• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Was at Cabela’s yesterday and was fondling guns and really thinking how I can afford a new gun right now.
    The 1st gun was a Colt full sized 45 acp, very nice and pricey.
    Next was a Glock, nice, very nice and price was fair but dam ugly gun – IMO
    After that was a Browning, sweet sweet gun but like the Colt just a little too pricey.
    Then the Rock Island and very nice and price was good but just didn’t feel as balanced as the others – may just be my hands though as these are very nice guns.
    Then I picked up the Springfield XD and in the full sized version it felt nice, fit my hand well, nice looking gun and price was good but wait.
    I picked up the XD compact 45acp and love at first feel.!!!!
    Man I like it. Fit was good, feel was great and weight and size were what I was looking for and as for price just a little less than the full sized version.
    Ok, here is my dilemma – I took a huge pay cut at the 1st of the year (auto industry)
    I can put it in layaway for 20% down and have 90 days to pay it off.
    I do that and I can’t afford any reloading supplies.
    Now I have 900 rounds of 9mm on the shelf, 300 rounds of 44 mag, 200 rounds of 44 spl and 200 rounds of 357 mag.
    3 months is a long time to go without keeping up on loading supplies in the market we have right now and with a new pistol on the way you know I got to have some ammo to feed it once its mine.
    So what would you do???
    Wait for the ammo / supplies bubble to burst first?
    Buy the gun and hope for the best?
    What???
    I don’t want to buy a new gun to get to the end and have no ammo for any of my hungry lead chomping shooters!!!
    HK Boy just stopped by and slapped me and goes “it’s a want not a need right now”
    Dam I’m cornfuzed!!!

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Sounds like you kinda SOL if ya buy it cause 45 ammo is scarce (at least down my way), wasn't listed as something you reload and therfore adds an additional price for new reloading if you go down that road.

The XD is a nice handgun and I'm sure you'd be pleased with the purchase. I don't forsee the price of the Xd's changing all that much in the near future either so waiting shouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think either... so all in all sounds like you have a delima on your hands.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    They make these little rectangular pieces of plastic with raised numbers on them which can be used to purchase. No layaway, 10 bucks a month for the rest of your life. Next problem please.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    They make these little rectangular pieces of plastic with raised numbers on them which can be used to purchase. No layaway, 10 bucks a month for the rest of your life. Next problem please.
    Nope, no more. Canceled all but one in the last month and still have a small balance to pay off there.
    After that, If I don't have the cash I don't have to have it. Layaway is the only way.
    Thanks anyway Army!

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    Nope, no more. Canceled all but one in the last month and still have a small balance to pay off there.
    After that, If I don't have the cash I don't have to have it. Layaway is the only way.
    Thanks anyway Army!

Good call, MadMo! I know it's hard, but just save the money over the 90 days you would have paid the layaway and pay cash. You'll feel a lot better about it in the long run!

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I knew if I posted this y'all could talk me back down from the gun stratosphere
    Last new gun I bought was 8 years ago - yeah 8 years.
    I use to buy a new gun every 3 - 4 months but when the kids got to that age money got shifted to other priorities.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Leave the gun on the shelf where it is.
    You can do what us poor folks have been known to do...TRADE!

When I have something for a few years and get bored with it or I am streamlining my collection I trade for something "new".

Worst case you can buy it used a year or 2 down the road when (hopefully) the new Springfield XDM 45 comes out.

Summary:
    Trade for the gun or save your coin for ammo.

Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    Yeah ... I'm with the others on this. Wait until you have cash on hand and are ready to go, then pull the trigger. If buying now puts a damper on your reloading, you're going to go crazy having a new gun with no ammo, and no ammo for your others either.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you have to put it on lay-a-way it means you can't afford it, and shouldn't buy it. Lay-a-way should be reserved for something scarce that will retain it's value, like a 9mm Series 70 Colt... and there's nothing scarce about the gun in question, so that defeats that idea.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    XD's are not going anywhere, why do a layaway unless it's a super price, and I kind of doubt that from Cabela's. Their gun prices are on the high end most times. Check Sporting Arms of Lewisville and I'll bet they are lower... you can check on line. Then just put 20 bucks or so in the coffee can, or some such until you've done your own lay-a-away.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Thanks folks just jonzin for a new gun, been a long time and you know when you spend time fondling new guns is like fondling a fine woman, just makes you want it real bad. LOL!!!
    Safe to say I'll wait but dam it was nice!

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Was at Cabela’s yesterday and was fondling guns and really thinking how I can afford a new gun right now.
    The 1st gun was a Colt full sized 45 acp, very nice and pricey.
    Next was a Glock, nice, very nice and price was fair but dam ugly gun – IMO
    After that was a Browning, sweet sweet gun but like the Colt just a little too pricey.
    Then the Rock Island and very nice and price was good but just didn’t feel as balanced as the others – may just be my hands though as these are very nice guns.
    Then I picked up the Springfield XD and in the full sized version it felt nice, fit my hand well, nice looking gun and price was good but wait.
    I picked up the XD compact 45acp and love at first feel.!!!!
    Man I like it. Fit was good, feel was great and weight and size were what I was looking for and as for price just a little less than the full sized version.
    Ok, here is my dilemma – I took a huge pay cut at the 1st of the year (auto industry)
    I can put it in layaway for 20% down and have 90 days to pay it off.
    I do that and I can’t afford any reloading supplies.
    Now I have 900 rounds of 9mm on the shelf, 300 rounds of 44 mag, 200 rounds of 44 spl and 200 rounds of 357 mag.
    3 months is a long time to go without keeping up on loading supplies in the market we have right now and with a new pistol on the way you know I got to have some ammo to feed it once its mine.
    So what would you do???
    Wait for the ammo / supplies bubble to burst first?
    Buy the gun and hope for the best?
    What???
    I don’t want to buy a new gun to get to the end and have no ammo for any of my hungry lead chomping shooters!!!
    HK Boy just stopped by and slapped me and goes “it’s a want not a need right now”
    Dam I’m cornfuzed!!!

Damn I wish I had known you were gonna be there a friend of mine and I were there yesterday he bought a .22.

Top Bottom