is sacrificed some.
    I know not of these wussy ply tires.

Top Bottom