Lynx Defense

Tired of shooting paper... Anyone have an alternative place to shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GGarcia187

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Don't get me wrong, I like to shoot at the range. I'm a once a week paper killer. However, I do get tired of shooting paper sometimes and like shooting at other things. Does anyone have a place where we can shoot other things such as water buckets, watermelons, wood made targets, mannequins, etc. I have a friend that owns a junkyard in Rockwall that lets us shoot cars once in awhile. It's way more fun than shooting paper.

I would be more than happy to pay, shoot, and help clean up. Where else do you guys shoot non paper targets?

I'm in Rowlett, TX by the way.
    ARJ Defense ad

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Don't get me wrong, I like to shoot at the range. I'm a once a week paper killer. However, I do get tired of shooting paper sometimes and like shooting at other things. Does anyone have a place where we can shoot other things such as water buckets, watermelons, wood made targets, mannequins, etc. I have a friend that owns a junkyard in Rockwall that lets us shoot cars once in awhile. It's way more fun than shooting paper.

I would be more than happy to pay, shoot, and help clean up. Where else do you guys shoot non paper targets?

I'm in Rowlett, TX by the way.

Every once in a while I will take some empty milk jugs fill them with water and if I'm feeling greedy I add food coloring to make them real easy to see from a distance. I live in Idaho so open range areas are allowed to be used for shooting.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I go to my friends ranch and shoot about anything I want in a dried up fish tank. Full soda cans are fun to shoot with large calibers, they turn into a misty haze and chunks of aluminum. The funny thing is my friend is a complete hippy, how we get along is strangely unique.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A hippie with a ranch thats ok with gunsMight be picking thing off of cow pies after the rains. Could be growing stuff as well. I met a rancher that was a drunken weedhead. Did much care for guns but loved the income from leasing out the place.

GGarcia187

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I would definitely be more than willing to pay for a place to shoot in Dallas. I would also clean up and you would never know I was there. =)

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I would definitely be more than willing to pay for a place to shoot in Dallas. I would also clean up and you would never know I was there. =)

Same here advertised in local papers however most landowners are concerned over a sue happy public it is a shame.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Same here advertised in local papers however most landowners are concerned over a sue happy public it is a shame.

It definitely sucks having so many sue happy people around. Seems like they sue just because they can, even if the cause was their own stupidity which most of the time it is.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    Have you tried shooting at clay targets that the skeet/trap shotgun users use? Of course the hard part would be figuring out how to hang them depending on where you were shooting. There are also clay targets that are biodegradeable from what I understand.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    what happened to people knowing public non-range shooting spots anyway? Hell I'm from California and there was places you could go right off the road down a ditch and shoot at the side of the hill.... it wasn't anybody's property that I knew off, and even off duty cops would come out there with their pistols and shoot. And if you can do that in California, there has to be spots like that in TX :)

Infamous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    North Dallas
    what happened to people knowing public non-range shooting spots anyway? Hell I'm from California and there was places you could go right off the road down a ditch and shoot at the side of the hill.... it wasn't anybody's property that I knew off, and even off duty cops would come out there with their pistols and shoot. And if you can do that in California, there has to be spots like that in TX :)

i lived in socal for the past few years and we could juts go to the high desert and shoot (there was a BLM/park ranger map)

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Probably a few holdouts. Typically, the fastest way to lose a privilege is to abuse it, ie: start bringing large/larger groups of people. My guess is that those with a place don't necessarily want to share it, except with a few close friends?

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    I live outside any city limits and have enough land to shoot on. I built a berm down by the creek and shoot pistol and rimfire there, but we do have some neighbors only 5-10 acres away so I don't shoot rifles at all or even pistols all that often because I don't want to annoy them. But at least I can blast anything I want to.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I either go to the local shooting range or find a good place to pull off of a back road that has a great backstop and shoot there.

GGarcia187

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I live outside any city limits and have enough land to shoot on. I built a berm down by the creek and shoot pistol and rimfire there, but we do have some neighbors only 5-10 acres away so I don't shoot rifles at all or even pistols all that often because I don't want to annoy them. But at least I can blast anything I want to.

I'm jealous...

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    I'm a hold out. My wife's family has 500 or acres of woodlands about a 1.5 hours or so east of Dallas and another 2000 acrea or so out near Pampa. They go out there every few months with the guys from the office at her folks business and some clients and shoot whatever they can drag out. They keep it clean, especially since the guys at the office are working on getting it turned into a nice deer lease.

The Pampa land is all leased to a farmer, but they apparently kept the hunting rights so they can go bird hunting out there. Been working on getting the Father in law to let me take my rifles out and try some longrange stuff our there before the wind-turbines go in.

There real particular about letting folks out though. Some of the relatives used to go out there all the time to the east texas property and shoot, but they or their friends turned the range area into a virtual trash dump that took a couple roll-off boxes to clean-up. Since then its been immediate family and close friends under supervision.

If it was closer I would probably loose my job for trying to be out there all the time.

Malladus

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I'm a hold out. My wife's family has 500 or acres of woodlands about a 1.5 hours or so east of Dallas and another 2000 acrea or so out near Pampa. They go out there every few months with the guys from the office at her folks business and some clients and shoot whatever they can drag out. They keep it clean, especially since the guys at the office are working on getting it turned into a nice deer lease.

The Pampa land is all leased to a farmer, but they apparently kept the hunting rights so they can go bird hunting out there. Been working on getting the Father in law to let me take my rifles out and try some longrange stuff our there before the wind-turbines go in.

There real particular about letting folks out though. Some of the relatives used to go out there all the time to the east texas property and shoot, but they or their friends turned the range area into a virtual trash dump that took a couple roll-off boxes to clean-up. Since then its been immediate family and close friends under supervision.

If it was closer I would probably loose my job for trying to be out there all the time.

Malladus

I wish I had property like that, I'd have a great range setup, however I don't so darn. :banghead:

I hate people that are given the privilege to use someone else's property for recreation and they trash it. They should be charged a cleanup fee. A sign in/out roster should be kept and the area should be cleared by the owner before the user(s) are allowed to leave. Sounds kind of military like, but I guess if your running some sort of range business something would have to be done, or as you said it will become a trash dump.

Even where I shoot people think that its free dump grounds. Pisses me off that people do that especially since the dump is like 3 miles closer than where they're dumping stuff, and if you live in the county limits dumping at the dump is free. wow, can't get any better than that, but people still insist on illegal dumping.

satx40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    San Antonio
    Have you tried USPSA or IDPA or Steel Challenge? There should be several clubs in the Dallas area. This is way more fun than shooting paper.

Art

dglockster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    The public Elm Fork Gun Range on Luna Road in Dallas has a steel plate bay. That'll get you away from paper. The plates fall when they are hit so you get the sound of the bullet striking the steel as well as the plates moving.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.

Malladus

Is that where we are going to shoot your rifles?;)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom