• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Awesome! I think that might be a good substitute. Still looks like it has a mirror finish on it too. I wonder if they can do different tints to it? I don't want it too yellow or dark. I prefer the lighter gold tint.

I don't think it can be tinted. If it could you'd see Brest awareness drill bits at Lowe's if it could. Saw blade, something...

To get the mirror finish the part has to be mirror. TiN doesn't build up. All the pins, firing pin, rails all fit like they did after plating. Nothing fit tighter after.
    ARJ Defense ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I had a glock34 barrel coated recently for $60 by MG precision

I thought about just the barrel. But since the entire slide is coated. Everything that touches it rides on TiN. So in a way the firing pin, disconnector, barrel, frame rails use TiN as a surface. It's like they're coated as if the slide is not.

R1Rider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    Where can we get TiN coating on the cheap?

I'll dig through my emails and find his contact info.

It's anything but cheap. When I looked around for prices, I found only a few bucks difference. Expect to pay at least $100+ to plate a barrel or bolt carrier. I think the price of plating includes the cost of the walk in vapor oven?

you are paying those prices because you are looking up people that have found a small market to extort. Do you think companies that produced drill bits and end mills are paying $100 each to have them coated? no..... If I remember correctly, barrels were around $40 to be coated. That was for a basic prep. If you want it polished before coating the price went up slightly due to the added labor.

So the place GHG used consists of thieving scumbags, and it can be done at a fraction of the cost. But you didn't bother giving a link or name the place that will do it at a fraction of the cost. Only that you "found a guy" that sends stuff out and has it done cheaper. And then, nothing of what the results look like or the quality of the results. I saw pictures of the completed work. The quality was fine. The companies that do the coatings are professionals, not like these hacks that are painting AR's out of their garage.

Skeptical.

Where, on that pistol, does the inside of the frame rub on the barrel?

inside top of the slide rubs on those 2 rings/bushings on the barrel.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'll dig through my emails and find his contact info.

you are paying those prices because you are looking up people that have found a small market to extort. Do you think companies that produced drill bits and end mills are paying $100 each to have them coated? no.....
    Thanks for looking. I'm really curious as to what you find.

I'm thinking a large part of it is the scale. The people coating drill bits are doing batches of thousands of parts. I could see why someone might charge about the same for a couple of gun parts as they would for a thousand tool bits. It would essentially be the same amount of labor for them.

R1Rider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    thats exactly it...... they are throwing them in with a current batch. They expect most all prep work to be done prior.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    What an awesome problem to have.

Lol, right? It's was on a book shelf between some stuff. It's been sitting there for a couple of years. Or three. Hell, maybe four(?)

It's promised to my first born son. It's still the same polished gold tone as it was the day I got it plated.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The picture of the Ruger is the only one I have. That thing was sold about 7 years ago.

Hand polished to mirror. Somebody in this world has it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom