• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I don't want to start a discussion about religion or what church/denominaiton is best etc......to each his/her own beliefs. But, I would like to know if anyone's pastor (besides mine) is stuck on doom & gloom. Every Sunday it's the same thing.....30-40 minutes on government bashing, talking about how bad our economy is, how we should all get out of debt, store up a year supply of food & water. Buy gold and silver because our dollar is going to be worthless and then one Sunday even started talking about concentration camps here in Texas and other states that the government has set up. Then he complete his message with some scripture from the bible. My wife and I get up in a good mood, go to church and then come out all down and mad.

I know this world's in a mess but I don't go to church to hear all the internet gossip. Too many contradictions.......why pay off bills if money is not going to be any good.......or the world is going to collaspe. Why not buy all the toys you have ever wanted now and enjoy them? Why store food and water? If the world's coming to an end or we're all going to concentration camps.....we won't need food or water.

Just wondering what you are hearing out there!

Oh and just a note on concentration camps........Will die in my front yard and take a bunch with me if anyone comes for me or my family.

Okie556
    Guns International

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Have you talked to your pastor about it? I certainly would.

Yes.........I talked to him as did several others but it did no good. This man has been a preacher and ex-school teacher for over 50 years and I love to hear him preach and teach out of the bible. He just got his first computer about a year ago and started surfing the web and it has chnaged his whole approach to preaching. This is a non-denominational church which no board, no deacons........no one getting paid.......including pastor so he just says what he wants. He makes it well known.....if you don't like what he is preaching.....leave! That's what my wife and I had to do and it's such a shame. We loved everyone at the church, including the pastor, but just can't keep going back week after week and feel beat down when you leave.

Okie556

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A co-worker at my previous job told me something that I think is good for everyone to remember at one time or another. Throughout the history of the world, no matter what point in time a person may have lived, there is always a lot of negative and unpleasant things out there in the world. If you look for it and focus on it, there is a lot of unpleasant stuff out there that will really bring your emotions down. The trick is realizing this stuff is out there, but not letting it get to you and not focusing all of your energy on it. No matter how hard you look, there will always be (for most of our lifetimes probably) bad stuff out there. Just don't let it run your life.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Sounds like you did the right thing in leaving. I'm a Pastor, and I don't see the world that way. When in doubt, read the back of the Book. We win...

A co-worker at my previous job told me something that I think is good for everyone to remember at one time or another. Throughout the history of the world, no matter what point in time a person may have lived, there is always a lot of negative and unpleasant things out there in the world. If you look for it and focus on it, there is a lot of unpleasant stuff out there that will really bring your emotions down. The trick is realizing this stuff is out there, but not letting it get to you and not focusing all of your energy on it. No matter how hard you look, there will always be (for most of our lifetimes probably) bad stuff out there. Just don't let it run your life.

Thanks guys..........it's funny how great minds think alike. We had the same though about "WE WIN" and how we know things are bad but rather than dwell on the bad........we going to pray for something good to happen.

Jemplayer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Well if you like the people there and the atmosphere and there are enough of you, why don't you ask the preacher to leave and find another one to replace him?

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Well if you like the people there and the atmosphere and there are enough of you, why don't you ask the preacher to leave and find another one to replace him?

Not sure if that is possible. Church was built, bought & paid for with donations and is free and clear. Plus.........we (they) have over $400,000.00 in the bank and Edward Jones. We have been there a little over 2-years and have never found out who control church account. I thin it is solely the pastor since we have no board or official members. Just going to look for another church but keep in touch with all our friends. If something changes or if the pastor would go back to good old preaching straight from the bible......we will return.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    After retirement, it is crucial to keep your attitude positive! You no longer have success on the job and that feeling of accomplishment so you need to get those strokes elsewhere.

Happiness is something that you need to work on constantly. It is said that 1 negative "stroke" can wipe out between 7 and 11 positive ones. It depends upon who is telling the story but the numbers are irrelevant. Negative input is taken to heart while we let positive strokes bounce off of us.

I don't have a problem with cutting negative people out of my life. That's the primary reason that I'm on a vacation from women! Benefits derived from being around them are canceled out by their negativity. Churches got sacked years ago for the same reason.

I had a slip in attitude recently because I have felt like Hell from allergies, my eye lids are all swelled up and vision is crappy. OK....I got into a "pity pot" so I worked at being around positive things until I got straightened up. Things are better now inside even though my eyes still suck.

I'd dump the negative preacher. There are lots of other places to be and you DID try to change his attitude. He's working his own agenda. You work yours.

Flash

Last edited:

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Hey Roger. My post was several years old but glad you found and commented. I did just what you and others suggested......changed churches but really missed our friends.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    But we win in the end. But remember the gospel( greek) is good news!!
    But also keep in mind that he told us rough times ahead. Hence the gospel.. But we dont dwell on the neg.
    Please keep in mind your job is to encourage talk and take as many as you can with you!!!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Fire and brimstone preachers have been predicting the imminent arrival of the Antichrist and the Apocalypse ever since I've been going to church. Do a little research and you'll find *exactly* the same thing has been happening for at least the last couple of thousand years.

As for this particular preacher, what did L. Ron Hubbard say? It was something to the effect of "If you want to get *really* rich, start a religion." So one preacher managed to gather a flock and get them to give him (personally) a bunch of money.

Not the first time. Won't be the last. It's a lucrative business model.

Now if he'd just come up with some novel theology, appeal to the baser instincts of his flock, tearfully and indignantly claim persecution by the government, and leverage a key group of fully-brainwashed insiders, then he could start bringing in the big bucks and living on a yacht. Sounds to me like his primary problem is not thinking big enough.

Yes, I'm in a mildly cynical mood at the moment.;)

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Fire and brimstone preachers have been predicting the imminent arrival of the Antichrist and the Apocalypse ever since I've been going to church. Do a little research and you'll find *exactly* the same thing has been happening for at least the last couple of thousand years.

As for this particular preacher, what did L. Ron Hubbard say? It was something to the effect of "If you want to get *really* rich, start a religion." So one preacher managed to gather a flock and get them to give him (personally) a bunch of money.

Not the first time. Won't be the last. It's a lucrative business model.

Now if he'd just come up with some novel theology, appeal to the baser instincts of his flock, tearfully and indignantly claim persecution by the government, and leverage a key group of fully-brainwashed insiders, then he could start bringing in the big bucks and living on a yacht. Sounds to me like his primary problem is not thinking big enough.

Yes, I'm in a mildly cynical mood at the moment.;)
    i see but sometimes its just the way it is

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    But we win in the end. But remember the gospel( greek) is good news!!
    But also keep in mind that he told us rough times ahead. Hence the gospel.. But we dont dwell on the neg.
    Please keep in mind your job is to encourage talk and take as many as you can with you!!!

Well said sir!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Interesting - most churches have had to avoid mentioning politics or risk losing their tax exempt status (per the IRS branch of Obama's Gestapo).

I don't know, probably the simplest advice is for you to behave yourself so you don't have to go to church so often!

There's a couple of those Giga-churches around here that will give you a complete entertainment package for your Sunday worship - songs, videos, dancing, etc. - and I guarantee that the message will be happy-happy-happy. (In effect, the message is "Join and give us your money and God will make you as ecstatic about life as we are.") I truly dislike those places, for a whole variety of reasons, but if they fill your needs then I'm ok with that.

Top Bottom